Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Knowledge/Advice on Real Estate!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Knowledge/Advice on Real Estate!?

Hi All,

As you all know, I have been struggling with living in my family house (15 years now), having no emotional support (brother's denial/cutting me out of his life), no family or friends and social isolation from the global pandemic! Sheesh!

But, due to EXTREME water problems too, I want OUT of the house! I imagine it may be worth $150Kish, and I have tons of furniture, paintings, plants, accessories, etc., to sell too! I have been "window shopping property" living in a "what if. . ." life, BUT it's NOT unreal, it's gaining information. Knowlege is power. What's out there, you know.

Presently, there is a 3 BR, 2 BA CONDO, University Square, at the University of Pittsburgh. I worked at the University of Pittsburgh for twenty years and earned my MEd there too. I am very familiar with the area. It's more cosmopolitan and diverse too. It may be the perfect place for me and my cat!

BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CONDOS OR HOC FEES, ETC. HELP ME! PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME. I HAVE A TOUR SET UP FOR NEXT SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4.

Thanks soo much! Say a prayer, Light some sage, whatever is needed! *crossing my fingers*
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Hi, I applaud you for starting to explore your options. It is quite common for people to dig in their heels and attempt to remain at home when for whatever reason(s) it is no longer practical or safe. I'd ask if you really need a 3br/2ba? and wonder if a studio or 1 br would save a lot if your finances are tight and it is just you and kitty.

Condos all vary, the fees can be expensive but cover a lot of services. Some of this information may be included in the online listing and if you are working with a realtor they can guide you with the specifics as to what price you qualify for and what fees, rules accompany this particular condo.

I've invested in real estate for >25 years and always shied away from condos due the concerns of having difficulty re-selling if there are many of the same product listed at one time and also what can be high monthly condo fees but again some condo fees include all utilities so then maybe not as expensive when you consider what they cover. As DH and I near retirement we are considering a condo vs HOA neighborhood in an effort to reduce exterior maintenance.

This is exciting, and yes knowledge is power and having options is priceless. Please keep us posted.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by dm0329 View Post
      Hi All,

As you all know, I have been struggling with living in my family house (15 years now), having no emotional support (brother's denial/cutting me out of his life), no family or friends and social isolation from the global pandemic! Sheesh!

But, due to EXTREME water problems too, I want OUT of the house! I imagine it may be worth $150Kish, and I have tons of furniture, paintings, plants, accessories, etc., to sell too! I have been "window shopping property" living in a "what if. . ." life, BUT it's NOT unreal, it's gaining information. Knowlege is power. What's out there, you know.

Presently, there is a 3 BR, 2 BA CONDO, University Square, at the University of Pittsburgh. I worked at the University of Pittsburgh for twenty years and earned my MEd there too. I am very familiar with the area. It's more cosmopolitan and diverse too. It may be the perfect place for me and my cat!

BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CONDOS OR HOC FEES, ETC. HELP ME! PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME. I HAVE A TOUR SET UP FOR NEXT SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4.

Thanks soo much! Say a prayer, Light some sage, whatever is needed! *crossing my fingers*
      Sorry I don’t know anything about condos
      But your water problems I’m perplexed
      Has there always been drainage issues ?
      could it be just a plugged pipe ? Is there nowhere to drain it off to ?Could be frozen ?
      It might be easily fixed. But of coarse it could be expensive also. I wished I was close to have a look. These things I know about.
      Good luck.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input!

Unfortunately, my neighbor has a sump pump that has been pumping his water problems from his house into his backyard, which then flows into my backyard/basement. Our family moved into the house in July 1976. It's been forty-eight years of water damage.

It's "not neighborly" and he's silent and does nothing. I have submitted my issue to a FREE LEGAL questions service at my local bar association (attorneys do some pro-bono work/answer questions for low-income folks). It's a double-edged sword, the housing market crashed, older folks with equity are the only ones looking to purchase.

Well, I'd qualify for a HUD loan as a disabled woman with MS, I believe. If I sell the house as is, I imagine I'd get $125K. I simply don't know. Again, things are only compacted more by my brother's denial/refusal to help his sister/we were so closer growing up too? Social isolation as an immune-compromised individual, etc.

Again, thanks to all for your input.
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I would also reach out to the PA department of aging to see if they can help at all. Even though not a senior, many of the problems you are facing are common for older adults. They may be able to help with guidance on housing, as well as your personal feelings of isolation.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I wish that I had helpful advice for you, but your questions are just out of my "wheelhouse". Sorry. Perhaps a local realtor could offer some helpful advice.

HOA's, I think, cannot be somewhat of a pain, depending on your neighbors. Too many rules, too many complaining people if everything isn't just right.

But, I also applaud you for looking into options. I hope that you are able to find the perfect solution for your situation. :-) :-)
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X