blood biomarker predicts future progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blood biomarker predicts future progression

Researchers has found that elevated levels of NfL in the blood of multiple sclerosis (MS) patients could signal worsening disability within the next one to two years. This first-of-its-kind study pinpoints a crucial timeframe for potential interventions.

By analyzing data from nearly 1,900 patients over a decade, the team discovered that high NfL levels correlate with a significant risk of disability progression, with or without relapse.

These findings underscore the importance of NfL as an early biomarker for nerve damage and could pave the way for preemptive treatments in MS.​

https://neurosciencenews.com/nfl-bio...ression-25161/

This is exciting!! If they can actually intervein and prevent nerve damage THAT'S BIG!!
    Thanks again Marco
    God Bless Us All

Comment

Very interesting. I know they were looking at the same biomarker in other degenerative neurological diseases, like ALS and Parkinsons. A quick Google showed the FDA approved treatment for ALS that lowers the Nfl levels. Wonder if the same approach may be used in MS? Guess time will tell.

Biogen's article based on treatment for ALS:
      https://investors.biogen.com/news-re...ersen-sod1-als
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Is this testing happening anywhere currently? If I understand it correctly it can possibly shed light on who will start to progress in upcoming years? For me that would mean trialing a more aggressive MS medication which I have avoided due to increased side effect profile when it appears I am stable on one of the older meds.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          Is this testing happening anywhere currently? If I understand it correctly it can possibly shed light on who will start to progress in upcoming years?
          The Neurofilament Light Chain (NfL) Test is readily available at LabCorp and other testing venues.

Finding a neurologist that will read/interpret the results night be more difficult.

Yes, the value of NFL will be a prognosticator of future, near-term, MS activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

The Neurofilament Light Chain (NfL) Test is readily available at LabCorp and other testing venues.

Finding a neurologist that will read/interpret the results night be more difficult.

Yes, the value of NFL will be a prognosticator of future, near-term, MS activity.
            Great information, thank you. I go to Johns Hopkins so hopefully they are astute with this lab?
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X