Dairy increases inflammation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy increases inflammation

While I was at my neuro appointment today I asked the doctor, which, of all that MS diets out there, would he choose. He said that all have positives and negatives. But he said that if there was ONE food he would omit or eat cautiously it would be dairy. He said it increased inflammation. I came home to Google and this is what I found:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0nerve%20cells.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

I forgot to add.....

NOW what do I put in my morning coffee???
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

This is not a recommendation for all MS patients. It appears they are saying for people who feel worse when eating dairy, avoid it. The detail in the article says they suspect a subset of MS patients developed an allergic reaction to dairy over time. It is only in the allergic people did they observe the inflammatory response that affected the nerves. They are looking to develop a self test that would allow them to id folks with this problem.

If you you are targeting inflammation, then an anti-inflammatory diet should be considered. All 3 of my neuro's have said to only elimate foods if sensitive to it( gluten, dairy, etc..). They all recommended the Mediterranean diet since it is anti-inflammatory and limits exposure to added sugars, fats, etc...
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Pistachio
        But he said that if there was ONE food he would omit or eat cautiously it would be dairy.
        Thanks for this, Pistachio!

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        This is not a recommendation for all MS patients. ...
        Well ... , it depends who you ask.

I have seen 3 different functional medicine doctors. All three strongly believe in eliminating dairy due to the casein (the protein) in dairy. All three also believe strongly in eliminating gluten.

Changing my diet after seeing the first FM doc has kept my MS stable. I switched to a second doc after the first one believed there was nothing additional he could offer. And, I added the third because she is also a neurologist (I switched from my previous neuro to her). The second and third FM docs, although not in conflict with each others' advice, seem to be focusing on different aspects, so I appreciate the combination of both perspectives.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

Well ... , it depends who you ask.
          That may be. I was commenting that the study referenced does not state it is for all MS patients - the neurologic inflammation documented was specific to those patients who also developed an allergy to dairy. This is an important point, as the thread title makes it appear as it is 100% fact for all.

I am glad that by changing your diet you fell better and your MS stabilized. We all have different gut bacteria which influence us. Even when not allergic, many people have sensitivities.

So to all, if eliminating something from your diet makes you feel better, go for it. Just make sure your doctor's know so they can do appropriate bloodwork, bone density scans, etc.., as additional supplements/increased dosage may be needed. I have no dairy sensitivity, eat yogurt and spinach daily, and take calcium and vitamin D3, do resistant exercises, but I am borderline on developing osteopenia (family genetics). So unless I absolutely had to, I won't eliminate dairy, as too much risk to me personally. This risk assessment is one we all need to make individually in consultation with our doctors.

Kathy

Comment

Yes; we all need to make our own decisions based on the information we have.

Dairy is only one way to reduce risk of osteoporosis. Other foods are also good sources of calcium and vitamin D. Other strategies include a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, avoiding smoking, limiting caffeine and alcohol, and doing regular weight bearing and strength-training activities.

Dairy is a common food sensitivity. People with food sensitivities may not always exhibit symptoms.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Yes; we all need to make our own decisions based on the information we have.

Dairy is only one way to reduce risk of osteoporosis. Other foods are also good sources of calcium and vitamin D. Other strategies include a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, avoiding smoking, limiting caffeine and alcohol, and doing regular weight bearing and strength-training activities.

Dairy is a common food sensitivity. People with food sensitivities may not always exhibit symptoms.
              Just do want to comment that I do eat foods rich in calcium aside from dairy, get my fruits and veggies in covering the color wheel, don't smoke, drink one cup of caffeinated tea in the morning, can count the number of glasses of alcohol I have in one year (less than 10), and do a variety of weight bearing and resistance training exercises, but yet, I still am borderline. My goal is to make sure I don't cross the line.

Why tell this - it is the reason to see all your doctors and get regular check ups outside of MS. So people should feel free to try different diets and find what makes them feel the best, just don't neglect getting regular health check ups.

My last comment on this, as the primary point to my initial comment was to clarify the facts in the study.
              Kathy

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                X