Lhermitte syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lhermitte syndrome

Currently having electric shock sensations in my spine when I put my head down. Has anyone does experience this and how do you treat it?

I have had it in the past as part of a relapse. Since I had other symptoms, I was treated by IV steroids. It did resolve.

I have had it other times with minor symptoms, so it just ran it's course and resolved in its own. Sometimes in weeks, other times, it took months. I was offered an anti-spasmodic to treat, but I didn't want to chance the side effects.

It also reappears sometimes when I am overheated or exhausted, but disappears when I cool down or rest.

If it is a new symptom for you or a recurring one and is lasting longer than 24-48 hours, I would call my Neuro. It is possible they may want a MRI to look for evidence of a relapse or to make sure no structural issues with the spine that could cause it. They may also do blood work to make sure no vitamin deficiency. My Neuro did both the first time L'hermites appeared, but subsequently assumed MS.

I hope you feel better soon.

​​​​​​​
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Cheron and welcome! Really sorry you are experiencing this. It is certainly annoying..

I also had it about 14 years ago, but can't remember what kind of treatment I had. I think I just let it play out which resolved itself in a few weeks. Here's an article about L'Hermitte's sign- https://www.webmd.com/multiple-scler...t-is-how-treat

I also suggesting calling your Neuro. Take care and hope things get better quickly.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Cheron!

L'Hermittes was an early symptom for me, and has occurred sporadically ever since, for the past 25 years.

It's a symptom that really doesn't bother me though. It feels weird, but doesn't hurt at all.

It only happens when I bend my head downward, and then quickly goes away.

I hope you get a break from your annoying electric zaps.

Looking forward to more of your posts, Cheron!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes I've had it off and on through the years. I never got a specific treatment for it.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
          X