Winter weather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter weather!

Most of the US in deep into winter weather with cold temps and snow! Here in the PNW we finally joined most of the rest of you with temps dipping way below freezing and lots of snow.

How are you all doing?
    Snowed in and being home-bound? Frozen pipes?
    How is this cold weather affecting your MS symptoms? (It makes me more spastic)
    How are you keeping busy?

Would love to hear from you all.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Hi Seasha.

Cold here too. Had our first snow, just 3 inches, followed by sleet and freezing rain. Tonight's low is 10, and another 2-3 inches coming Friday.

Our dog is built for cold weather, so he wants to be out alot. We had some pretty cold walks the last few days, but he is a happy guy. I am actually much better in cold then heat. Part of the reason I joke that I will retire to Maine and my husband to Florida.

Supposed to get to our cabin next week to check on it, but will depend on weather. Praying no broken pipes. They had a massive power outage in the whole county, thankfully just 12 hours at out place. They have had about 18 inches, with more to come. We have snow shoes, but it has been a few years since I used them. Would love to try again. Then again, the highs have only been in the single digits.

I just saw where Buffalo could get 3 feet of snow! I love snow, but that is a little too much.

Anyhow, think next week back to the 40s!

Stay warm and dry everyone!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I haven't been outside since last Friday, when we went to a funeral on my husband's side of the family. We were out during the height of the winter storm. Roads were a mess with heavy, wet snow and ice. It was also during evening rush hour. During the memorial service, there was thundersnow!

We were invited to my brother in law and sister in law's house afterward, but because the snow wouldn't be shoveled off their driveway or porch, didn't want to risk my husband falling trying to get me into their house with my manual wheelchair. Turned out to be a good thing we didn't go.

As we were leaving the funeral home, got a phone call from my almost 98 yr mother in law that her power was out. Surprisingly, for her, she asked if we could pick her up and spend the night at our house. In the past, she's refused to leave the house. A power line between her house and the neighbor's house was down and lying across the road. My husband had to back up in the direction we came, and onto a main road. Good thing there was another way to get to her house. The outage was over a good sized area, so not sure if was all from that downed line.

She slept in the room with my daughter's pet corn snake, and she's afraid of snakes! My daughter was getting her room ready for her so she didn't have to, but my MIL was tired and ready to go to bed. She doesn't see well due to glaucoma and cataracts, and didn't even notice the glass aquarium in the corner of the room. She also doesn't hear well and is starting to have memory problems, so don't think she fully comprehended what we told her about the snake. She wanted to go back home as soon she got up, but we kept her at our ho use until her power was restored later in the day.

My husband is working remotely from home this week because of construction at his work place. I don't have any appointments this week, so don't have to go anywhere. One of our vehicles was covered in ice, so my husband went out and chipped away at it yesterday so my daughter could use it.

Another inch or two of snow today, and again tomorrow. More subzero temps with the windchills this weekend, but 40's expected later next week.

The cold increases my spasticity, and once I get cold it takes a while for my body temperature to warm back up. My MS doesn't like the heat or the cold, but I pr

Originally posted by Pennstater
      I just saw where Buffalo could get 3 feet of snow! I love snow, but that is a little too much.
      My son lived there for 5 years when he was grad school, and said they great system for snow removal. I think the university only closed once due to snow the entire time he was there.

Now he lives in Florida and said he missed the cold when he was home for the holidays. Temperatures are below freezing at night now there, too! Last week it was tornadoes.

Hope we'll be done with the subzero temps after this weekend, and the rest of the winter is mild. Only 61 days until the calendar "says" it's spring!
      Last edited by KoKo; 01-18-2024, 02:01 PM.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Snowed a few inches on Sunday and started again last night. I am off today so hunkered down after shoveling and quick walks with the mutts. It is soft and pretty now but will turn icy later I'm sure.

I miss sitting outside on my patio in shorts! Every winter now DH and I discuss heading down to the Carolinas sooner than planned.
        Stay warm everyone!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Enjoyed hearing the story of your MIL and the snake, Kimba!

We are finally seeing the last of snow here (for now) with warmer temps and rains forecasted. It's all going to turn to slush.

4 days of being home bound for me. I'm getting a lot done inside though....even doing some sewing- a pillow and curtains. I have been feeding and enjoying watching the winter birds come to eat on my porch.

I really hate cold winter weather. It's funny though how I long for the heat of summer right now, but when hot summer days are here, I long for colder temps.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Took a walk today when snowing with the pup. He was having a blast. Left him off leash since noone was around. He would run ahead then back, throw himself in the snow and run more. Even buries his head in the snow!

It was beautiful, quiet. Truly enjoyed the peacefulness of it all. We probably have another 4 inches, but light and fluffy. Glad for that, as besides our place, we dig out our elderly neighbor's, and another disabled neighbor. So in another few hours, will be outside. We want to clear it before the frigid air tonight freezes it.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X