holy smokes!!! this excites me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy smokes!!! this excites me.

UAE scientists hold hope of finding MS cure as patient walks again after treatment

The Centre is testing a procedure to treat people with multiple sclerosis, called ECP.

White blood cells are drawn from a patient's body, then treated with a special drug that reacts to light, before finally being reinfused back into the person.

This therapy is designed to stop a type of white blood cell from attacking a patient's body from within.

Patients can register to participate in the clinical trials, if they are considered medically eligible.

The ADSCC has also participated in international trials involving injecting stem cells into the brain, with 15 patients participating so far.

It is the only medical centre in the region performing bone marrow stem cell transplants to treat MS patients.

"For the past 10 years, name a medication that has stopped progressive multiple sclerosis," Dr Al Kaabi said.

"What comes onto the market are other forms of the same medication, so why don't we explore new boundaries and see how we can regenerate organs and use neural stem cells?"

Remarkable improvement

Since the launch of the programme in 2022, four patients with progressive MS have undergone stem cell transplants to treat their symptoms.

All of the patients have shown remarkable improvement, the ADSCC said.

One, who had been confined to a wheelchair, regained the ability to walk without support after the procedure.

This is a procedure that the ADSCC has modified not only to be more accessible, but also less harsh on the body in some cases by using less toxic medications compared to chemotherapy.

Prof Yendry Ventura, research scientist and chief executive of the centre, said the new trials include efforts to regenerate damaged organs.

"We are fighting two battles, where we want to stop the cause of the disease and regenerate the damaged organ. For that, you need different approaches," he said.

"We are not only trying to treat but also trying to cure. This could be the answer to degenerative conditions where the brain is damaged."

If successful, it would be a breakthrough not only for the treatment of MS but also for other diseases such as diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and ALS. Timeframe

There is no timeline for when a cure may be possible, but that hasn't weakened the ADSCC team's resolve.

"What we can promise is that we are looking at as many potential options, areas, and disciplines that we can use for the benefit of the patient," Prof Ventura said.

"It is not easy, and we need to understand that these are not simple diseases but complex ones that have been affecting the world for a long time. But Abu Dhabi and specifically the ADSCC are paving the right path for a cure that is not only effective but also accessible to all.

He hopes to see a revolution not only for MS but also in cellular therapy and regenerative medicine in the next five years.

"There are a lot of scientists, health facilities, including us, working heavily in stem cell therapy and regenerative medicine," Prof Ventura added.

"I expect a lot of medical breakthroughs in the next few years."

https://www.thenationalnews.com/uae/...ter-treatment/

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ase-1/2-trial/

Comment

It is encouraging Marco.
      Hopefully we’ll hear more soon. If they all could put their heads together we would have a treatment that actually halts this mess.
      This is great news to report .
      Good stuff !
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Oh yeah, this is something to be excited about.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

That’s good news

Comment

Good news. It's hard for me to get excited though. Maybe I'm too pessimistic to believe that a cure is likely.

Sorry; I don't intend to be a downer.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X