Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have Botox for overeactive bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have Botox for overeactive bladder?

I posted this some time ago and had no replies, so I'm asking again.

Reason being is that the medication I was taking did nothing to help. Next plan is to have Botox injection which is scheduled in a week. My urologist and also my chiropractor who have lots of MS patients, say that many are pleased with results. But, I thought I'd ask here for anyone who has had first hand experience.

I'm a bit nervous, but want to have a bit of hope that it will work.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I can't offer any help, but wishing you lots of luck. Please keep us updated!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks, pennstater. I wonder now if it will happen. Was with my granddaughter on Thursday and Friday, she got covid. Ugh. Am going to test in a couple days and on a wait and see schedule for now. keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

No experience either but wishing you the best both with the botox and dodging COVID!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Hope you have no issues Seasha! COVID is definitely spreading again.

We spent New Years with some family and 7 of the 12 have since tested positive. All mild or asymptomatic, thankfully everyone was boosted. My husband and I are still ok. Both feel like fighting a cold off, but our tests have been negative so far. So today is Day 8, so fingers crossed we stay that way. I was supposed to have Tysabri infusion this week, but will have to push back.
          Kathy

Comment

Hi Seasha,

I sure hope you don't get don't get covid! My brother and his wife tested positive for it Christmas eve. Nice Christmas present, eh? Their daughter never got it. My brother in law had covid in the fall. His wife never got it. So, fingers crossed you dodge it, too. (Same for you, Pennstater!)

It's been several years now, but I used to get Botox for my bladder. I had problems with both urgency and retention (my bladder wasn't emptying completely). I tried several different oral meds before getting it. Only a couple of them helped some for little while, but then stopped working.

Botox worked great for me (while it worked), and I didn't have any side effects from it. A small percentage of patients have problems emptying their bladder after the procedure, so need to self cath for a short time afterward. There is also a small chance of getting an UTI after the procedure, but they try to minimize that by giving you an antibiotic to take afterward.

Unfortunately, after a few years, it wasn't working as long as I needed it to. (You have to wait at 12 weeks before having the procedure done again.) From what I understand, my body began metabolizing the drug too quickly. I was just one of the few this can happen to.

So then I had to move on to self cathing. Eventually had to get a suprapubic catheter because of mobility problems.

Mine were done at an outpatient surgical center, under general anesthesia. Some urologists will do the procedure using a local to numb the bladder (flushing it with lidocaine inserted via a catheter), but mine would only do it using anesthesia.

Some history ~

1926 - Dr. Herman Sommer, University of California, produced a crude form of botulinum toxin A.

1946 - Dr. Edward Schantz first isolated and purified the botulinum toxin A into a crystalline form while working as a research scientist for the army. During WW 2, it was being researched as a possible biological weapon.

1953 - physiologist Dr. Vernon Brooks discovered that injecting small doses of botulinum blocked the release of acetylcholine from motor nerve ending which temporarily relaxed the muscle.

Late 1960's and 1970's - Dr. Alan B. Scott, an ophthalmologist in San Francisco, started studying botulinum toxin A as a non surgical treatment for strabismus (crossed eyes). He named it Oculinum, derived from the latin word ocular, which means eyes.

He collaborated with Dr. Schantz, who continued with his work on the toxin at University of Wisconsin. He supplied the toxin to Scott. (He was also the only supplier of the toxin in the U.S. until 1998.)

Dec 30, 1978 - Dr. Scott received permission from FDA to study the drug in humans to treat strabismus.

Dec 29, 1989 - Oculinum was approved for strabismus, blepharospasm (involuntary blinking), and hemifacial spasm (involuntary muscle contractions on one of the face). It's potential for cosmetic use was discovered by accident, when treating patients for the eye disorders.

1991 - Allergan marketed Oculinum and then acquired it, and changed the name to Botox in 1992.

1992 - Vancouver ophthalmologist Jean Carruthers and her husband, dermatologist Alastair Carruthers, issued the first report suggesting that it could be used for cosmetic purpose. This was discovered by accident, after patients being treated for the eye disorders vertical lines between the eyebrows appeared smoother.

Dec 30, 2000 - FDA approved Botox for treating cervical dystonia, a disorder that causes severe neck and shoulder muscle contractions.

April 15, 2002 - FDA approved Botox temporarily improve the look of glabellar lines (vertical lines between the eyebrows) in adults. In Sept, 2013 it was FDA approved for crow’s feet, and then approved for forehead lines in Oct, 2017. It was the first and currently the only botulinum toxin FDA approved for all three cosmetic uses.

Mar 9, 2010 — FDA Approved Botox for Upper Limb Spasticity the elbow, wrist and fingers in adults. July 21, 2022 the FDA approved it for eight more muscle areas in the elbow and forearm. It has also been approved for pediatric use. Henry Winkler did an educational campaign to raise awareness of it. His mother struggled with the condition, without treatment, for 10 years following a stroke before she passed away.

Oct 15, 2010 - FDA approved Botox for chronic migraines.

August 30, 2011 - FDA approved Botox for urinary incontinence due to detrusor (the primary bladder muscle) overactivity associated with a neurologic condition in adults who have an inadequate response to or are intolerant of anticholinergic medication. https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...nary-Incontine In Feb, 2021 it was also FDA approved for the same in pediatric patients 5 years of age and older.

January 18, 2013 - FDA approved to treat adults with overactive bladder.

It's also used "off label" for several other conditions.

AbbiVie bought Allergan in 2020, and now owns the drug.

While Botox (OnabotulinumtoxinA) is the most widely known botulinum toxin, it is one of five brands currently approved in the United States for medical treatment, four being type A and one type B.

Others that have been FDA approved:

Dysport (Abobotulinumtoxin A) - March, 2010; Xeomin (Incobotulinumtoxin A) - July, 2010; Myobloc (Rimabotulinumtoxin B) - Aug, 2019; and Daxxify (DaxibotulinumtoxinA-lanm) - Sept, 2022. They are not interchangeable, have different dosing, and each are approved for specific conditions. Botox is the only one currently approved for the bladder.

There are seven distinct formsof botulinum toxin, types A–G. Four of these (types A, B, E and rarely F) cause human botulism. Types C, D and E cause illness in other mammals, birds and fish.

I hope this info is helpful. Best of luck, and hope it works well for you! Please keep us updated.

Botox FDA label

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugs...00s5318lbl.pdf
            Last edited by pennstater; 01-10-2023, 07:13 PM. Reason: * edited per user request to correct FDA URL
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Wow, Kimba, thanks for all the information! I have been told it's not necessarily 100% effective, but I will hope for some - or more improvement. This has gotten way out of hand. I am aware of the side effects and hoping it's minimal for me.

As far as covid goes, no one in our family in contact with our granddaughter has shown any symptoms so far. I will test again the morning of my procedure.

Comment

I'm happy to report I dodged covid (again) and went ahead with the Botox injection. It was a 10-20 min procedure and was pain free with lidocaine inserted via catheter. I was so very nervous leading up to it, but now I know what to expect for next time. I'm told to wait 1-2 weeks before there is noticeable improvement. I can't wait!!

Comment

Glad to hear. Here's is hoping you a great result. Can't wait to see your update.
                  Kathy

Comment

Good to hear you didn't get covid, and the procedure went well!

You may notice some improvement in a few days, but it does take a week or two to take full effect. Hope it works great for you, and lasts several months! Please let us know how it goes.​
                    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hoping it helps
                      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

I have a neurogenec bladder. A few years ago I had the botox treatment, and it was amazing. I had the procedure done under anesthesia. I had no pain during or after the procedure, and I was much improved within a couple of days! I would definitely recommend the botox!

Comment

gellexi - I'm so glad to hear of someone else benefiting from this! I too have seen some improvement since the procedure last week. It's not perfect so far, but hoping for more in the immediate future. Did it take some time for near 100% improvement for you? How long?

Comment

I’m ew someone for years who posted on Braintalk. She successfully used botox for years.
                            I tried it and had one great day of freedom. Isould have continued but could not learn to self cath so my urologist would not continue.
                            recently I switched from 30 years of using oxybutinin. The dry mouth side effects were so bad that my mouth was virtually stuck together. My new neurologist.put me on my mybertique and solfencin (sp). NO DRY MOUTH ANYMORE! Works fairly well.
                            "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Glad to hear that Mybertiq is helping you, MSLazarus. Sometimes we have to try different stuff to help find what works.

I have days that are good days since my Botox treatment, other days not so much, so my urologist wants me to start PT for bladder control next. Hopefully I will find the right combination.

Comment

Working...
                              X