Is MS Hereditary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is MS Hereditary?

Scientists have not found one true cause behind multiple sclerosis. But what is known is that there is a genetic factor that could influence your disease risk.

How do your genes affect multiple sclerosis?
    There is no single gene that directly causes MS
    There are many genes—as much as 233—that each have their own small contribution to multiple sclerosis. “There’s a lot of research looking at what alleles, pieces of gene, in people with multiple sclerosis have that aren’t seen in the general population that could make them susceptible to the disease,” adds says Mary Ann Picone, M.D., a neurologist specializing in multiple sclerosis at Holy Name Medical Center.

Dr. Gutman says the ones most relevant to the development of multiple sclerosis are those involved in regulating the immune system. In other words, genes that regulate what your immune system will target versus not target. Indeed, research shows that some of these genes—HLA-DRB1 and the HLA-DRB1*15:01—are involved in innate immunity, the first line of defense when a threat is present in the body, and contributes to the progression of multiple sclerosis.

Your genes play a small role in getting MS
    Having a family history of multiple sclerosis can also elevate your risk of the disease, although it’s not something that’s passed down from parent to child. What’s more, even if a relative has multiple sclerosis, Dr. Gutman says the increased risk is very small in the grand scheme of things. “Compare it to sickle cell anemia where if a parent has sickle cell disease, you have a 25% chance of being a carrier, sometimes 50% depending on the other parent.”

“It’s one of the ways we know that multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease unlike Alzheimer's, where it's more of a neurodegenerative disease with a weaker genetic link,” adds Sharon Stoll, D.O., a neurologist specializing in multiple sclerosis and neuroimmunology at Yale School of Medicine.

What’s your genetic risk?
    You have an estimated 1 in 67 chance (1.5%) of getting multiple sclerosis if mother or father have it as well. A brother or sister with multiple sclerosis translates to a 1 in 37 (2.7%) chance of developing it yourself.

In identical twins whose genes are 100% identical, if one developed multiple sclerosis, the chances of the other getting it is 25%. “If this was a strictly genetic condition, one condition in one twin would mean a 100% chance of getting it for the other,” explains Dr. Gutman.

To put it in perspective, Dr. Gutman says having multiple sclerosis from a close relative makes you 20 times higher than the general population—raising your overall risk to 2% and a 98% chance you won’t ever develop it. “Again, there is a genetic contribution, but by far the most risk is non-genetic.”

Other risk factors for MS
    Genetic is only part of the story. There are environmental triggers that can increase your risk for multiple sclerosis. These include:

Epstein-Barr infection
    Low vitamin D levels
    Having other autoimmune diseases
    Smoking
    Obesity

Click the link for the rest of the story.

https://www.prevention.com/health/he...is-hereditary/

While I agree that familial predisposition is only part of the picture in my opinion it plays a significant part and should be considered by anyone planning pregnancy. I continue to be disappointed when it is minimized. This above study seems to gloss over the data as compared to this article for example:

"Like other autoimmune diseases, cases of MS cluster in families. Multiple studies have shown for example that monozygotic twins have a higher concordance rate (20%–30%) compared to dizygotic twins (2%–5%), providing strong support for a significant but complex genetic etiology in MS.13 Interestingly, the concordance rate appears to vary by latitude of birthplace: latitudes with higher MS prevalence also show a higher disease concordance rate in twins,4 suggesting that gene–environment interactions also play a role in susceptibility.

Equally important, siblings of an affected individual are 10–15 times more likely to develop MS than the general population.1,5 Second- and third-degree relatives, but not spouses, also carry a modest increased risk,6,7 consistent with genetic factors causing the familial clustering. The genetic component of MS is also reflected in the relative high incidence in some ancestral groups irrespective of geographic location.

Finally, MS shows more than expected co-occurrence with other autoimmune diseases affecting different organs,810 implying commonalities in the genetic factors leading to breakdown in self-tolerance and triggering of autoimmunity. Altogether, the interpretation of the epidemiological data establishes a non-linear relationship between genetic distance from a proband and disease lifetime risk, firmly clustering MS with the so-called complex genetic disorders. These are relatively common diseases characterized by moderate heritability, polygenicity, and multifaceted gene–environment interactions.11,12"

"
    A decade long effort of genomic screens provided unambiguous statistical evidence for the association of over 200 non-MHC loci with disease susceptibility. The mapping of additional risk variants is likely to follow rapidly utilizing next-generation genotyping and sequencing techniques. Unpublished meta-analysis of GWAS-derived data shows over 400 additional loci that, without attaining genome-wide statistical significance, are good candidates to be involved in risk (i.e. high probability of reaching statistical confirmation with adequately large sample sets). "

Ester Canto, Jorge R Oksenberg
    First Published January 8, 2018
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...52458517737371
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

This is all very interesting. I always though MS was hereditary since my mother had MS and I have MS.

Comment

Although I am the only one in my family with MS, my family has a strong history of autoimmune disease.

8 People: Myself, 2 siblings, 2 children and 3 nieces and nephews.
        9 autoimmume diseases: We have 1 MS, 3 Type I diabetes, 3 thyroid and 2 eczema

2 have zero; some have more than one.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

In my big Italian family I only had one uncle with MS. He kept it a big secret because, well, he was a man! When I was dx it came out that he had it too. And, he and I had many of the exact symptoms. Especially the facial numbness and pain. He eventually contracted Lou Gehrigs Desease and passed at about 77 years old. On my Dad's side of the family there is Lupus. So I guess I was the lucky one to get MS. I have about 60 cousins so these odds were great.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Mamabug your point about autoimmune disorders running in families is a good one. I have a first cousin with MS but also many relatives with other autoimmune disorders.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Likewise, only one with MS, but auto-imnune in immediate and extended family. I am 1 of 4 - my sister has UC and brother in middle of RA diagnosis. Nieces and nephews with celiac, chron's. And cousins with UC, RA, Chron's. Genetic jackpot
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

The autoimmune theory makes sense. There has been no MS among my blood relatives but my sister had Type I Diabetes and my other sister has low thyroid, Hashinoto’s disease, which is autoimmune also.

My diabetic sister and I were both low birthweight babies. I was 5lb3oz. I wonder if there is a correlation there.

Comment

Interesting discussion. Thanks for sharing this post.
                  Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Working...
                  X