Has anyone tried Ampyra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried Ampyra?

I am seeing a new neuro and she suggested Ampyra may help with my walking. Does anyone have experience with this medicine?
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Hi there!
    I have taken ampyra in the past, but I didn't realize any benefit. Ampyra attempts to improve nerve conduction, allowing for an increase in walking speed.

There are anecdotal reports of improvements beyond walking. The drug manufacturer needed an objective measure to determine if the medication was working, so they selected the 25' walk.

Ampyra is an easy on, easy off, medication that has no known medication interactions. The biggest risk is an increase in the seizure threshold, hence the rigid 12 hour dosing regimen.

I hope you respond positively to ampyra. It has improved the quality of life for many patients.

I wish you well...

Comment

I've been taking ampyra for years and I think it helps. My neuro seemed to think it helped also so I'll keep on taking it. I just have an alarm set on my phone for every 12 hours so I remember to take it as required. If you try it I hope it works for you!

Comment

I took Ampyra (generic version) for a month in December. It did not help with my walking. At this point, I think my walking problem is due to a problem not related to MS.

Comment

I took Ampyra for a few years until I had a seizure. Now it is contraindicated no matter what. I think it helped my walking.

There is no way to know whether the seizure that I had was caused by the Ampyra or something else.

Comment

Working...
          X