Newly Diagnosed 20 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Diagnosed 20 years old

hey guys so I was just recently diagnosed with MS last week I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or stories about what they did about it. It is just a lot of stress with this new diagnosis cause you do not know what is going to happen

My insight

Hey there I was diagnosed when I was 22, I'm now 23. It's a learning/grieving process that's for sure! I'm a young mom of two boys and I got dx 2 weeks after I got my associates degree. I was dx 8/30/10, I know it's nice to interact with this close to your age that can relate on that level.

I went to dr because of facial numbness and onc they FINALLY decided that it wasn't brought on by stress they sent me to neurologist ti get MRI... Before I got my results I had a full blown flare up.

My sx now are fatigue, cog fog, neuropathy, Spasticity, memory loss, optic neuritis etc. How are you dealing with everything? Where are you from? I'm in Texas.
    Ashley Ringstaff
    Ringer1319/RingpOP
    MSWorld Volunteer
    Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

I am in new jersey its a little shocking at first because I had no idea I was going to the doctor because i hurt my neck and was having some numbness and tingling in my right hand. I haven't had any other symptoms yet i just did a spinal tap on wednesday to defiantly diagnosis it.

Comment

I had a diagnosis like that. If you can, call your local NMSS society chapter and ask if they have some who can talk to you. I was able to speak to someone my age when I was first diagnosed. It was a huge benefit.

Comment

diagnosis

I was diagnosed at 20 aswell. I realised how supportive my friends are and because I tried to live a 'normal' life, everyone still treats me the same as they always have.

Comment

I was diagnosed at 19. Fresh into college, life just starting... it was stressful to say the least. I was one of the lucky ones. It was a fairly quick time from suspicion to confirmation of M.S. I had a wonderful neuro (after I was released from the hospital) who had everything ready to go. He started me on Avonex, I took that for about a year before going off of it (it was great, but the mental/emotional toll for me was hectic).

Take it one day at a time, and when you start to stress out, remember that it's not worth it. Remember that there are others like you who understand. You will get down, but remember that you will get back up again. There are days I wake up and I just cry. I understand that it's natural, and so I let it happen knowing that hopefully the next day will be a good day. I passed my one year with confirmed MS, and I celebrated it. Celebrate everything good, and take everything bad as a learning experience. I hope you make friends here, and talk about what you are going through. For many people it's often difficult to talk about it with non-MSers. I hope you have a wonderful day, and may hope shine through your eyes.
            Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
            Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Was your MRI Contrasted with injected dye??

Originally posted by RingpOP View Post
              Hey there I was diagnosed when I was 22, I'm now 23. It's a learning/grieving process that's for sure! I'm a young mom of two boys and I got dx 2 weeks after I got my associates degree. I was dx 8/30/10, I know it's nice to interact with this close to your age that can relate on that level.

I went to dr because of facial numbness and once they FINALLY decided that it wasn't brought on by stress they sent me to neurologist ti get MRI... Before I got my results I had a full blown flare up.

My sx now are fatigue, cog fog, neuropathy, Spasticity, memory loss, optic neuritis etc. How are you dealing with everything? Where are you from? I'm in Texas.
              I ask because I have beens uffering for 10 years and still have no diagnosis. Had 3 separate Neurologists check me out, but never inject dye for some reason...?

Comment

you know, its weird when you are 20 and you're the one who has the most tips. lol

i was dxd at 13. took me about a year to accept it, and another year-year and a half to stop mourning my old life/old dreams. because the grieving process that you will/should go threw is just that, because in a way, you did die, to a certain extent. obviously, it will be different for everyone.

because of MS, i lost almost everything that i had defined myself by. it took a year to 'find' myself again.

one morning i woke up and thought(almost an epiphany) "you know, MS sucks, but that doesn't mean that life has to"

that was the first lesson MS taught me. MS is a teacher. the best and worse one. the worst teachers wont make you blind (or w/e), but the best teachers never run out of things to teach you. and you will never forget what they taught you.

other things ive learned:

life is a game of poker. you cant control your hand, but you can control how you play them.

MS is a mountain blocking you on your road of life. there is no way around it. you have two options. one: sit there, never move forward. two: climb it.

Dance like no one's watching, and look at the beauty today, because no one knows what tomorrow will bring

finally, laugh at yourself, otherwise you will only look at the bad side of this *********. besides, once the olympic comity approves tripping over flat surfaces as a sport, one of us will be famous.
                Learn from yesterday
                Live for today
                Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
                  I had a diagnosis like that. If you can, call your local NMSS society chapter and ask if they have some who can talk to you. I was able to speak to someone my age when I was first diagnosed. It was a huge benefit.
                  That's what I do. I volunteer with the St. Louis, MO chapter, speaking to people in their teens and 20s with a new diagnosis. I tell them my story, about how difficult it has been, and what I've overcome. Then I let them tell me their stories, and what they want out of life. So far I've talked two people into going back to school and staying in school. And I make sure that they know that as much as I am helping them feel worthwhile, they are doing the same for me.

Comment

hi morganxox322,
                    my name is christy and i am 31 a mother of 3 and wife of ten yrs. i to was recently dx with ms in april of 2011. you will have good days and bad days. it is ok to cry. trust me you will do alot of it. i still do. it is good to talk about what ever you are feeling to anyone who will listen, it is good to scream, yell and be mad. but at the end of the day you still have ms and cant change that. you will learn that ms doesnt control you, you control it. its way easier said than done..trust me i am still learning. listen to your doctor, take your meds, it will be hard to adjust to your new life but you will. when you get down just remember god has your back and wouldnt give you anything you couldnt handle regardless of how you are feeling at that moment. again its easier said than done. trust your instinct, but most of all love your kids, husband and family after all thats truly what your life is and should be about.

~christy's ms~
                    ~Christy's MS~

Comment

Stay positive, I am not in your age group but can say I have had sx since I was in my mid 20's (over 30 yrs now) I still am able to play golf a few days a week and do a lot of other things that I like to do, you will have to make some accomadations for your MS but don't let it stop you from enjoying life as much as you can. I don't play golf as well as I used to but some of it is do to my old age rather than MS but am enjoying it more than I ever have.

I am on Tysabri, ampyra and use a walkaide.
                      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hey Morgan,

I am also 20 years old and was diagnosed this past November. I also went to the dpctor thinking I had a pinched nerve in my back, and viola, eleven days later I was hit with "you have MS." The whole first month I was like a robot. I had to comfort my parents and try to convince them I would be okay while feeling like I was completely insane. I felt like I couldn't relate to anyone plus I stayed locked away and hid from everyone as much as I could.

By January I had to distract myself so I did as many things to keep busy as possible (not necessarily energy-draining). That helped a lot. Especially spending time with friends and meeting new people to remember you aren't defined by your MS.

It has been seven months since I was diagnosed and I have to admit I still think about it every day, but not at all in the same way. You learn quickly how to accomodate yourself and adjust to new needs. I never thought I'd want to do trials, but now I am comfortable enough to look for anything they need help with. Anything to put this to a hault and prevent people from being put in our position.

It has made me so much stronger and braver than before. You will learn to take great care of yourself, but it does take time to come to terms with this. It may take a week, a month, or a year but it will happen no matter how you are feeling now.

Just remember to take care of yourself (emotionally and physically) and that there are so many people here who can help you anytime you need it! Get to know as much about MS and all the medications as much as you possibly can also.

And I agree with jojo, I wish I had heard all of that when I was first diagnosed.

Feel better!
                        "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
                        is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Having a difficult time, newly diagnosed

Hello All - I was recently diagnosed this Friday 7/1 and I'm not dealing with it too well.

When I was 16 I had a flair up consisting of memory loss, fuzzy slow thinking, optic neuritis & severe fatigue; all of this lasting months & months. After a few tests & MRI's the doctors told my mom they suspected MS, she refused any further tests or treatments after that. I'm not sure why exactly.

Now it's 10 years later & I was admitted into the hospital for 5 days of IV steroids two weeks ago for optic neuritis, my MRI's are showing way more spots than 10 years ago & 'plaque' on my upper spinal column - leading to my diagnosis date of this Friday, my mom's 55th birthday.

I need help. What's my first move b/c I'm thinking a second opinion & my Dr. wants me on Copaxone asap.

Comment

Starting copaxone won't necessarily be a bad thing (it's a standard MS treatment, and you haven't been on anything up to this point). But if you want a second opinion, definitely get one. It's better to do that than always wonder what if.

Honestly, though, your next step is probably to give yourself a chance to process what's happened. It's hard to make medical decisions when you're overwhelmed.

Comment

Thanks guys reading all ur posts helps me get through it a little better each day

Comment

Working...
                              X