X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSAA What’s New in MS Research 3/22

Newsletter Topics

Assessing the impact of obesity and depression on people with MS

Evidence of neuroprotective effects from stem cell transplant in progressive MS

Change in brain volume on MRI predicts disease progression in MS

Reduction in lesion volume and number seen on MRI with ublituximab

Study shows early treatment with Mavenclad® lessened MS burden in later years

Sustained relapse control over four years with Zeposia®, while the benefit-to-risk profile remains unchanged

Sketching a picture of those who do not receive disease-modifying therapy for their MS

New ACTH gel available for acute exacerbations

Searching for the Causes of Ethnic Variations in MS

Shared decision-making in MS: Study finds room for improvement

Shared decision-making and cognitive impairment: a dilemma in MS care

One more indicator of MS clinicians’ dedication to their patients

https://mymsaa.org/news/whats-new-in...ch-march-2022/

Thanks for the link!

Comment

Thank you Marco.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

This raises a question for me. Our lesions seem to look less pronounced on our MRIs as the time goes on. Clinicians tend to regard them as in the past. Something insignificant. I have always been under the impression that the lesions will continue to progress leading to decline.

Of course, the new treatments are causing improvements in function that are awesome.

Will we experience improvement or are we just developing neuronal pathways to compensate? Everything takes longer for me to remember things, thing of things I want to say and get things done.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
          This raises a question for me. Our lesions seem to look less pronounced on our MRIs as the time goes on. Clinicians tend to regard them as in the past. Something insignificant. I have always been under the impression that the lesions will continue to progress leading to decline.

Of course, the new treatments are causing improvements in function that are awesome.

Will we experience improvement or are we just developing neuronal pathways to compensate? Everything takes longer for me to remember things, thing of things I want to say and get things done.
          It is confusing. I remember reading a few different studies over the years.

Time lapse MRIs have shown lesions can appear and disappear, not causing relapses. These may be missed if not getting MRIs on a frequent basis. What is their role in MS?

In other studies, lesions that shrink or disappear over time and leave a black hole are thought to result in progression. It may represent a loss we can't compensate for, or one that a new pathway for signals may develop, but not be as efficient (which is one of the theories on MS fatigue, caused by extra effort to follow new pathway).

But I think any treatment that can restore myelin and axonal damage will help improve symptoms. If it can fully restore it 100%, I like to think we would see full improvement over time as our strength increases. Likewise, if a treatment results in different neural pathways, improvement can happen. But if the new pathways aren't as efficient or effective, some symptoms may improve, but remain.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I don't know if this relates to your question or not, Palmtree. My understanding is, that after I reach SPMS, I no longer experience MS flares or develop new lesions. But, continuing damage continues to occur in my old, existing lesions, resulting in continued progression of disease and symptoms.

That almost sound like the opposite of what you are talking about -- that lesions begin to look less pronounced.

I guess I don't know the answer.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X