Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E.D. from medications or E.D. from MS

Hi guys,
    let me preface this (for those who have not read my post before) by stating that I've been in limbo for 2yrs.

Previous to the un-diagnosed neurological symptoms ( I won't go into them all) I was diagnosed with and have been treated successfully for migraines and severe IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease). I was prescribed Amitryptilene(started in 09) for the IBD and Topomax (started in 06). I've been on the lowest doses and both medications have been very helpful with treating my symptoms and without any side effects... until recently. With in the last six months or so I've had issues with erectile dysfunction, which I didn't have before. Now I know that both of those meds have similar side effects that mimic symptoms of MS, such as ED and fatigue, but I've been taking them both together for awhile now (I've also had other symptoms that are not listed as side effects, but are common with MS) . So I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had similar issues? Could it be the medications or could it be from MS? Any feedback would be great.
    Thanks,
    Jsox.

Posts in this forum can go awhile before you get a response but here's my thoughts. I would think that a side effect like that would show up all along. Erectile problems are very common for men with MS. Did the point six months ago correlate with anything else MS related. When it first showed up for me it came at the same time as some leg and bladder issues, Thats a fairly distinctive male MS trifecta.

Another possibility is a combination of both.
    Steve
    sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Hey Skreynolds,
      Thanks for responding. I agree with you. I think a side effect would show up almost right away. In answer to your question, I can't remember anything specific going on at the time. I do keep a running log of my symptoms, so I think I might go back through and see what else if anything was going on at that time. I do have pain from time to time down there and have to go frequently when there is pain. I have been tested for UTIs , which have all come back negative. I've been to a urologist and he seemed to think it was more neurological in nature.
      Thanks for the feedback.
      -jsox

Comment

UTIs are important to rule out. I've had them along the way but sexual and bladder issues together are something that is leading to more certainty, in my opinion.

Here's the issue. If you are still early, the chances of MS specific medications helping you are greater. Hopefully you have a neuro that you can get a plan of action worked out.
        Steve
        sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Working...
        X