Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg tingling

Hi all,

Hoping people who have experienced leg numbness can share their experience. I had some minor foot numbness in a prior relapse about 10 years ago, which went away. My right arm has been numb for about 14 years.

Trying to discern if more orthopedic, possible MS related, or other. Since I feel it more with motion, leaning towards orthopedic. It is predominantly in the right calf. I do have really tight calves and a constant struggle to stretch them. After the calf tingles, I then get it in the right hip as well. And just as fast as it comes, it goes away.

I am waiting on insurance approval for brain and spinal MRIs, since it has been awhile. So at some point, I will know if any MS related changes. But was curious if people remember how their leg progression started. To date, my symptoms have been vestibular, cognitive, and my one arm. But no lower body progression.

I guess it is on my mind since after my Neuro exam when checking both feet and their respective reflexes and mobility, he asked if I still drove. When I said yes, he asked if I ever had trouble with the pedals. I haven't, but it has me thinking.

Thanks for any insight you can share.
    ​​​​​​
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Hi Pennstater I didn’t get any tingling in my left leg. Just drop foot and loss of motion / weakness
    But I’m PPMS
    My left hand and fingers tingled before I lost most function with that. I use to get like tiny electric signals that kind of went randomly throughout and a Chinese Dr told me it was bio electricity But I can still drive with my left hand. The clutch on the big trucks is a little challenge for my left leg. You know it could be an ever so slightly pinched nerve some where causing that , maybe a little inflation in a location that would cause that. Non MS related. Hopefully it’s not the MS monster rearing it’s ugly head. Good luck.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Hi (pennstater) Kathy!

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      Trying to discern if more orthopedic, possible MS related, or other. Since I feel it more with motion, leaning towards orthopedic. It is predominantly in the right calf. I do have really tight calves and a constant struggle to stretch them. After the calf tingles, I then get it in the right hip as well. And just as fast as it comes, it goes away.​​​​​​
      Could be orthopedic, but it is also possible that it may be neurological.

Your tight calves could possibly be spasticity (impaired nerve signals going to the muscles).

I have leg spasticity, and it comes and goes. I will often times feel the tingle sensation before the spasticity and numbness occur, usually after standing or walking for a time (a short time, in my case). The tingle sensation will travel along the length of my leg.

This sensation can come and go but will often remain now until I sit down to rest.

This info is from the NMSS website:

"Spasticity may be aggravated by sudden movements or position changes, extremes of temperature, humidity or infections, and can even be triggered by tight clothing."

So motion can cause the spasticity sensation as well.

There are several other triggers, such as full bladder or bowel, fatigue, etc.

On the other hand, if the sensation is orthopedic, I have no experience with what may be the cause.

Best to you Kathy! ​​​​​​​
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks oceanpride and KoKo.

My Mom developed right foot drop at 76 and stopped driving. We think she might have had MS, but a mild form. When I was diagnosed, she identified with a lot throughout her life, but at 78, she figured what was the point of adding another diagnosis to her many.

KoKo - My 2nd Neuro diagnosed spasticity and I was on baclofen. Due to my achilles injury, I had been doing PT and continued on my own with both legs when I started with my 3rd Neuro. This Neuro didn't seem to feel I had spasticity, so I stopped baclofen about 2 years ago and did not notice a difference. Due to another recent injury(twisted my left ankle on slippery rock while hiking by a creek with the pup) I haven't been as active. I am going to start the full series of PT exercises I was doing and see if it makes a difference.

But to be honest KoKo, it feels exactly as you described, brought on with sudden movement. I guess as with everything MS related, time will tell. In the interim, I will do what I can to stretch and strengthen to see if any difference.

Thanks again for sharing. Much appreciated.
        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          I am going to start the full series of PT exercises I was doing and see if it makes a difference.

But to be honest KoKo, it feels exactly as you described, brought on with sudden movement. I guess as with everything MS related, time will tell. In the interim, I will do what I can to stretch and strengthen to see if any difference.
          Sounds like a good plan, Kathy

Good luck!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Any chance your gait is off from L ankle injury causing symptoms in R leg? I have been amazed at the implications of mild alterations in gait etc.

I had a schwannoma that caused intermittent leg paresthesia, pain and cramping type symptoms in my R calf down to foot which resolved after mass was removed. Neurosurgeon said not MS related but IDK a nerve tumor in a patient with neurologic disease...

Please keep us posted.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I guess it is possible Jules. I will have to be more conscious of how I am moving.

Hopefully after your mass was removed you felt a lot better. That must have been a scary experience. The thought of a clot popped in my head, but never a tumor.

Started my full PT exercises today, so here is hoping it resolves. Just the thought of going down the multi doctor path to find a cause is making me tired

Thanks for sharing!
              Kathy

Comment

Working...
              X