Stress and MS Development or Flares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stress and MS Development or Flares?

Does Stress Increase the Risk for Multiple Sclerosis?

While it's known that the demands posed by a disease like MS can be anxiety-provoking and overwhelming, the specific effect of stress on MS development and relapses (also called flare-ups) remains unclear. Some research studies have found an association, and others have not.

This article will explore the possible connection between stress and MS, and why study results may not align. In addition, strategies to help manage stress when living with MS will also be examined.

Full article:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/stress-and-ms-5425848

Thank you for sharing this. While I think attempting to lower stress is a positive for anyone I personally haven't found a correlation.
    Thank goodness because my life tends to be fairly hectic at baseline.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Hi Marco (Jules),

Thanks for the thread Marco. I read with interest.... "...the specific effect of stress on MS development..."

Yes. Without a doubt stress can overwhelmingly trigger MS.

I lost my GF of over 30 years to cancer late 2005. From mid 2004 (her stage 3 dx) onward I can now point to numerous episodes of MS sx that I wasn't aware of being MS sx!

My stress and grief, especially from the moment of her passing at stage 4, brought forth physical sx that could not be dismissed. My MS dx resulted in 2008.

FWIW, my only sx before Eileen's passing: very poor chop stick usage and an occasional stumble.

Comment

Because I am now in SPMS, I no longer experience MS flares.

But, in the past, I could probably say that every single one of my flares was triggered by stress.

Sometimes emotional stress.
        Sometimes physical stress (illness or pain, etc)
        Sometimes eustress ("good stress"), such as anticipating an upcoming happy event.

Just as stress triggered my MS, the reverse is also true for me. MS triggers a lowered ability to tolerate normal stressors on my life.

For example, I no longer drive out of town, not due to an inability, but due to the stress it creates for me.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

.... my flares was triggered by stress.

Sometimes emotional stress.
          Sometimes physical stress (illness or pain, etc)
          Sometimes eustress ("good stress"), such as anticipating an upcoming happy event.

Eustress... Would have had to look this one up! Thanks Faith. Guess I understand.

My anticipation of 'happy events' is non-existent. It's unprofitable to conceive happiness in future things that may never happen. Let life unfold as it will.

Childhood events (anticipating Christmas, vacations, etc) made me anxious but never stressful.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

Just as stress triggered my MS, the reverse is also true for me. MS triggers a lowered ability to tolerate normal stressors on my life.

For example, I no longer drive out of town, not due to an inability, but due to the stress it creates for me.

Yes, for me, driving in my new locale is limited. Not knowing where I am can at times trigger stress followed by spasticity.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Hi Marco (Jules),

Thanks for the thread Marco. I read with interest.... "...the specific effect of stress on MS development..."

Yes. Without a doubt stress can overwhelmingly trigger MS.

I lost my GF of over 30 years to cancer late 2005. From mid 2004 (her stage 3 dx) onward I can now point to numerous episodes of MS sx that I wasn't aware of being MS sx!

My stress and grief, especially from the moment of her passing at stage 4, brought forth physical sx that could not be dismissed. My MS dx resulted in 2008.

FWIW, my only sx before Eileen's passing: very poor chop stick usage and an occasional stumble.
            Hi.
            So sorry for your loss.

It makes sense. I knew someone who was diagnosed after a car accident, no head injury so no MRI or CT at that time, and they were medically cleared. It appears to have been due to the stressful event that her motor skills began declining in the weeks after. She was diagnosed a couple of months later after a battery of tests.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X