Tell me I’m not crazy! Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me I’m not crazy! Please!

So I’ve been procrastinating a bit. New neuro is concerned about the many lesions in my spine. He sees narrowing.
    I’ve been mostly drug free for most of 20 year disease course.

He recommended Mavenclad so I decided to try it. They set up delivery but I said I wouldn’t start until a nurse called me. Lo and behold a month later a nurse calls and we are in middle of a move so it’s not a good time to toss a new drug into my chaotic world.

The kicker is that the meds come in a Hazmat bag! Then warnings to not take it until you are ready and then to not hold it in your hand too long followed by a hand washing. Seriously??!!!

Ive never seen such a warning and it clearly does not ease my mind to take it.
    Obviously I’ll call the nurse but curious what you think.

Am I overreacting??

Hi Kris!

Originally posted by KrisFL View Post
    The kicker is that the meds come in a Hazmat bag! Then warnings to not take it until you are ready and then to not hold it in your hand too long followed by a hand washing. Seriously??!!!

Ive never seen such a warning and it clearly does not ease my mind to take it.
    Obviously I’ll call the nurse but curious what you think.

Am I overreacting??
    I did a little research, and learned that Mavenclad is a cytotoxic drug:

Cytotoxic drugs (sometimes known as antineoplastics) describe a group of medicines that contain chemicals which are toxic to cells, preventing their replication or growth, and so are used to treat cancer. They can also be used to treat a number of other disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.​

This would explain the hazmat and handwashing protocol.

The side effects of Mavenclad do seem quite daunting to me as well (I'm not on any DMT) but fortunately for those who do take Mavenclad, it is only a short term treatment.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Wow; I don't know. That might scare me too. I don't have any advice exactly. We all need to make our own decisions about medication. I hope you can make a decision that both preserves your health and gives you peace of mind.

(((Care)))

- Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X