Short-term but acute stress & MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short-term but acute stress & MS

Stress and MS..... We all know it happens but I had a most interesting experience recently regarding intense, short-term stress. This might be long....

I downhill ski. Yes, I realize how fortunate I am to still be able to ski. I also have what I call my, "wonky leg". Basically, I have spasticity and a limp. I have both a cervical and thoracic lesion that cause it to not function at 100%. Since my relapse a year ago I can not bend it more than 90 degrees. It is often stiff, hence the spasticity but I keep on going.

I was skiing in Whistler, British Columbia - The Rockies. The hard stuff at the very summit of Blackcomb Mountain. I took a pretty bad fall (Google, " yard sale skiing" and watch a video and you'll understand what I mean by a bad fall ). After laying there, on the ski run, for a few minutes and assessing my state I decided I was okay. Of course, this is after half a dozen people stopped to pick up allll my gear that came off and stood there making sure I wasn't requiring the help of ski patrol or, worse, an air-vac. Yes, embarrassing! Anyway, after I did a quick head to toe assessment of myself I got up, dusted off all the snow, and put my skis back on.

Here's where stress and MS come together.....

I started down the hill again only to discover that I could NOT engage that wonky leg to make a right turn. My brain could not get the signal to my leg. I had never experienced complete lack of ability getting a limb moving. It scared the crap out of me! So I stood there and just calmed myself and focused on breathing. After about ten minutes my brain-to-leg connection started working again and I was fine the rest of the trip. I shared because I thought it was an interesting example of how an intense, sudden stressor can adversely affect our MS status.

I am grateful for this gift of still being able to ski. And now I deal with a week of increased spasticity from the increased use and muscle fatigue. In short, I am knackered in each and every way. I feel like I need a week laying around on the couch with my dog. But, alas, here I am at work. With MS it always seems we have to give A LOT to enjoy a little.​
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

I'm glad you're OK after that fall, Pistachio! It's great you can still enjoy skiing. I'm sure it was scary, though, when you realized your right leg wasn't getting the signal from brain to turn. Good you didn't panic and took the time to just calm yourself down and breathe, and were fine for the rest of your trip.

Before I was diagnosed, I fell down the basement stairs when my right leg didn't the signal to put my foot down. I lifted my leg up to step over our cat who was on the landing, and when I went to put my foot down it just didn't happen. I thought I was just being a klutz. I'm lucky I didn't break anything, but was bruised up pretty bad. We lived in a colonial, and as time went by, sometimes my foot wouldn't lift up enough when I was going up the stairs to the second floor of our home and I'd trip or I'd find myself misstepping as I went down. Thought I was becoming more and more of klutz. Always made sure to have a grip on the handrail!

Hope you have some baclofen to help with the spasticity, and it gets better soon. Relax and cuddle with your doggie as much as you can!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you, Kimba. Yes, I have some baclofen and I slightly increased my dose these past few days to deal with the spasticity.
      "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
      ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Very scary! Amazing and really happy to hear no injuries. So glad though you are able to get out and enjoy the outdoors doing something you love. Hope the spasticity lessens for you.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X