Cognitive Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive Issues

Fatigue and cognitive issues are my most troublesome symptoms. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have the worst time trying to balance my checkbook. Can you relate or provide some tips for dealing with cognitive issues? Thanks!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

I can relate. A vicious cycle of physical and cognitive fatigue drove me out of the workforce. If physically tired, cognition is worse. If I try to do too much cognitively intense tasks, physical fatigue results. And with both, all the paroxysmal symptoms that appear with fatigue rear their ugly head.

I try to do the most cognitive challenging tasks after breakfast, when I am the most alert and less fatigued.

As for the checkbook, I tend to look at it every few days rather than weekly or monthly, which can overwhelm me. I log in online to the banks, and make sure I have all the transactions they show, check them off in the checkbook, and then look at what I recorded that is still outstanding to reconcile. I have used quicken in the past, but no longer do.

As for other tasks, I live by Google calendar. If I think of something I need to do, I put a reminder in it. I color code birthdays, anniversaries vs appointments vs social gathering vs bill due dates vs other tasks.

I have also found when I put birthdays/ anniversaries in the calendar, I put the birth year/wedding year in parenthesis next to the name and set it up as a repeating annual entry. I can always figure out someone's age or anniversary year that way. I rely on the recurring feature heavily to create calendar events and also reminders a day or week ahead.

I just tried to start using Google tasks so I don't clutter my calendar up so much. We will see how that goes.

If I need to drive somewhere, I use Google maps to review directions prior to leaving and also use it in the car to navigate.

I also carry a pen and small notebook with me as well to write something if need be. I need to be a big note taker.

One of my biggest weaknesses is names and facial recognition. I have a file that has different sections. I have a section for church, one for volunteering, neighborhood,etc... For church, I have some people's pics with names a a little blurb about them to help jar my memory. Likewise volunteering. For the neighborhood, I have a little street map with addresses and names, since I seem to remember where people live. I used to look at it alot before going, but have found the more repetition, the less I need it.

While the above doesn't fix everything, but it helps me function thru most things.

Hope you find some things to help.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you so much for your very detailed response.

I never was much of a numbers person. I started out as an accounting major but soon changed to Human Resources and ultimately got my MEd in Higher Education Management/Student Affairs Specialization as student personnel was my true passion.

Yes, I applaud your tenacity and proficiency using new software and technologies. I'm a bit of an "eight-track girl" who is old and out-dated! LOL Thanks again for your response!
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I love stickers and legos. I mark finished jobs that way. I have a table of weekly things to do and put stickers onto completed tasks.

When I recycle something, I add a piece of lego to a tower, to see how much I've done. That's my low-tech approach.

Comment

Working...
        X