News about 90 year old MS Society volunteer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News about 90 year old MS Society volunteer

Did you guys see this? If taken as reported I am shocked and saddened.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world...sh/ar-BB1il1Tm
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Thanks for the article Jules.

This is really sad. I feel bad for the longtime volunteer.

What the heck is going on in our culture?

People are thinking backwards, upside down, and nonsensical these days.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

So upsetting. It just seems that people are super sensitive these days. I truly think some of it is driven by our litigious society - don't like something, so sue Don't get me wrong, I know there are times when absolutely needed.

Companies and organizations try to avoid the possibility of a lawsuit/bad press at all costs. This time, it seems to have backfired. I truly feel so bad for this woman - she gave much of her life to this good cause. Heartbreaking for her.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        Did you guys see this? If taken as reported I am shocked and saddened.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world...sh/ar-BB1il1Tm

Well I'm younger but I don't understand what pronouns mean either. Maybe now the folks here at MSW will terminate my posts and threads?

A QCD check for 2023 was my first to the MS Society. And as it now appears, it will be my last.

Thanks Jules.

Comment

Oh for goodness sake. This is so pathetic and I, too, am saddened.

Talk about inclusion - Here is what her daughter says-

Elle Hamilton, Itkoff's daughter, said: 'To me it's ironic, because they are saying they are inclusive, but they are excluding a 90-year-old disabled woman who has volunteered for 60 years.'

Shame on you, MS Society
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am pretty sure that no one really cares wether she uses her pronouns in her email signature. Pretty sad.
            God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

This makes furious! I could not believe what I was reading. I read the whole article and I’m glad people are speaking out.
              I joined ms society when I was first diagnosed in2004 and have been Donating, well not any more. They can have their membership and I will be keeping my money. Telling her in a e-mail (give me a break) so shameful.
              My heart goes out to the 90 year old lady.

Thank You Jules
              God Bless Us All

Comment

And that it appears they doubled down on letting her go when the public expressed their upset....unbelievable.

I was waiting for their administration to apologize and beg her to return. My family's donations that were earmarked for them will be going elsewhere. It makes me especially sad because I thought this was the gold standard for MS organizations.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Over the years, I have had roughly 2 dozen NMSS encounters and none of them were positive.

I was a Golden Circle member for a couple of years, but stopped contributing to them all together.

I honestly hope others will loudly put their money in other places.

I can't imagine how this poor lady feels. They should be ashamed of themselves, but they circle the wagons. It's disgusting.

Here's a link to their asinine response: https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...manfy24_fi_xtw

Comment

Thanks Marco. That makes me even more annoyed. Why did they feel the need to publish her name and say she made statements viewed as not in align with their goals? Still seems like a blame game.

They could have just said that here was a miscommunication between the parties and that it is an educational opportunity for all.

I truly hope that by reaching out, they mean welcoming her back if she so desires. The also better apologize for letting her go via email - so impersonal.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Excerpt from the NMSS statement:

"Fran Itkoff, was asked to step away from her role because of statements that were viewed as not aligning with our policy of inclusion. Fran has been a valued member of our volunteer team for more than 60 years."

.So "inclusion" does not include people who express their own opinions that are different?

Her opinion no longer makes her a valued member of the volunteer team?

Did she "not include" somebody?

Geez...
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Statement from National Multiple Sclerosis Society

February 21, 2024

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society apologizes to our longtime, dedicated volunteer Fran Itkoff. Recently, we asked Fran to step down from her role as a group leader because of statements made that we viewed as not aligning with our recently implemented diversity, equity and inclusion policy. We realize now that we made a mistake, and we should have had more conversations with Fran before making this decision.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...erosis-Society

Comment

Thank you Marco for posting this. I’m glad they reached out to her and apologized but I don’t believe they are sincere. I still won’t be donating.
                          God Bless Us All

Comment

Finally, sigh.
                            Anonymous

Comment

If they were callus enough to do that then what else might be going on inside that organization is the question that comes to my mind. I really shouldn’t think like that.
                              It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
                              X