Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neural sleeve ?

Hi all .
    Has anyone heard of this AI device ? The Neural sleeve by Cionic and Fuseproject . I was sent a link to an article about a device that is supposed to assist in regaining a walking gait for those of us that have trouble with normal walking gait . It is a device that will be ready for distribution in 2023 as it is in final stages of testing and approvals .

Thank you Jerry!

I watched a video, and learned that this device replaces the neural signaling part of the brain that sequences gait and other complex movements involved with walking.

Many of us certainly could benefit from this.

Hope it does become available next year.

Some videos with info:

CIONIC: superpowering the human body

Neural sleeve by Cionic and Fuseproject . - Bing video

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for the info.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks Jerry and KoKo. I would need 2 of these for both legs. I wonder what the cost is and if Medicare would help pay? I didn't watch all the videos, so maybe more information is there to answer my questions? I'm definitively interested!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I just read an article about it and they mention helping people with ms. I was wondering if that includes drop foot. I use a bioness nerve stimulator but this article says it retrains the brain. This is so fascinating! Looking forward to it coming available.
          Thanks JerryD
          God Bless Us All

Comment

I like the way that the electrical signals from the neural sleeve activate the muscles.

My own impaired nerve signals aren't stimulating my muscles very well, and with some of my muscles there is no activation at all anymore.

This has caused much atrophy of the muscles, unfortunately.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello REG!

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
              I just read an article about it and they mention helping people with ms. I was wondering if that includes drop foot. I use a bioness nerve stimulator but this article says it retrains the brain. This is so fascinating! Looking forward to it coming available.
              Thanks JerryD
              Yes, it does help foot drop.

"Foot drop, a common problem among people with these neurological diseases, is characterized by a person’s inability to raise the toes normally when taking a step. With the toes dragging on the ground, patients are more likely to fall, particularly when walking on uneven surfaces or climbing stairs.

While many of these patients try to compensate by lifting their foot higher when walking, this can be tiring and lead to back and hip pain, which may increase movement instability. Foot drop also can make other aspects of everyday life more challenging, including driving.

Neural Sleeve is the first algorithm-powered bionic clothing designed to help restore mobility in people with neurological conditions."

"Results from a previous multicenter study, testing the Neural Sleeve in people with foot drop, showed the device led to an average reduction of 143% in foot drop. Also, more than 87% of patients experienced improvements in several parameters involved in foot drop.

Jim Vecchi, an MS patient who participated in Cionic’s trials, said that “wearing the Neural Sleeve, I move in a way that is more flowing and natural. I am walking more quickly and smoothly, while using less energy in doing so.”

The device “is surprisingly comfortable and my body has become accustomed to wearing it surprisingly quickly,” Vecchi added.

“I do not have the words to properly explain the positive effects on my confidence and outlook. I very much look forward to seeing what progress I can make with the help of the Neural Sleeve,” he said."

FDA Clears Leg-worn 'Neural Sleeve' to Aid MS Patients' Walking (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)

Comment

Hello Seasha!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                Thanks Jerry and KoKo. I would need 2 of these for both legs. I wonder what the cost is and if Medicare would help pay? I didn't watch all the videos, so maybe more information is there to answer my questions? I'm definitively interested!
                I found this, so far, about the cost of the neural sleeve:

"Cionic launched its Founder’s program, in which interested patients can pre-order the Neural Sleeve for $200, with an expected delivery this fall. By adhering to this program, the company’s first set of customers will pay $200 per month for a year, without obligation. Other pricing models may follow.

The payment will cover the sleeve, replacement pieces, and monthly progress assessments."

FDA Clears Leg-worn 'Neural Sleeve' to Aid MS Patients' Walking (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)

*Found this too - FAQ from the Cionic website:

Are We Covered By Insurance/Medicare/Medicaid?

Unfortunately, FES devices for mobility, including the Neural Sleeve, are considered experimental by insurance companies and reimbursement is considered on a case-by-case basis. CIONIC recognizes how important this is and is committed to supporting reimbursement efforts. Individuals can submit documentation to their insurance company to request reimbursement, and CIONIC will support these efforts with a Letter of Medical Necessity that can be shared with your medical provider to complete and submit. The Neural Sleeve is eligible for payment under FSA/HSA/HRA preferred spending accounts.

CIONIC: superpowering the human body

Comment

LOVE this thread!

Thanks to JerryD and all who contributed.

Comment

I think something like that would help me tremendously. My gait is a disaster and my legs are getting too weak to stand up.

I’m going to research it. Thanks for the fabulous information.

Comment

Hello all! I bought this!!!
                      I'm very much on a learning curve and crave talking to other users. Anyone else out there who has this? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X