Having trouble regulating body temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble regulating body temperature

I find that my body goes from getting cold to hot (or vice versa) and happens many times during the day. I wear layers and am constantly taking my layers on and off so often that it's beginning to annoy me. The temp in my house is a constant comfortable 71 degrees. I can be in a lightweight t-shirt to having to wear a sweater in a matter of minutes. Then reversing that order. There is no rhyme nor reason when it will happen.

I recently had my thyroid levels checked and I'm fine there. I am way beyond post menopausal, so it's not hot flashes.
    Does anyone have this same problem? If so, what do you know and what are you doing about it?
    Is this an MS thing?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I am the same. While I don't get hot flashes from menopause, I can still heat up based on foods (chocolate, baked goods, alcohol - pretty much anything with higher sugar content or any higher fat food). My glucose and A1HC have been normal, getting routine check tomorrow again. I do have hypothyroidism, but it is controlled with Rx.

It drives me insane. I always have short sleeves on as first layer. Our house is usually 71-72. Wish I knew the answer.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have been dealing with this this for several years. My Neurologist said more than likely it’s MS. My PCP does keep track of my thyroid numbers as that would be the only other cause (my thyroid is fine).

Unfortunately, there isn’t anything that can be done .

Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I always keep a fan by my side and it usually cools me down till my temp goes back to normal. It is a terrible thing though because sometimes I feel like I am burning up.

Comment

As soon as I stand up and start walking, or even just standing preparing a meal or doing chores, etc, my body begins to heat up.

When I get warm, I become extremely weak, so I need to keep my apartment very cool (mid 60's).

Since this is too cool for me while sitting in my recliner, I purchased a small ceramic heater (with remote control) that I turn on and off as needed while sitting, or during the night.

In the summer, with A/C (a thru-the-wall type of air conditioner), I also use a remote control to regulate the temperature as needed.

I can keep it on low or off while sitting, and then blast it on high when I get up to move around.

Thank goodness for remote controls.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

I understand and am familiar with body heat turning up when being active and cooking in the kitchen, etc., but when I am just sitting and relaxing, I can go from hot to cold or cold to hot for no reason in amatter of a short time. Very strange, indeed!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I forgot to mention that I do warm up quite a bit (while sitting) anywhere from 30 min to 45 min after eating.

I use a good size stand fan (also with remote) for about an hour and a half after eating.

I could never do the clothes layer on/off routine - way too exhausting, as I only have use of one arm and hand.

I would get annoyed too, Seasha!
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Nothing to offer except my empathy. Hopefully it is a transient thing.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                X