Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Tips with Cognitive Dysfunction

Happy New Year Everyone!

I have been struggling with the simplest tasks (maintaining my checkbook, routine household chores, etc.). I always try to keep things in the same spot (as I have low vision too) and maintain a routine to try to stay on track of what day it is, what needs to be done, etc.

I live alone (in my family home now) and am having trouble. It's a shame that I have no family or friends to help me, which I feel contributes to my cog fog issues too.

What tips or resources can you share with me? I think my age (only age 56 in March) is too early for assisted living, right? Sometimes I wonder? Are there any living situations for younger folks with MS (who look so good) BUT have cognitive problems?

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it, too!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Happy New Year!
    I'm really sorry you are struggling and think you are wise to consider an assisted living while you can still advocate for yourself. In my state there are assisted living options for those in need who aren't senior citizens. Maybe the MS society can help and also try googling and your state's department of disabilities. Please keep us posted.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Thanks for your response.

It's tough as Pennsylvania did NOT expand Medicaid in 2009 up to 130% of the Federal Poverty Level and age dictates WHAT I can QUALIFY FOR ON MEDICARE DUE TO MY AGE.

I am soon to be age 56 (need to be at least age 60 in Pennsylvania on a Medicare Supplement to qualify for meals, senior communities, etc). And, I worked as long as I could (dx at age 25 & retired at age 45).

I'm too "young" and too "rich" to get any assistance.
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Being more engaged with others does benefit us cognitively. Just thinking about where I engage with others. Have you looked into any volunteer opportunities in your community? Do you belong to a church? Do you have any interests/hobbies (sewing, knitting, reading, puzzles,etc. ) - maybe you could find a local club or even talk to a senior center to see if you can go and check out your local library.

As for tips, I live by my phone calendar. For anything not auto pay, I have recurring monthly entries on when I need to pay. Likewise, if I need to review something, I schedule time.

To try and keep my cognitive abilities, I do all kinds of puzzles (crossword, suduko, jigsaw, wordle,etc). I also read. And try to challenge myself to learn something new - focusing on learning to tie different kinds of knots right now.

Just as important as stimulating your mind, physical activity is also important. Of course this can vary by our abilities, but moving as much as we can is important.

Finally,if you have any sleep issues or depression, you need to address with your doctor. Both can really impact how we function.

Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm sorry there are no family or friends nearby to help. Perhaps you could join your local senior center or recreation center/wellness center and make some connections there. In our community, we only need to be age 50 to qualify for any of that. A senior center might be able to suggest other resources too.

Or a local church?

For household tasks, perhaps you could hire someone to come in weekly, bimonthly or monthly to clean or help with other tasks (financial, etc)?

​​​​​​
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks so much for your input. Yes; social isolation (BOTH from the pandemic and FAMILY issues, my brother's DENIAL and REJECTION of me & my MS) and having no friends have really impacted me negatively (emotionally, cognitively, etc). Social isolation can be deadly.

FWIW, I joined AARP (only $12 for first year too LOL) and they have great tips and puzzles, games, etc.). MS World and AARP have become great resources for me! Thanks again!

Comment

If you can, it is still worth looking into activities that will give you in person interaction. I know it is not feasible for everyone, but if physically able, it can really help and possibly lead to new friendships.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X