Stress and possible flares during the holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stress and possible flares during the holidays

Stress isn’t good for a healthy person, and it can be horrible for someone with multiple sclerosis (MS). A review article published last month in the journal Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders by researchers at the University of Texas at Austin reports a strong association between stress and MS relapses.

While the scientific jury is still debating exactly how and when stress affects people with MS, it’s best to have a strategy for dealing with it, particularly this time of year. MS News Today columnist Beth Ullah is already planning on how to cope with the rigors of Christmas. Every year, her plan is a bit different. This year, she writes, she and her husband are skipping restaurant meals, which add stress from weather, indoor temperature variations, and transportation concerns. She’s also pledged not to worry about things she can’t control.

Complete story: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...oliday-season/

FWIW, since my dx in 1994, ALL of my apparent flares were during EXTREMELY STRESSFUL periods in my life (mother dx with breast cancer, father's stroke, my written write-up at work, etc.). Thanks for posting!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I tried to post an answer to this but have lost it. I'm the Italian Mama and I've always felt like it was my job to make family occasions perfect or nearly perfect for my family. So every year I start getting stressed about Christmas somewhere around Halloween. I know it's not good for me, but I can't stop myself from obsessing. This is absolutely the worst time of year for my MS to kick up. Happens every year. I love to plan the meals and so all the decorating, cooking, cleaning, shopping (online), wrapping etc etc but it does wear me out. I always feel like I have to apologize for overdoing, but I do it all anyway. I'm a chronic worrier. And I like to blame it on MS. Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!!
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
      X