Covid-19 Booster shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid-19 Booster shots

In case anyone is wondering, the NMSS put out their guidelines for booster recommendations for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccinated individuals.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...ooster)-and-MS
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
    In case anyone is wondering, the NMSS put out their guidelines for booster recommendations for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccinated individuals.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...ooster)-and-MS
    Hi Kathy,

Didn't check the link but did go into pharmacy after receiving an email reminder for annual 65+ flu shot. They said no problem if I wanted a Pfizer booster.... Got both together a week ago.

My only concern was getting the booster 10 weeks after my 2nd Pfizer shot.

Hope the NMSS hasn't a problem, I haven't!

Jer

Comment

Hi Jer,

The NMSS recommendations are based on which DMTs you are on. For those suppressing the immune system (they list them individually), they recommend a booster now, as long as it has been 28 days since your 2nd vaccine shot. They also provide timing recommendations of the booster based on your DMT schedule.

Glad you received yours. Hope no side effects Mine will be mid-December. I had my neuro check up yesterday as well, he said the same thing, follow the general public guideline of 8 months after the 2nd vaccine shot was received.

Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy, Not on any DMTs and exceeded the month long time frame between #2 and #3.... No side effects on any shots so, Good to go.

Just wonder why the pharmacy appeared so anxious to administer the booster when they had an additional 6+ months after my 2nd dose?

Follow the money?

Comment

I just had my ocrevus infusion today. I couldn't see my neuro but saw another in the group. He told me I could get the 3rd dose in two weeks. The NMSS is recommending 3 months after. I am so confused. I did ask some questions and he answered and guess what, I am still confused.
          Maybe I should wait 2 months.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi reg.

I can understand your confusion. I know my neuro is following the NMSS time table, hoping for more antibodies for people by going further out in the infusion cycle.
            Kathy

Comment

I had my rituximab infusion in May. Shingrix and hepB vaccines in early August and Moderna booster on Wednesday. Xolair injection on Thursday.

I need to get a flu shot at some point and finish the Shingrix and hepB series before next year's rituximab infusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                I had my rituximab infusion in May. Shingrix and hepB vaccines in early August and Moderna booster on Wednesday. Xolair injection on Thursday.

I need to get a flu shot at some point and finish the Shingrix and hepB series before next year's rituximab infusion.
                That is alot to keep track of and coordinate timing! I guess I need to think about that too and lay out a schedule.
                Kathy

Comment

I hope to talk to my doctor about what my options will be. I had the J&J.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I know someone who is in perfect health (and not immune suppressant) who got the booster shot a couple weeks ago. It was way before their 8 months waiting period. The folks who administered it didn't even ask for proof of health status!

Seems to me it was under false pretenses that prompted the action. It bothered me.
                    I'm waiting the full 8 months to get mine. Mid November for me and my husband.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

In general, they don’t seem too strict about proving you are immune suppressed. In some states at risk patients are eligible to get a booster without leaving their home.

I have an appointment in September and it will be done.

Comment

I went two weeks ago for my booster and i had my second dose of pfizer back in February. Even though I checked immunocompromised (after they already said I qualified) on the box (and i am on a DMT that suppresses the immune system), they didn't even ask for proof. I feel like anyone could have walked in and received it as long as month passed the last dose. I went and got it as I work in health care with an uptick in cases in the agency i work for. No side effects from any of them either which makes me question if getting it was worth it since i heard getting a side effect was a good thing. I don't know. This is all so confusing and conflicting.
                        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
                        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jennaly16 View Post
                          No side effects from any of them either which makes me question if getting it was worth it since i heard getting a side effect was a good thing. I don't know. This is all so confusing and conflicting.
                          This article may help. Not all people have side effects, but they are still protected. That being said, if on a DMT that suppresses the immune system, definitely take all the extra precautions you can.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/i...-isnt-working/
                          Kathy

Comment

Thank you for sharing!
                            Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
                            Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Getting my Moderna booster shot today!
                              Most of my grandkids will be getting their 1/3 dose shots soon.
                              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X