Had to cancel my insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to cancel my insurance

I posted a couple of months ago that I was finally going to have health insurance again. I signed up for Alliant. A man I know whose daughter sells insurance now said that Alliant was not a very good company. She got me signed up with Ambetter insurance.
    THe Alliant did not have my neurologist. The Ambetter did not have my PCP. Then the infusion site where I do my Tysabri said that if I had insurance they would not do my Tysabri from my neurologist due to him not being a "preferred provider."
    Also my family said that I needed to drop the insurance since I am trying to get SSDI and if I had insurance they would say that I am not disabled.
    Isn't that just great

Sorry to hear. I am not sure about the insurance and SSDI statement. SSDI will evaluate if you have enough work credits to qualify, if not, then the will evaluate you to see if you qualify for SSI. Both will then look to see if you physically/mentally do any work. They will need to review your medical records, which only exist if you see doctors.

If you are using an attorney for your SSDI application, I would ask them about the insurance angle. I had medical insurance when my SSDI was approved. And FYI, once approved for SSDI, you have a 24 month waiting period from your disability date until you can get Medicare.

Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Listen to Pennstater. I've never heard of insurance being a factor in getting either SSI or SSDI. The fact is, they REQUIRE you to have current medical records to show that you've made a good-faith effort to get treatment. I had reduced my work to part time before applying for Disability, and I qualified at that time for Medicaid. It was never an issue with Social Security.

Comment

I do see my doctors as I should. I still think it's not right that the hospital where I do my Tysabri infusion said that if I had insurance they would not do the treatment my Dr prescribed but without insurance they will.

Comment

You know I was so happy to have insurance again. Having insurance means I can use the local pharmacy instead of Walmart pharmacy. When I had the insurance earlier this year I filled prescriptions at the pharmacy I have always used I told them it was nice to be able to use a reputable pharmacy.

Comment

Happy Birthday lukeduke!! (March 8)
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Happy Belated Birthday!

Comment

Working...
              X