Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)

If all goes as planned husband and I are about 10 years out but starting to look around a bit on line and through word of mouth for A CCRC. I'm terrified of not being prepared in advance for what is likely the inevitable skilled nursing need for one or both of us. It sounds wonderful to be able to just be wheeled across campus when the time comes.

Initially I thought we would go coastal and south but after reading a comment regarding evacuation during a hurricane I'm re-thinking. Maybe a river or pond? I really want to be Virginia or further south on the East Coast. I wish Lancaster PA was warmer as I heard there is a nice and relatively affordable one there but the cold weather does me in. As we get closer to moving we will tour the narrowed down list to get a feel for the sense of community. We are hoping a couple we know may go to the same place so we have built in friends.

Any information or experiences would be appreciated.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
    If all goes as planned husband and I are about 10 years out but starting to look around a bit on line and through word of mouth for A CCRC. I'm terrified of not being prepared in advance for what is likely the inevitable skilled nursing need for one or both of us. It sounds wonderful to be able to just be wheeled across campus when the time comes.

Hey Jules! Yeah, who else but me would have 2 cents for your thread?

Thinking ahead is great. Filtering out unnecessary needs & wants is spring cleaning for the soul. But don't let the tail wag the dog. 10 years is a long time to address being prepared. And nothing is inevitable. Lastely there are a lot of stop-gaps before skilled nursing enters any conversation.

Initially I thought we would go coastal and south but after reading a comment regarding evacuation during a hurricane I'm re-thinking. Maybe a river or pond? I really want to be Virginia or further south on the East Coast.

Your research will find 3 or 4 very large organizations in this field. If I remember the largest had near 100 locations nationwide (not all with assisted living or dementia availability). This isn't a bad thing but narrowing down before you begin a search would be the best approach. I agree as to FL, plus I found their overall pitch seemed more retirement than a Life community or CCRC community, although they had CCRC as a selling point.

I wish Lancaster PA was warmer as I heard there is a nice and relatively affordable one there but the cold weather does me in. As we get closer to moving we will tour the narrowed down list to get a feel for the sense of community. We are hoping a couple we know may go to the same place so we have built in friends.

I don't know where you live but will check as soon as I post reply. I moved south but certainly less than 200 miles. And less altitude makes it warmer too. I like the seasons. And remember You buy in. Everything, or near everything is done on campus by someone else! (this is a general rule of thumb, not all are the same).

Any information or experiences would be appreciated.

I'll begin to think of negatives which may help you, but remember, I'm not you or DH....

Jer

Comment

I read about something called Greenhouse Project. The philosophy really coincides with what I think we need to live well, especially those of us with MS who are still intellectually alert and have many interests more sophisticated than bingo.

They each have their own separate bedroom and bathroom but wheel themselves to a central hub where they can cook together and lounge around. It reminds me of the communal student houses that sprouted up in the 1960s.

There is one in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Virginia is such a beautiful state. I don’t blame you for setting your sights on it. There are so many places on the east coast that are beautiful. I would want to be there, too but would feel strange so far from my family.

You are smart to be researching all of this before it is an emergency. But I wish you many more happy years in your own home.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Hey Jules! Yeah, who else but me would have 2 cents for your thread?

Thinking ahead is great. Filtering out unnecessary needs & wants is spring cleaning for the soul. But don't let the tail wag the dog. 10 years is a long time to address being prepared. And nothing is inevitable. Lastely there are a lot of stop-gaps before skilled nursing enters any conversation.

Your research will find 3 or 4 very large organizations in this field. If I remember the largest had near 100 locations nationwide (not all with assisted living or dementia availability). This isn't a bad thing but narrowing down before you begin a search would be the best approach. I agree as to FL, plus I found their overall pitch seemed more retirement than a Life community or CCRC community, although they had CCRC as a selling point.

I don't know where you live but will check as soon as I post reply. I moved south but certainly less than 200 miles. And less altitude makes it warmer too. I like the seasons. And remember You buy in. Everything, or near everything is done on campus by someone else! (this is a general rule of thumb, not all are the same).

I'll begin to think of negatives which may help you, but remember, I'm not you or DH....

Jer
        Thanks Jer! I was hoping you'd weigh in. 10 years is the target if nothing happens in the meantime to move it along sooner but you are correct in that a lot can and likely will change over that time. We live outside of Washington DC right now. I also like the seasons but would prefer more mild Jan-March.

The assisted living and memory care component is important to us and the main reason we are planning on CCRC but yes hopefully there will be many years in between having a condo/cottage to the skilled nursing component.

Was location the biggest factor in your decision? Thank you again for your time and insight.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
          I read about something called Greenhouse Project. The philosophy really coincides with what I think we need to live well, especially those of us with MS who are still intellectually alert and have many interests more sophisticated than bingo.

They each have their own separate bedroom and bathroom but wheel themselves to a central hub where they can cook together and lounge around. It reminds me of the communal student houses that sprouted up in the 1960s.

There is one in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Virginia is such a beautiful state. I don’t blame you for setting your sights on it. There are so many places on the east coast that are beautiful. I would want to be there, too but would feel strange so far from my family.

You are smart to be researching all of this before it is an emergency. But I wish you many more happy years in your own home.
          Thanks palmtree for the information and your kind wishes! The Greenhouse Project looks really nice and the houses are adorable. What a great concept and far more manageable than the giant facilities.

It looks like Harrisonburg VA has several nice options. I hadn't heard of that before but is appears to be a beautiful area. I'm going to check them out.

Happy Spring! Jules
          Anonymous

Comment

I will be very interested to hear about it if you find anything out.

Jer made a good point. There are a lot of stop gaps before a skilled nursing facility enters the picture. I think any kind of in home care would be my choice as long as I can afford it.

For many years, I have had helpers coming in, either every day or a few days a week. I hire them, supervise them and they learn all the little details about the things I used to be able to do for myself. I set the rules. The idea of having someone who couldn’t finish high school bossing me around would not be my idea of nirvana.

A lot of the girls who have worked for me over the years have worked in skilled nursing facilities. They all tell me the same thing, “You would not want to go to one of those places.”

One told me they had to get everyone up by 6:30am and into their wheelchairs or it would be considered neglect. The others just say there is a lot of abuse and they are not clean.

I don’t want to be all negative about this. I just believe we have a right to maintain our dignity, live in a clean environment and be free to come and go as we choose.

I really hope you come across something that looks good. I’m sure we’d all like to know about it. I think the good ones have waiting lists. The cost is really a big factor, too, This best ones are very pricey and the ones that take Medicaid not as desirable.

I just remembered, my mother’s best friend is in one in San Diego that she loves. She said she has her own detached private guest house and said the caregivers are really kind and a lot of fun. Her husband died awhile ago and I heard from my mom that she now has a boyfriend. She is 95.

San Diego has a beautiful climate. It’s warm every day but doesn’t get too hot and never humid.

If moving out to the west coast sounds appealing to you I could find out what the name of the place is.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
              I will be very interested to hear about it if you find anything out.

Jer made a good point. There are a lot of stop gaps before a skilled nursing facility enters the picture. I think any kind of in home care would be my choice as long as I can afford it.

For many years, I have had helpers coming in, either every day or a few days a week. I hire them, supervise them and they learn all the little details about the things I used to be able to do for myself. I set the rules. The idea of having someone who couldn’t finish high school bossing me around would not be my idea of nirvana.

A lot of the girls who have worked for me over the years have worked in skilled nursing facilities. They all tell me the same thing, “You would not want to go to one of those places.”

One told me they had to get everyone up by 6:30am and into their wheelchairs or it would be considered neglect. The others just say there is a lot of abuse and they are not clean.

I don’t want to be all negative about this. I just believe we have a right to maintain our dignity, live in a clean environment and be free to come and go as we choose.

I really hope you come across something that looks good. I’m sure we’d all like to know about it. I think the good ones have waiting lists. The cost is really a big factor, too, This best ones are very pricey and the ones that take Medicaid not as desirable.

I just remembered, my mother’s best friend is in one in San Diego that she loves. She said she has her own detached private guest house and said the caregivers are really kind and a lot of fun. Her husband died awhile ago and I heard from my mom that she now has a boyfriend. She is 95.

San Diego has a beautiful climate. It’s warm every day but doesn’t get too hot and never humid.

If moving out to the west coast sounds appealing to you I could find out what the name of the place is.
              I think you hit the nail on the head that the good ones are probably very pricey. Your mother's best friend's situation sounds really great and I suspect in California it is expensive.

And oh my I will be very cranky if they try to herd me out of bed at the crack of dawn!
              Anonymous

Comment

The assisted living and memory care component is important to us and the main reason we are planning on CCRC but yes hopefully there will be many years in between having a condo/cottage to the skilled nursing component.

Yes, I felt the same. You get to know your disease course over the years and recognize the dire aspects related to MS may possibly increase.

I didn't want to wait considering my age (72), and after the move, the "in-your-face" fact that you do NOT want to do that again!

You may want to review a CCRC's aging-in-place agreement and related, their personal care assessment criteria. Also note that religions and fraternal organizations run CCRC's. Trade off's may need to be considered. No golf carts here, limits on outsiders using facility, no alcohol sold on campus, that kind of thing.

And although you can enter assisted living wing or campus without having been a part of independent living, you go to the top of the list if you were a part of the community before the need for assisted living.

Forgot... No location was not a factor. Love heat with no adverse effects! but do get stiffer if exceptionally cold. And I have no immediate family to consider.

Lastly, if you want I'll enter contact info in my MSW bio.

Comment

Thank you! Much appreciated.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Best wishes as you begin to look for a good fit for your needs.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                      Best wishes as you begin to look for a good fit for your needs.
                      Thank you Faith!
                      Anonymous

Comment

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Jules, see profile, good through Mothers Day.

Comment

Jules, see profile, good through Mothers Day.
                          I looked the other day and just checked again but can't find it!
                          Anonymous

Comment

I looked the other day and just checked again but can't find it!

About / contact / AIM / and there you are

Comment

About / contact / AIM / and there you are
                              Doh! Was looking for email. Thanks Jer!
                              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X