Anybody lose disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody lose disability?

Has anybody hadthe experience of being declared NOT disabled when they reach 65 or 66. I've been receiving SSDI for years and just got a Notice of Action saying I'm no longer disabled and will be receiving regular Social Security rather than SSDI because of my age. If I'm not disabled then I am no longer eligible to receive 250% Disabled Worker Program which protected me from a share of cost larger than my award amount. This according to my social worker. I'm in Los Angeles.

A friend of mine when through that.

After finding a lawyer who is familiar with MS, she was able to get all of her benefits back. It took over 6 months.
    It's happened before but can be won.

Sorry.

Stress can cause flares for many, so try to pace yourself as much as possible during this difficult time.

Comment

Actually, everybody on SSDI has that experience when they reach 65 or 66. It's standard procedure for the Social Security Administration to transition all SSDI beneficiaries to regular retirement benefits when they reach full retirement age.

Comment

Yikes! I had not heard that. I don't think I'm getting a greater amount of SS than I would get if I waited until I was 65 (I'm 59 started SS at 49).

Are you saying your benefit remain the same but the label disabled is removed and you can no longer receive other benefits? ..thanks for giving me "heads up" to be aware of this
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ility-benefits

http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org...50/program.htm

I don't think there's a huge reason to panic, just some wrinkles to iron out. As Redwings pointed out, when you reach full retirement age, everyone's SS benefits become SS retirement and not SSDI. They make the assumption that at that age you would have retired or at least become eligible to receive plain ole SS.

The program the OP mentioned is one that covers your Medic-Aid ( CA's in my link, so it's called Medi-Cal) if your income is low enough. The rate is 250% FPL, which according to the link is $2042 as of 2006 . To figure your eligibility requirements, your assets and income are added up. Disability income is excluded, but regular SS isn't.

A person is still disabled and can qualify for disability programs. Financialyl based programs like Medic-Aid are also still available as long as the requirements are still met. In the OP's case and, I imagine, twisterred's friend, it's a matter of getting all the t's crossed and i's dotted to show that the requirements are still met. Of course, a lawyer or a very good social worker always comes in handy there.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
            http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ility-benefits

http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org...50/program.htm

I don't think there's a huge reason to panic, just some wrinkles to iron out. As Redwings pointed out, when you reach full retirement age, everyone's SS benefits become SS retirement and not SSDI. They make the assumption that at that age you would have retired or at least become eligible to receive plain ole SS.

The program the OP mentioned is one that covers your Medic-Aid ( CA's in my link, so it's called Medi-Cal) if your income is low enough. The rate is 250% FPL, which according to the link is $2042 as of 2006 . To figure your eligibility requirements, your assets and income are added up. Disability income is excluded, but regular SS isn't.

A person is still disabled and can qualify for disability programs. Financialyl based programs like Medic-Aid are also still available as long as the requirements are still met. In the OP's case and, I imagine, twisterred's friend, it's a matter of getting all the t's crossed and i's dotted to show that the requirements are still met. Of course, a lawyer or a very good social worker always comes in handy there.
            thanks for your high

Comment

Regarding disability

Thanks for your applying

Comment

Thanks to all for replying. I'm not sure who OP is in the last post.?? I can see a lawyer is necessary to fight this.

Comment

Originally posted by jw90019 View Post
                  Thanks to all for replying. I'm not sure who OP is in the last post.?? I can see a lawyer is necessary to fight this.
                  OP= original poster, in this case, you.

Wish you luck straightening it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X