No announcement yet.

Coming Out About Your Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I told my job right away, but that was because I was rapidly draining my FMLA, could no longer do the work, and wound up quitting without notice. I loved my boss and enjoyed my job. My friends all know, because I wanted them to understand why I've become a hermit. They're quite supportive, and we stay in touch regularly with email and texts. I gladly answer questions from strangers and casual acquaintances. My neighbors know, because we all look out for each other.

The ones I regret telling are my family. The whole family. My mother and kids needed to know, because they're the ones who see me all the time and already knew that something was wrong. But I'm sorry I shared it with everyone else. Like Pistachio, I don't want pity or hero worship. The extended relatives run the gamut from "You're going to die soon" to "Oh, you're so brave!". They either treat me like I'm fragile or go into great detail about how their co-worker with MS still works 80 hours a week, runs in marathons, and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro last month so I should, too. I dread running into any of them, and it's my own fault for TMI. Know your audience before you open up.

Comment

So much for disclosing, lol.

I think I may have just been written out of my stepmother's will to care for her cat's if she and my father die. She just called me and grilled me about MS, news flash lady you have known about it for over 15 years, and then asked who will take care of my animals when I'm not able. Reasonable question for sure but I am a bit offended because during early COVID she called me in hysterics and I agreed if something happened to her and my father I'd drive over 1,000 miles (during a pandemic) to get her cats because her family refused to assist and now apparently I'm not up to par.

At the end of the conversation about my prognosis and arrangements for my animals if something happens to myself and my husband she said she needs to update her will. Whatev.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X