whole body stiffness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole body stiffness

Does anyone else experience whole-body stiffness from their MS? I am postmenopausal so not sure if that's the issue. I do have lesions on my C1, C2, C5 & C6. It's the kind of stiffness that doesn't resolve with stretching. It seems like when I get a bout of this, I'm also really constipated.

Don't want to be paranoid that it is Parkinson's...but I am 57 and my grandmother did have Parkinson's.

Hey VikingKitty!

Your spasticity could very well be triggered by the constipation.

(The link below this excerpt has some good info about various spasticity triggers.)

From the MS Trust website - Spasticity Triggers

Bowel problems

​It is very important that your bowels move regularly and freely. A change in your normal bowel routine is one of the most common causes of worsening of spasms or stiffness. If you have more difficulty moving your bowels, or are moving them less often than normal, or your stools are hard and difficult to pass, this can indicate that you are constipated. Contact your GP for further guidance.

Constipation with episodes of diarrhea may indicate that you are extremely constipated and have a full bowel, known as an impacted bowel. This may need urgent attention and you should see your GP for further management. Impacted bowel

Any other bowel problem such as loose stools or irritable bowel syndrome can also impact on your stiffness and spasms. Your GP can help with appropriate treatment.

Spasticity triggers | MS Trust
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks Koko!

Makes sense that spasticity could be triggered by constipation. I read the whole article from MS Trust and took the questionnaire.

It seems as though I may have a few things working against me besides the constipation. It definitely gives me some insight on what I need to fix

Thanks!

Comment

VikingKitty! Thank you for posting.

I am so glad that this information was helpful for you.

When I first read about all the possible spasticity triggers, I was astonished!

Over the years I have experienced most of the spasticity triggers.

In general, though (for me), MS weakness is the most prevalent and debilitating deficit, whereas the spasticity occurs mainly from various triggers.

I have the MS Trust Spasticity link saved in my Favorites folder for quick reference!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Of for the love of God, we could have MS and PD? Ugh. I hope it is better explained by treatable MS symptoms. Hang in there.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X