Ketamine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketamine

One of my cousins husband was recently diagnosed with MS. He was quickly in a wheelchair. Drs put him on Ketamine and he’s doing great. Anyone hear of this drug? It looks to me like it’s still in clinical phase.

KrisFL,
    Hi there! I'm not really familiar with ketamine for MS. Did the doctor credit the ketamine for his improvements?
    Or was he possibly in a flare up that finally relenting allowing him to become ambulatory again?

I'm really interested in this, so thank you for sharing.

Comment

Hi Kris- I had never heard of ketamine, but I'm happy to hear that he's doing well.

I found the following article about the infusion therapy- https://www.ivketamine.com/multiple-sclerosis/

I assume he's using a infusion treatment? It sounds very helpful for those who have failed other types of treatments.
      Let us know how he's doing!

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes it’s an infusion.

Marco- he was just recently diagnosed, but they are attributing his recovery to the Ketamine. Only clinical studies I’m finding for MS are related to fatigue and those with depression not helped with other meds.

Comment

Ketamine is known as the date rape drug. It is also something we use as a paralyzing agent for doing surgery on dogs and cats. I have no experience with it's use in humans. Other than for surgery, but it is interesting.
          All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

My research has shown it’s being used to treat chronic pain, PTSD, and depression.
            But this I read seems to indicate it may have much more benefits yet to be fully tested.

Neurobiology of Disease

Volume 165, April 2022, 105635 (R)-ketamine ameliorates demyelination and facilitates remyelination in cuprizone-treated mice: A role of gut–microbiota–brain axis

Comment

Hi Kris. It is interesting. Is your husband's cousin being treated in the USA? If so, is he part of a clinical study? Curious how he was able to get it so quickly without failing any other meds.

However he got it, really glad he had a fantastic response to it.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Yes in AZ. I’m hearing it was used for debilitating pain that wasn’t successful with other treatment.

Comment

I wonder how they determine if recovery is from the treatment vs what can be a relapsing remitting nature of some courses of MS?

I've seen it used for refractory depression with some positive results although not lasting. Personally I am a bit skeptical of this modality as well as the psychedelics being touted as the latest and greatest but will continue to watch and try to keep an open mind.

Regardless for whatever reason it is great news he is doing better!
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Hey Kris!

Hot off the press!

Phase 2 trial to determine if low-dose ketamine eases MS fatigue

A Phase 2 clinical trial evaluating whether a low dose of ketamine can ease fatigue in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) is enrolling patients at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

Article:

Phase 2 trial to determine if low-dose ketamine eases MS fatigue | Johns Hopkins study enrolling patients with fatigue as main symptom | Multiple Sclerosis News Today
                    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                    X