Is anxiety a major symptom of MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anxiety a major symptom of MS?

I've had a terrible problem with anxiety for years. Been trying to figure it out, find the right meds, get it under control. But, if you suffer with this you know how hard it is to control anxiety. I have White Coat Syndrome in spades. My Dr. finally put me on blood pressure meds. Then we started playing around with the dosage because my readings were pretty low for a long time. But, when something comes up and I get that panicky feeling my b/p spikes up to almost critical stages.

So, I'm trying to find out if anyone here is in this position and what the best meds might be for us?

Yesterday I had 4 ultrasounds through Life Line Screenings. By the time I got to the first test my b/p was up to 191/74! I was a wreck. This whole thing kept me there for 2 hours. This set of tests were all for heart health. I used to spike just going to the Vet with the dog!

I'm really sorry to dump this on you all, but I usually get the best advice here. Thank you all.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with this, Marti. I don't feel anxious but I have high blood pressure and it hasn't been responded to various medicines. I have tried many different BP drugs and many cardiologists but it remains high. I have gone to the emergency room twice when my BP was over 200/90. I don't have any answers for you but wanted to let you know I hope you find one.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
      I am sorry you are having such a hard time with this, Marti. I don't feel anxious but I have high blood pressure and it hasn't been responded to various medicines. I have tried many different BP drugs and many cardiologists but it remains high. I have gone to the emergency room twice when my BP was over 200/90. I don't have any answers for you but wanted to let you know I hope you find one.
      Loopey you know I have a soft place in my heart for you. Thanks for responding. I've been the the E/R a couple of times too for very high readings like yours. I guess we have high blood pressure because something triggers it to rise. It might not be food or heart disease. But whatever causes it, we have to deal with it. If anxiety makes b/p go up, it's still high b/p. Today my reading was 101/59!! So what's with that?? The least little thing causes mine to climb. So I guess it's a mental thing for me. Hope you feel better and stay well.
      Marti

Comment

I'm sorry, too, Marti, that anxiety is a struggle for you.

My answer to your question, from my own experience, would be a resounding yes.

My anxiety and my MS interact with each other in a number of ways.

- My anxiety, prior to SPMS, often triggered MS flares. In fact, I can trace most of my flares to anxiety.
        Sometimes obvious anxiousness. Sometimes physical stress, such as a root canal, a physical illness, etc.
        And sometimes, "eustress", which is "good stress", such as happily anticipating an upcoming vacation. It's still a drain on me.

My MS affects my ability, or lack of ability to manage simple daily stressors, that would likely not be a big deal otherwise.

Over the years, I've learned ways to manage these.

- I know how to say No. Both to others and to myself. I'm aware of what causes my stress so I simply don't do it.

One example is that driving out of town makes me anxious. There is no physical reason why I can't do it. But I just don't. If I have an out of town Dr appointment, my husband takes sick time from work and drives me.

Another example is that, when I have something "big" and exciting coming up, I take it easy for a week or two prior. I say no to things I want to do, just to decrease anything that might make me feel too busy.

Dentists sometimes create anxiety. I take supplements before I go. Anxiouslessness (by Nature's Sunshine), and Cerenity PM (I take that during the day to help me to relax at the dentist). I also have learned Buteyko breathing, which includes "nose breathing" rather than mouth breathing, reduced breathing by creating a "need for air", etc.

I've found it's important for me to:
        1. Identify what triggers my stress.
        2. Have a plan to avoid stress whenever possible, and manage stress when it's unavoidable.

I hope you can find a way to do this. Anxiety is NO fun.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

- My anxiety, prior to SPMS, often triggered MS flares. In fact, I can trace most of my flares to anxiety.
          Sometimes obvious anxiousness. Sometimes physical stress, such as a root canal, a physical illness, etc.
          And sometimes, "eustress", which is "good stress", such as happily anticipating an upcoming vacation. It's still a drain on me.

My MS affects my ability, or lack of ability to manage simple daily stressors, that would likely not be a big deal otherwise.

- I know how to say No. Both to others and to myself. I'm aware of what causes my stress so I simply don't do it.

One example is that driving out of town makes me anxious. There is no physical reason why I can't do it. But I just don't. If I have an out of town Dr appointment, my husband takes sick time from work and drives me.

Another example is that, when I have something "big" and exciting coming up, I take it easy for a week or two prior. I say no to things I want to do, just to decrease anything that might make me feel too busy.

Dentists sometimes create anxiety. I take supplements before I go. Anxiouslessness (by Nature's Sunshine), and Cerenity PM (I take that during the day to help me to relax at the dentist). I also have learned Buteyko breathing, which includes "nose breathing" rather than mouth breathing, reduced breathing by creating a "need for air", etc.

2. Have a plan to avoid stress whenever possible, and manage stress when it's unavoidable.

Wow... you and I are so much alike!! Right down to the "need for air". I thought I was the only one. And that one has been a problem for me since childhood! I also can't drive any further than about ten minutes. So, since Covid I have not seen any of my doctors in the city. I just got a new Neuro who I will meet in Sept! My dentist and his staff have learned to "lie" to me. I told them to keep telling me I'm almost done and they all do it. It does help me relax a little. This is the first dentist I can actually feel comfortable with. I've had drivers for anything I have to do any further than my small town.

Any event, good or bad, medical or not works me up into a frenzy. My daughter just told me that I was never this way before. Right. I'm glad you can manage some of these stressors. Wish I could do that. If my neighbors would leave me alone I'd be better. One of them told me that I am becoming a hermit. I prefer the word "recluse". Since Sam died I enjoy being at home, alone almost all the time.

I also feel like some of my anxious moments and everyday aches and pains might be small flares. My Primary has been telling me this for awhile now. I've never gone to the neuro when I thought I was relapsing. I've done so well that I can't always identify a relapse accurately.

I'll look into the supplements you suggest. And thank you so much!!! This has been a calming reply to my post. Since I first posted I have looked up anxiety and ms and found that we are much more likely to be anxious and panicky!! Hope you are having better days.
          Marti

Comment

I went through this too. Concentrate on your mental health and try to get distracted. I personally started doing yoga and meditation, it really calms me down. To maintain my mental health I take some vitamins from an online pharmacy. There you can read about different supplements which help with anxiety. I was on Celexa for a long time and managed to get over this illness.​
            Last edited by KoKo; 01-31-2023, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annettyy View Post
              I went through this too. Concentrate on your mental health and try to get distracted. I personally started doing yoga and meditation, it really calms me down. To maintain my mental health I take some vitamins from an online pharmacy. There you can read about different supplements which help with anxiety. I was on Celexa for a long time and managed to get over this illness.​
              Thank you for the suggestions. I will ask my primary about Celexa. Are there any weird side effects? I do take multi vitamins with Omega 3. Can't do the yoga for 2 reasons. One is I just don't know how and the other is I have a hard time getting down on the floor and back up. I do walk almost every day when the weather is good. And as far as meditation goes... I lose my concentration very easily. Have never been able to keep my mind on the job at hand for very long. Guess I'm just a mess. So glad these things have all helped you. Anxiety is horrible!
              Marti

Comment

I think you will benefit from Celexa, Marti. I've been using Citalopram​, the generic version of Celexa, for years now and when I first started taking it I noticed a remarkable benefit. It does take about 3 weeks to get the full effect. The side effect I notice is dry mouth, so I drink a lot of water.

Hope you try it!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

Can you tell me how large the Anxiouslessness pills are? I have a hard time with choking, but I'd like to try those. Thanks Again.
                  Marti

Comment

Working...
                  X