infusion day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

infusion day

It's time for another round of Rituximab, the medication I use to help fight multiple sclerosis.

My earliest multiple sclerosis symptoms date back to my military days. While serving in Panama (1988), my legs went completely numb for a couple of weeks. In true military fashion, I was given a two-week "no running profile" and put on ibuprofen.

It wasn't until 2009, that I was officially diagnosed with MS. Between those dates, I had symptoms and periodic flare-up events. Those events are classic signs of relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis, where you have flare-ups between periods of remission.

Once diagnosed, I started taking medications hoping to reduce flare-ups, lesion activity, and disability progression.

Despite being on therapy, I had documented flare-ups in 2008, 2009, and 2011-2015. The 2012 flare-up was massive and led to permanent disability.

From 2009 until 2015, I was unsuccessfully on the following medications: Copaxone, Betaseron, Rebif, IVIg, Tecfidera, and Gilenya. During that time, I experienced significant side effects, complications, or breakthrough activity while taking these medications.

In 2015, I started Rituximab and have not had any lesion activity or flare-ups since then. I have not experienced any side effects on Rituximab.

So today, I sit in the infusion chair grateful for the scientists and rodents that made this medication possible. I'm also grateful for my friends and family that continue to be a source of encouragement.

Thank you!

Life is short.
    Talk sweeter.
    Cherish others.
    Hug tighter.
    Love deeper.
    I wish you well...
    Last edited by Marco; 07-27-2023, 12:42 PM. Reason: broken into paragraphs

Thanks for sharing both your MS journey and your gratitude! Continued good luck on Rituximab.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Marco. Our journeys at the beginning are similar. I, too, had my first flare in the winter of 1988-89 and wasn't dx until 2009. I had some flare ups during that 10 year period and all were blamed on various things.

In hindsight, I wish my doctor had put me on Tysabri after trying Avonex and Copaxone, but it was never brought up. My last flare was in 2008 and by 2010, she said I no longer had to take any DMT. I didn't know any better. I wish now that my neuro (and I) were more knowledgeable then!!

I'm so glad there are many other more effective DMTs now. Happy to hear that Rituxinab is working wonderfully for you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I hope everything went well Marco. And before long something even better may come along… fingers crossed. From what I’m seeing here this year there will be no shortage of mice to experiment with. The buggers are everywhere
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          It's time for another round of Rituximab, the medication I use to help fight multiple sclerosis.

My earliest multiple sclerosis symptoms date back to my military days. While serving in Panama (1988), my legs went completely numb for a couple of weeks. In true military fashion, I was given a two-week "no running profile" and put on ibuprofen.

It wasn't until 2009, that I was officially diagnosed with MS. Between those dates, I had symptoms and periodic flare-up events. Those events are classic signs of relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis, where you have flare-ups between periods of remission.

Once diagnosed, I started taking medications hoping to reduce flare-ups, lesion activity, and disability progression.

Despite being on therapy, I had documented flare-ups in 2008, 2009, and 2011-2015. The 2012 flare-up was massive and led to permanent disability.

From 2009 until 2015, I was unsuccessfully on the following medications: Copaxone, Betaseron, Rebif, IVIg, Tecfidera, and Gilenya. During that time, I experienced significant side effects, complications, or breakthrough activity while taking these medications.

In 2015, I started Rituximab and have not had any lesion activity or flare-ups since then. I have not experienced any side effects on Rituximab.

So today, I sit in the infusion chair grateful for the scientists and rodents that made this medication possible. I'm also grateful for my friends and family that continue to be a source of encouragement.

Thank you!

Life is short.
          Talk sweeter.
          Cherish others.
          Hug tighter.
          Love deeper.
          I wish you well...

As usual thanks Marco, and let's not forget... have Faith.

Comment

I can relate to your M.S. journey. Both of my legs and feet went numb and it also took about two weeks to get better. No diagnosis at that time. I was so scared. I'm on ocrevus and it has worked well for me.
            I love what you said at the close of your post and I am so glad Rituximab is working for you.

Thank you so much for all the information you provide and Thank You for your Military Service.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
            X