X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretending to be well

Pretending to be well so we don’t look like we’re faking being sick

I've even coined a new word for people who try to conceal their illness

Halloween is five days away, and if you have kids, you’re running out of time to have your costumes ready. My wife and our three boys have everything figured out, minus some finishing touches — unless I want to dress up, of course.

Fortunately, I wasn’t planning on it because wheelchair costumes tend to take a bit more creativity. When I began using mine, I was warned about curbs, steps, thresholds, uneven terrain, and more, but no one mentioned it’d make it challenging to come up with a good costume.

Wheelchair costumes exist, of course — I was a race car last year — I just don’t feel the need to disguise my visible disability the way I did when it wasn’t apparent.

When my multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms were invisible, or less visible, I tried hard to wear the disguise of a nondisabled person. Not just on Halloween, but on every day of the year. I didn’t fake being ill; I faked being well. I still catch myself doing it sometimes.

I think everyone with a chronic disease probably does it at one time or another. It could be as subconscious as saying “I’m fine” when I’m clearly not. It might be as blatant as wanting so much to appear capable that I trade three days worth of energy spoons for three hours with friends. Sometimes it’s worth it, but I often have to ask myself who I’m trying to impress.

Putting on a ‘well’ costume, concealing disability
    There’s another, darker reason we put on our “well” costumes. People with a disease that’s hard to describe, like multiple sclerosis, are used to others, even medical providers, assuming they’re faking their symptoms. Rather than risk feeling like we won’t be believed, we’ll downplay symptoms or just outright pretend to be fine.

I’ve been fortunate in this regard, but many others haven’t. I may have gotten some skeptical looks or questions, especially during my diagnosis, but no one has flat-out suggested that my MS is all in my head.

Well, come to think of it, it is all in my head, and I have the MRIs to prove it. At my level of disability, I’d actually be a little flattered at anyone thinking I have the dedication required to fake this. I’d also be a little offended, since that sort of implies that I couldn’t think of anything better, or easier.

A hypochondriac is a person who worries about their own health constantly. If we fit that definition, it’s unwillingly. On the other hand, a person who falsifies, exaggerates, or even induces an illness for sympathy and attention is said to have Munchausen syndrome.

I couldn’t find a word for someone who falsifies being well, so I decided to come up with one. I wanted our new word to sound authentic, so I dug around in an online Latin dictionary and found dissimulo, which means to pretend, disguise, or conceal, and sanus, which is to be healthy, well, or sound.

I submit to you: “dissimusan (noun) — one who conceals, or attempts to disguise the symptoms of, an illness.”

It probably won’t catch on. Not even in common usage. And even if it does, much like its inspiration, multiple sclerosis, it’ll be anything but common.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ng-being-sick/

Warning :
    Being a dissimusan is really hard work, and you may need some down time afterward. We all have to be brave for one another too,Which may also require dissimusanative actions now and then
    We can play the sick card too when we need it.
    Would that be the best of both worlds ?
    Or the worst. I’m not sure.
    But we can be who we are and tell it like it is here. Can’t fool me !

It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

I still do this. No sense in complaining, no one wants to hear about it, anyway. The fact I'm wheelchair bound speaks for itself. I just try my best to get through each day. When the opportunity presents itself to go somewhere, I always try to go, regardless of how I feel.

I'm just happy to get to dressed. When my kids were younger, just figuring out their costumes was more than enough for me.​
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

You have a good point that most people with MS don’t want to play up how sick they are. It comes out anyway. I’ve never really been able to pretend that I’m well with tremors through the roof.

For all the successful dissimulos out there, bravo!

Comment

I like it and propose Dissimusanitive disorder

Now we just need an ICD 10 billing code.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

I'm a tried and true dissimusan. Like Kimba says, not many want to hear about complaints. The only person who I can be honest with is my husband who knows and sees what I struggle with each day. Also are the two dear friends nearby who also have MS and can relate.

My kids worry about me, so I always downplay my condition.
            Thanks for passing along this article, Marco. Very relatable.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

To most people I have my dissimusan face on but not for my husband. Poor thing he probably wishes I was dissimusan.
              I do have a couple of close friends I can confide in
              Thanks Marco for the word
              God Bless Us All

Comment

My son moved to Italy to help take care of me. He is so understanding and I can confide in him how I really feel. My husband is great but if I tell him how bad I feel he gets very worried so I mostly act like I am OK. Of course when I have a bad day and constantly lose my balance how I really am is obvious.

Comment

This is GOLD, Marco! It's incredibly spot on. I also fake wellness. I am fortunate to be outwardly appearing able-bodied. Other than a slight limp and a complete inability to descend stairs without looking like a two year old I appear "fine". And darn-it, that's what I put out to the world, "I'm fine". As said above, "no one wants to hear it, anyway".

I often attend my neuro appointments alone. I don't feel the need to have hubby take time off work to be there. My neurologist once asked me why he didn't attend every appointment with me. Well, the next visit I brought him along and discovered why the neuro asked about him. There I am, sitting on the exam table answering the, "So, how have you been" question with a retort of, "Pretty good. I'm fine". And then.......hubby pipes up and offers some truthful words of his own about how I've really been. It struck me, then, how even in my neurologist office I lie. Thankfully, my neurologist knows better. I am blessed to have a caring neurologist.

This article speaks volumes. Thanks for sharing.
                  "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
                  ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                    I like it and propose Dissimusanitive disorder

Now we just need an ICD 10 billing code.

Great comment, you've taken the thread to another level Jules... also good to hear from you!

The author of the article Marco shared should be made aware of a recent entry to the Marriam-Webster Dictionary* Introducing:

Kayfabe (pronounced kay-faybe) a term for the suspension of disbelief over the theatrically of professional wrestling!

The dictionary defines it as "...the tacit agreement between professional wrestlers and their fans to pretend that overly staged wrestling events, stories, characters, etc., are genuine"

So... if Kayfabe is when everyone knows the fakery is just an act...

Maybe...

Nayfabe, (pronounced nay-faybe) could be when only we know our fakery is just an act.

* WSJ issue 10/21/23, Word on the Street - Ben Zimmer

Comment

Disclaimer!

I could never use 'nayfabe'... there is no more faking it.

Comment

I think I live by "I'm fine". Partly to not worry others, partly as a defensive mechanism to maintain independence, and partly to stay positive and believe it myself.

Nice to know I can now reply, "I'm fine, I a a dissimusan". Can't wait to see the looks I get.
                        Kathy
                        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for sharing. There's some vulnerability here.

- Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Disimular is a common Spanish word. It is used when everyone in the room says disimula meaning ‘pretend something
                            isn’t happening’.

A tidbit of trivia.

Comment

Very helpful post Marco. I can easily see myself in your words. Especially concerning my own Neurologist. I always try to put on a positive face and fight hard against any symptoms that might be showing their faces when I visit any doctor. I know that sounds counterproductive. But, I learned a couple months ago that it is exactly the wrong thing to do when faced with a new doctor. If I had been crawling in to see him on my first visit I might have actually gotten some help. At least a suggestion! But I walked in under my own power and put on a good face which told the doctor I didn't need his help. Big mistake. Hope this is not your experience.
                              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X