How do you deal with this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with this??

I cannot hook my bra most days. I mean it takes me forever. How do you deal with this? My fingers are so number and I cannot feel what I am doing! Help for a newbie please!
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

a sports bra maybe? I'm not confident of their support but there are no hooks!

If I could get away with it, I wouldn't wear a "torture device"
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I put it on backwards first that way the hooks are in the front and I can see what I am doing then twist it around the right way to put my arms through the straps. Makes it so much easier!
      Rae Roy

Comment

Originally posted by RoyaleMSer View Post
        I put it on backwards first that way the hooks are in the front and I can see what I am doing then twist it around the right way to put my arms through the straps. Makes it so much easier!
        Exactly! That's what I've done since I was old enough to need one.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyaleMSer View Post
          Originally posted by Alicious View Post
          Me too!

Have you seen those new one-piece bras that have been making the rounds on the shopping channels and infomercials? I'm talking about the "real" bras like the Ahh Bra, not the camisole-type things that promise to squeeze someone into a top that's two sizes too small and they shouldn't be wearing anyway. I haven't tried one, but they look like they offer reasonably good support and comfort, and there are no hooks or wires to fuss with. They're supposed to be as simple as stepping into and pulling up (or probably pulling down from the top). Plus, they look like they're meant to be shapely and be worn under regular clothes. My sports bras (which have hooks) don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
            Same here. Learned this at a bra party.
            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I tried the sports bra and I though it felt rather like a prison. Also, it's very hard to get into.

I used the sporty top and because my rack isn't small, that feels very wiggly.

I bought a bra which closes upfront and lack the strength to close it over my sizy boobs, because that takes even more strength than a normal bra.

So, I am back to the old way: close a bra at the front and slide it around to the back.

Comment

i use the bras that do up at the front, even though i am well endowed, i find the type with no underwires are easier to put on and while like you i cannot just pull the 2 sides together to do them up, i have found that i can push it of the girls into the cups and that then holds the 2 edges close enough to make it easier to do up!

my big complaint was how much more expensive the front opening type are, i went to a local bra shop and spoke to a lady who is a very experienced fitter ( she deals with ladies who have had mastectomies etc all the time) and explained the problems i had and she showed me a standard type of bra that she thought was good for me, but with a back opening and she then made sure i had the correct size and THEN she referred me to a friend of hers who is a seamstress who has divided the bra at the front and put a velcro strip to close them- she has recommended this to quite a few older or disabled women and it has worked well for me.

it may b worth you finding a lady like i did who still does the measuring and fitting rather than a simple saleswoman, they are used to dealing with the less common problems as it is mainly hard to fit people etc who still bother to have bras correctly fitted

Comment

Maybe try a bra that has a velcro closure. I know they make them. Just do a Google search and you should find some.
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I hope it's okay to post this, but this company has a lot of clothing for those with mobility problems, including bras with velcro and snap closures.

http://www.silverts.com/shop-women/
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
                      Same here. Learned this at a bra party.
                      A bra party?!?! I must have had a deprived childhood ...
                      DX 10/2008
                      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have heard of them too. They are called Upperware parties.

Comment

Thanks Ladies, I am going to put my bra on backwards. I have heard of a lot of parties, but never a BRA PARTY! LOL

I need to find a place where I can get a fitted bra. I have yet to find one. I have been looking.
                          Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                          ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

I know you've already had this response but...put it on backwards. I also have to NOT unhook it and pull it up/down. My husband also has to hook/unhook it if he's around - so NOT sexy! LOL!!!

Comment

My mom taught me to do the hook in front, spin it around thing when I was getting my first bra and I've never stopped. Has any actually tried the velcro bra? That would have been handy when I was having my last flare, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be all that secure. I'm having visions of the girls breaking loose during an inappropriate time.

Comment

Working...
                              X