Wife is starting to fall to often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife is starting to fall to often

My wife, 78 diagnosed 21 years ago, still on copaxone still walking is starting to fall much to often, like once a week. After the first couple of falls we started using a walker outside which is fine. It’s inside, going to the bathroom, walking from room to room etc without a walker that she falls. So far she hasn’t hurt herself but it’s just a matter of time. Any suggestions besides the obvious of using a walker all the time? She is trying to avoid that. Thank you for your help.

Hi robert -

Take it from me, also at an older age, she doesn't want to have a BAD fall! I would suggest, based on my experiences of falling, that using a walker full time is the best way to stay safe. I, too, resisted in the beginning, but I found that with a walker I could navigate much easier and more safely.

Another suggestion is using a cane inside if she isn't using one already. I have also used 2 trekking poles with rubber tips in the past. And some physical therapy might be helpful at this time which would help her learn strategies, gain more strength and balance with exercises.

Hope others can chime in.
    Take care! Both you and your wife
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I would also suggest she use assistive devices indoors. Yes, it's definitely a blow to the ego, but better than getting hurt in a fall.

Why is she falling? Is it a balance issue, leg strength issue or what? Whatever the cause is needs to be addressed with targeted therapy. It takes work and determination, but you can improve both balance and leg strength.

​There are even therapist that can teach "fall training" so if, or when, you minimize the chances of seriously hurting yourself.

I'm really sorry that you both are dealing with this, but you cannot just continue to let her fall and hope for the best.
      I
      wish you both well...

Comment

Seasha, thank you. We have to do something. I think she will start with a cane indoors.

Comment

Marco, thank you for your suggestions.
          why is she falling is definitely the question. She does have a balance issue and her legs are weak. She goes to physical therapy three times a week. From what I can see the staff is very dedicated but I’m not sure she is benefiting from therapy. We used to walk a mile everyday and when she started therapy she basically stopped walking and just concentrated on the therapy and thus in my opinion the decline. Her pain doctor told her last week to start walking again to get the blood flowing through the legs so maybe we’ll see some improvement. I also just found a five minute balance exercise on you tube that might be helpful.

Comment

Yeah; you've received good advice. I also encourage the use of an assistive device indoors. Life just is what it is, you know?

Physical therapy is a possible resource. Sometimes, they want to sign you up for a bunch of sessions. Before committing to that, hopefully they can determine at the initial assessment whether it is likely that PT could help or whether it would be mostly useless.

Also, I'd encourage general healthy habits.
            - A healthy diet (consider Wahl's Protocol or the non-inflammatory diet from our Resources section (https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...t-inflammation).

- Regular exercising (could include some kind of strength training, some cardio, some chair yoga, etc. Maybe there's a gym/facility near you that offers classes. Maybe she could find something on YouTube to do at home, etc.)
            There might be some good exercise ideas here: https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...ic-for-january

- Get rid of toxins in your household.

- Manage/decrease stress, add meditation and or deep breathing, listen to relaxing music, going to her "happy place", etc.

Those changes, and more, have helped to keep my MS stable in recent years.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Faith, thank you for replying. We live in south Jersey and have a big Y near us that offers a lot of activities. The PT facility she goes to is only for MS patients. There is another one near Boston. Medicare and supplement pays for everything.This falling is new to us. We went to the “big guns” at Penn, Jefferson and Temple for the test and diagnosis but we see a general neurologist for the yearly care such as it is. The doctor basically fills the copaxone (now generic glopata ) prescription and this is our fault. In the 21 years we have been seeing him we ignored his suggestions including MRI testing because we felt there was no treatment for anything that would show up and she was doing remarkably well and felt it would be best to treat the symptoms instead. It worked for 21 years but now here we are. The falling started about six weeks ago. We are going to use assistive devices and see if this will pass now that summer heat is over and she can go outside and start walking again. If it doesn’t I guess we will go to one of the MS centers that are available in Philly.

you made excellent suggestions. Thank you.

Comment

Hi Robert

Originally posted by robert152 View Post
                My wife, 78 diagnosed 21 years ago, still on copaxone still walking is starting to fall much to often, like once a week.
                Sorry your wife keeps falling.

The risk of injury, and the seriousness of the injury, increases with age. I am more than 20 years younger than your wife, and have broken both hips due to falls. Once, I hit my head after a fall and sustained a concussion.

This falling is new to us.
                The falling started about six weeks ago.
                Do her doctors and therapists all know how often she is falling, and this is new? To suddenly start falling once a week seems odd to me.

Has anyone considered she's had a relapse?
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Kimba22, thank you for responding.
                  I am sorry you broke both your hips. Did you have to have replacements? That’s what scares me. Like I said above she goes to therapy three times a week and they do know about the falling and are working with her on strengthening her legs. She also has started walking with a walker outside again now that the weather is cooling.

I hope it is a relapse so maybe there will be a remit and she will have time to straighten her legs and work on her balance. Did you do anything unique to prevent your falling.

again, thanks for caring.

Comment

Thanks, Robert. No, mine were repaired with titanium rods, plates, and screws.

One of the reasons I was falling was because my knees would suddenly buckle. So I was fitted for a custom AFO (ankle foot orthtic) by an orthotist. Before that, had been using one of the "off the shelf" models for my footdrop. Surprisingly (to me, at least), it helped.

I also used a rollater type walker (these are the three or four wheeled walkers with a seat in the middle).

Best wishes for your wife.
                    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                    X