Kesimpta Versus Mavenclad Versus Ocrevus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kesimpta Versus Mavenclad Versus Ocrevus

I am set to see my neuro next month to start a DMT. This will be my first DMT. I've had brain lesions for a while now but recently I had a flare and, hence, another MRI and now I have a cervical lesion (C7) and a small lesion on my thorasics (T5).

I did all the research and had decided on Mavenclad and this was also suggested by my neuro. I am 51 so my neuro's thinking is that this is 2 years and then done and that should get me to my 60s where my immune system should wane a bit and help with no additional inflammatory lesions.

However, I am in ONTARIO, Canada, and don't have pharma insurance. This means I have to go on the Trillium Drug Benefit (provincially funded drug plan). In order to do this and get an MS DMT you have to also have your neuro apply for Exceptional Access to those drugs. It appears that I might not meet the criteria for the government to pay for Mavenclad (because I have not "failed" on a list of other DMTs). So now we are looking at Kesimpta. I've read about Ocrevus but I have some qualms with what I am reading.

Given the choice, what would you choose? Or, would you choose an entirely different DMT all together? I like the idea of home administration of the DMT. I also like that the list of side-effects seems less with both Mavenclad and Kesimpta.

This is a lot to take in. It's a lot of information. I am looking for any, and all, guidance on this issue.

Also, if you know ANYTHING about the Ontario Trillium Drug Plan I welcome your insight. Also, if you know about the Exceptional Access Program I would love to hear about your experience with this, as well. It feels like the government hoops are harder to navigate than the actual taking of the DMT. Leave it to the government to make an already stressful time even worse.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Hi there! I'm so sorry that you are in a predicament. Fighting MS and also fighting within a medical system that is often unkind.

For patients, the biggest difference between Kesimpta and Ocrevus is the administration method.

Without insurance, cost is a huge driver. I made a few calls this morning and was told
    Kesimpta doesn't have a Canadian assistance program, but Ocrevus does.

The Roche Canada patient assistance program is called
    Compass, and their number is 888-334-5956. Please call them and see if they can help.

Here's a video that may help you decide.

https://youtu.be/BVhN4_sEi1s

I wish you well..

Comment

I am self employed and have employees and insurance.
      Due to my taking Ocrevus our premiums went up so high we couldn’t afford coverage anymore.
      The reason I thought we carried insurance was in case you got sick and needed something it was there. But look out if you do !!
      The Ocrevus ruined it for me plus 20 employees.
      Do not worry about not having insurance…
      it doesn’t work that way. So the Compass program Marco mentioned has been looking after it for me , but I don’t know for how much longer. ?
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
      X