Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

Hi all: have has ms for 25 + years. MRI are stable but there id a steady decline. ive always battled through the obstacles but for the past month I cannot use my legs to stand up alone. My balance and coordination have been bad from the beginning so im okay with that. Is this a symptom other are familiar with and are there any recommendations?
    Thanks Roxy

Yes, roxy, I am well familiar with what you're going through. I've had MS for almost 34 years and am SPMS. I use a 4 wheel rollator all the time and would recommend getting one. It will help you to move around as a steady tool for staying up on your feet even for short periods of time.

I would also recommend getting a referral from your pcp for physical therapy. A PT will give you exercises to strengthen and build muscles needed for standing. I benefited greatly the times I have gone to one and was amazed at the results. It also helped me with balance and coordination. I can now stand alone, albeit shorter periods compared to others, while cooking dinner among other things.

Hope others can pitch in with recommendations. Take care!

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Roxy. I'm also familiar with this. I lost function of my legs a few years ago.

I would also recommend physical therapy. It was what kept me walking, and standing, for as long as possible. I, too, used a rollator for years. When my standing ability declined greatly, it was actually safer for me use a standard walker to stand up because it was steadier. An upright walker is another type that might help you. PT can recommend what would be best.

Even if PT doesn't help your legs enough, it's still very important to strengthen your core and upper body. Therapy can also teach you how to transfer with a sliding board.

You would qualify for home therapy. It's better if you can go to a facility, because of limited equipment at home, but still better than not having it at all.

Hope your leg strength improves. Best of luck!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I completely agree with all of you, had MS for 26 years and more. Get a walker, it helps so much, I don't particularly like it but I need it badly.

Comment

thank you both for the advice. i always knew this day would come. Roxy

Comment

I'm just going to echo everyone else: Get a rollator. I have one that I don't have to use very often, but when I need it, I really NEED it! Trust me; it makes a world of difference.

Comment

I have no advice to add but wanted to wish you well. I am sure this is quite unsettling and a phase of this disease no one wants to find themselves facing. I'm sorry it has progressed for you.
              "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
              ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

I, also suspect SPMS is descending on you. I've had MS for over 20 years, and SPMS starred about 7-8 years ago for me.

In addition to other advice, I recommend reading The Wahls Protocol by Dr Terry Wahls and/or making an appointment to begin seeing a functional medicine doctor. I changed my diet, removed toxins from my kitchen, personal care products, cleaning products, etc. Since making these changes 4-5 years ago, I am stable and my MS is no longer declining. I had hoped to reverse symptoms; that hasn't happened. But, stability is worth a lot.

- Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                X