X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas crunch time!

Christmas is fast approaching!

What are you doing this year?
    How are you cutting corners to save time and energy?
    What are you doing to cut down the stress level?

Let's share!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

We stopped the presents and Christmas trees when we moved to Italy. We will have a quiet time with some friends.

Comment

I've decided that this year I will be setting the date and time. Every year someone complains that they can't be there on certain days. This year, Mama is in control. We always have holidays here at my place and I do most of the work. My kids are great to help and they do a lot of the clean up. So I'm grateful for that. But I'm tired of juggling the calendar around to try to accommodate everyone. That should help with some of the stress. I love making Christmas, but you know, you have to draw the line somewhere. So, Happy Christmas to all of you. Love, The Grinch!
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Way to go, marti! I, too, am making it much easier for me.

I've done all my holiday baking way ahead and froze it all, so all we have left to do is supply the main protein (dh's job) Our adult kids will bring all the sides to our house for Christmas eve dinner. They do most of the cleanup as well. Christmas day will be a "chill out" day for us.

I brought all the gifts for grandchildren online way ahead of the game, so that's all set. Still in all, with 14 at our place it is somewhat chaotic, stressful and noisy. Nontheless, it is a joyous time and worth the effort.

Comment

Boy, it's so nice to hear that everyone is managing the holidays this year. I am sooo happy because it is usually just me, but I rescued a kitty recently and she is keeping me company, too. But, this year I will be going over a friends house to spend it with her and her family, two cats and one dog! Weather permitting, of course! Happy Holidays!
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Every year, I do a gift exchange with my sister. I always ask for a list of items, and they always give it to me last minute. That causes me a lot of stress.

This year, I requested a list at Thanksgiving and only my 12 year old niece complied.

That leaves my sister, her husband and two college aged children.

She lives nearly an hour from me, but tomorrow I am getting my baclofen pump refilled about 5 minutes from her house.

I am considering dropping off my niece's gifts and boycotting the rest of family Christmas.

Comment

My husbands family had two parties, I made it to one. Not sure if my brother and sister-inlaw will have their party this year due to death in the family and our children are coming Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I have not felt very well so my husband has done all the cooking so far.
              He is truly a blessing and takes good care of me and for that I am truly blessed.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
              God Bless Us All

Comment

We celebrated early, on the 16th, with my husband's family. Was mostly catered; brought one side dish each. Had a grab bag gift drawing; I found an unopened set of bowls at home that I could bring, so no shopping for that.

Our family Christmas (hubby and I, daughter's family plus my son) will be celebrating in the 25th. Not a traditional holiday meal, just light meal. The 5 adults drew names but are leaning towards gifts of labor; I'll probably offer some babysitting services. Bought some simple gifts for grandchildren; ordered on Amazon so no in store shopping.

Son in law requested my homemade eggnog. Haven't made that in years and I'm dairy free now. I guess I'll pull out my recipe and make it for them anyways. I no longer mess with holiday baking.

We're not putting up a big tree this year -- still working on moving out of the old house. But I put up a couple of wreaths and red bows and artificial poinsettia. And we found a small artificial tree left in the attic that is already decorated so we'll just do that.

- Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

dm0329 enjoy the little one and bless you for rescuing!

Marco maybe load your niece up with extra goodies and stiff everyone who didn't have the courtesy to provide their wish list?

No little kids and we all have plenty so we stopped doing gifts years ago which is a relief. I do minimal decorating, just enough so the neighbors can see I put in some effort, lol. I have good smelling candles and play Christmas music in the house from Thanksgiving to Christmas so it feels kind of festive. I'm working the both weekends and the holidays but its time + 1/2 for all six days so I can't complain.

Happy New Year everyone!
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                    Marco maybe load your niece up with extra goodies and stiff everyone who didn't have the courtesy to provide their wish list?
                    Thank you for your comment.

My younger niece is the only one getting gifts. The rest are getting a nominal gift card (my niece will also get a gift card).

They normally do
                    well at Christmas, so this is a significant step down.

I'm going to get myself a treat with the money saved. No ideas... I tend to be generous with others and tight with myself.

Blessings to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                      Thank you for your comment.

My younger niece is the only one getting gifts. The rest are getting a nominal gift card (my niece will also get a gift card).

They normally do
                      well at Christmas, so this is a significant step down.

I'm going to get myself a treat with the money saved. No ideas... I tend to be generous with others and tight with myself.

Blessings to you all.
                      LOVE this plan. You deserve to treat yourself.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Will be another busy year, but if don't feel like participating, I won't.

My son is coming home (lives in Florida now), so hope to do some things with him while he's here. His flight comes in at 12:30 am Christmas Eve.

Gifts purchased mostly on line, and delivered to our house. Still one gift left for my husband to pick up at the store for our daughter. Gifts wrapped, money and gift cards still need to be put into Christmas cards. Christmas tree is up and husband finished decorating yesterday. His job now, since I can't do it anymore. Surprisingly, he's getting pretty good at good at it! He's been off work this week, so that's helped.

Christmas Eve is spent with my husband's family. We go to my mother in law's mid afternoon for dinner. Later in the evening, usually go my nephew's house. More food and celebrating with his family. Used to be my father in law's house, but after he passed away several years ago my nephew bought the house and continued the tradition of having everyone there later. My in laws separated before I met my husband, so Christmas Eve has been divided into an afternoon and evening gathering between two households since we've met. Husband has 5 older siblings, so always a good sized crowd.

My MIL is 97, and still wants everyone to come to her house for dinner. I honestly don't know how she does everything she still does. For the first time, she's supposedly not doing anything, and letting one of her daughters make dinner. Knowing her, she'll still do more than she should, though.

A week and half ago, my nephew told us he wouldn't be having a Christmas Eve party this year because of work. Something to do with how much traveling he's had to for it. So, now the evening gathering is at our house, beginning around 7 pm. It's always a long day, wrapping up well after midnight. My husband is doing pretty much everything for that. Wish I could do more to help, but am limited because of mobility challenges.

Christmas day we'll be going to my parent's house. Both my brothers and their families will be there. My two sister in law's are making dinner this year. My kids and older brother kids are adults now, but my younger brother has a 16 yr old and 10 year old. This year there's a new addition to my side of the family, my 3 month great grandnephew. My dad always makes a big deal out of Christmas; decorating, and lots of gifts to unwrap. It's always another another long day, and my parents like us to stay as late as possible.

One of my best friends, from way back in elementary school, will be in town the day after Christmas. So am planning to see her that day. We met in first grade, and have been friends ever since.

I'm grateful I can still participate in the Christmas festivities, but it’s hard for me sit in one place so long. Don't take my powerchair, so not able to reposition my lower body. But will press through it, with a smile, and continue to do so as long as I can.

Usually we, or my husband's brother, have a New Year's eve party. But not this year because we're hosting Christmas Eve and my brother in law's wife's mother just passed away unexpectedly. Might have a New Year's party with just my side of the family. Somewhere between all the festivities, hope to make it church.

Merry Christmas, and wish you all a joyous and healthy holiday!

Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Exhausted for you kimba! We have a small Christmas Eve here for part of my family followed by church, Christmas brunch at our niece's on husbands side, then this year, my family's turn for dinner, so at my brother's.

I didn't bake as much this year, nor make as many chocolate pretzels/candy. I also decided house will be clean, but not going to stress and deep clean.

​​​​​​We are debating on having New Year's dinner here for husband's family, but are supposed to visit friends for a few days prior. See how we feel after Christmas.
                          Kathy
                          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I enjoyed hearing about all of your holiday plans. I hope the days ahead are filled with joy however you celebrate and with less stress.
                            Merry Christmas!

Comment

Working...
                            X