Exercise question again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise question again

Another question on exercise please. Being 75 yr old, having problems walking due to MS is it possible to increase indurance when exercising. Having to much pain and weekness walking the length of the pool. Any suggestions. I go 3 times a week walk for about 15 min.

Walking is always good. I'm 71 yrs old and I do try to walk as much as possible. I made a mistake yesterday by trying some target exercises and last night my ribs were killing me. Seems like most activities hurt me now that I'm getting older. My problem is that I don't always think or feel this age and I forget and try to do just what I used to do. Not cool. Does not work much anymore. Some days I just do laps around the house... inside. If the weather is good I walk around the neighborhood or just in my yard. It's hard to be "good" and keep it down to basic movements.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by msnana View Post
      Another question on exercise please. Being 75 yr old, having problems walking due to MS is it possible to increase indurance when exercising. Having to much pain and weekness walking the length of the pool. Any suggestions. I go 3 times a week walk for about 15 min.
      Hi msnana!

It seems to me (non-professional opinion ) that doing some leg exercises and leg stretches on a regular basis (not overdoing, however), could improve your walking endurance.

However, I don't know your situation as well as your doctor does, in order to give concrete suggestions.

I know that for me, regular leg stretching helps me to walk better by easing the spasticity / tightness. Easier walking, in turn, allows me to walk a little longer, as my legs don't tire as quickly when they're not so tight.

Do your legs have tightness (spasticity)?

If you do, try some mild leg stretching, daily, (if it is safe and doable for you) and see if there is any improvement with your walking.

I need to stretch my legs more than once a day, in order to keep my legs more relaxed and loose.

Wishing you the best, msnana.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Oh my goodness, y'all are so smart, I forget so much and knew I have to stretch, so guess I'll start that again. How can anyone forget that.

Comment

KoKo suggestions are good ones! I am also in my 70''s and my endurance isn't what it used to be.

Do you, by any chance, have walking poles (trekking poles)? I find that using them while I walk is beneficial. It helps propel me along, plus the extra benefit is that you are are also exercising your arms and it helps with balance. I always start small walks and build up endurance gradually. Can't go that far, but it does help.

Take care!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
          X