Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain from not having meds?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pain from not having meds?

    Is it possible that im having lower back pain that seems to be getting worse because i havent had MS meds in over a month? I saw neuro on 12/26/19 and she prescribed Tecfidera. I still haven't received the medication. I've been calling the pharmacy, my neurologist and my insurance company (Fidelis). I need pre-authorization. I keep getting voicemails in the different departments in the neuro's office. Noone calls back. Is anyone else on Medicare? I have Fidelis thru Medicare (and Medigap) and I think i read somewhere that Medicare doesn't cover this med. Does anyone have any info about this?
    Sleep is difficult to come by, take it when you can

    #2
    Ram,

    I a sorry you are in pain and going through this needless hassle. I would suggest you stop calling the insurance company and file an online complaint with the insurance commissionerís office of your state. Stress the urgency because of the pain you are in and advise them tecfidera is a Medicare approved drug for MS. Be sure to include your area code and telephone number in your email because I believe If you file this in the morning your insurance company will be CALLING YOU before the end of the day or at the latest, the following day. That has been my experience the few times I had to resort to this action.

    Ram, the above is for dealing with the insurance company. It sounds like this might be a new prescription so your neurologist might have to email or talk to the insurance Company. I would suggest you go to her/his office and donít leave until they confirm all the necessary paperwork is completed to satisfy the pre authorization. Are you good at creating a scene?

    Good luck.

    Comment


      #3
      Not Insurance, but neuro

      The insurance company gave me information and told me the neurologists office never contacted them for preauthorization. I can't get thru to the neurologist departments, I keep getting voicemail for pharmacy n pre authorization.

      QUOTE=robert152;1524195]I a sorry you are in pain and going through this needless hassle. I would suggest you stop calling the insurance company and file an online complaint with the insurance commissionerís office of your state. Stress the urgency because of the pain you are in and advise them tecfidera is a Medicare approved drug for MS. Be sure to include your area code and telephone number in your email because I believe If you file this in the morning your insurance company will be CALLING YOU before the end of the day or at the latest, the following day. That has been my experience the few times I had to resort to this action.

      Ram, the above is for dealing with the insurance company. It sounds like this might be a new prescription so your neurologist might have to email or talk to the insurance Company. I would suggest you go to her/his office and donít leave until they confirm all the necessary paperwork is completed to satisfy the pre authorization. Are you good at creating a scene?

      Good luck.[/QUOTE]
      Sleep is difficult to come by, take it when you can

      Comment


        #4
        Finally got thru to neuros office

        Finally got a call back from neuros office. They told me they sent the prescription to pharmacy and I told them they need to contact my insurance company for pre authorization. I said I called insurance company and they haven't heard from you and they sent you a message saying that the Tecfidera needed to be pre authorized. Apparently the 20 or so messages weren't clear enough for them because my message told them the same thing the insurance company told them. Even the pharmacy contacted them telling them they need pre authorization. I hope they finally understand what they need to do. Meanwhile I'm lying here with stabbing back pain to the point where I can barely standup straight. I was told that it's probably because I've been off MS meds for 2 months and the back pain is most likely because I haven't had meds... Like my father says 'You can't fix stupid'
        Originally posted by ram11273 View Post
        The insurance company gave me information and told me the neurologists office never contacted them for preauthorization. I can't get thru to the neurologist departments, I keep getting voicemail for pharmacy n pre authorization.

        QUOTE=robert152;1524195]I a sorry you are in pain and going through this needless hassle. I would suggest you stop calling the insurance company and file an online complaint with the insurance commissionerís office of your state. Stress the urgency because of the pain you are in and advise them tecfidera is a Medicare approved drug for MS. Be sure to include your area code and telephone number in your email because I believe If you file this in the morning your insurance company will be CALLING YOU before the end of the day or at the latest, the following day. That has been my experience the few times I had to resort to this action.

        Ram, the above is for dealing with the insurance company. It sounds like this might be a new prescription so your neurologist might have to email or talk to the insurance Company. I would suggest you go to her/his office and donít leave until they confirm all the necessary paperwork is completed to satisfy the pre authorization. Are you good at creating a scene?

        Good luck.
        [/QUOTE]
        Sleep is difficult to come by, take it when you can

        Comment


          #5
          Hello Ram. I know what back pain feels like. Some of it was degeneration over the years. Some of it was caused by an altered gait while I struggle to walk. Some of it was from spasticity affecting my core strength and thus my back. Itís a horrible mess to be in. I donít think the MS meds will be the fix. You may need medication especially for your back.
          Good luck and I hope youíre back issues are short lived.
          It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

          Comment


            #6
            Iím sorry youíre in pain. Tecfidera is not a pain reliever. In fact it has some side effects that are distressing for many patients. Stomach upset, diarrhea, and flushing with skin tingling and burning are common in the first weeks. I took Tecfidera for two years.

            Medicare part D covers Tecfidera, not your Medicare part B and Medigap policy. There can be a substantial co-pay, over $1,000 for the first month, unless you qualify for one of the special help programs. The cost can be an unpleasant surprise.

            If youíve been told your pain is from not having MS meds for two months Iíd seriously question who told you that. I donít know of any MS meds except steroids that alleviate symptoms at all.
            What were you taking before?

            Severe pain might be MS but it might also be from some other condition. I hope you can get some help with it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
              If youíve been told your pain is from not having MS meds for two months Iíd seriously question who told you that. I donít know of any MS meds except steroids that alleviate symptoms at all.
              What were you taking before?

              Severe pain might be MS but it might also be from some other condition. I hope you can get some help with it.
              I question this too and am curious who told you in the first place. I've never heard of back pain as a result of stopping a DMT. I would look to consulting with a spine/back pain specialist or perhaps a urologist as kidney infections can cause severe back pain if it continues to get worse.

              I do hope you find relief and also sorry you are experiencing pain.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

              Comment


                #8
                Sorry for your pain, and your delay in getting through to your neuro office.

                Many offices now have patient portals or something similar to email so you can get in touch online. Perhaps you can look into that so you'll have an additional option next time.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

                Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
                .

                - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hi ram. Sorry you are experiencing worsening pain. Was this a renewal of Tecfidera or a new medicine for you? If new, what were you on before? Like others, I have never heard of someone getting pain relief from a DMT.

                  Have you had any recent MRIs? If so, is there any mention of degenerative or other structural issues, something other than lesions? You may want to see PCP or an orthopedist to see if something other than MS is behind your pain.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Back pain

                    I have arthritis and degenerative discs in neck and back. I had a herniated disc in lumbar in June and had a microdiscectomy. I've taken butalbital-ASA-caffeine and meloxicam 7.5 mg and nothing helps. Baths, ibuprofen, patches, nothing.

                    Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                    Hi ram. Sorry you are experiencing worsening pain. Was this a renewal of Tecfidera or a new medicine for you? If new, what were you on before? Like others, I have never heard of someone getting pain relief from a DMT.

                    Have you had any recent MRIs? If so, is there any mention of degenerative or other structural issues, something other than lesions? You may want to see PCP or an orthopedist to see if something other than MS is behind your pain.
                    Sleep is difficult to come by, take it when you can

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi ram,

                      I'm so sorry to hear about your worsening back pain and the problems you are having with your neuro's office.

                      I also have back pain. Spasticity has been a major contributor to mine. Now I have arthritis of the spine, which isn't helping.

                      In regards to your Tecfidera, the purpose of Disease Modifying Therapies is to reduce the number of relapses, delay progression of disability, and limit new disease activity (as seen on MRI).
                      Other medications are used to manage MS relapses and symptoms like spasticity.

                      Originally posted by ram11273 View Post
                      I have arthritis and degenerative discs in neck and back. I had a herniated disc in lumbar in June and had a microdiscectomy. I've taken butalbital-ASA-caffeine and meloxicam 7.5 mg and nothing helps. Baths, ibuprofen, patches, nothing.
                      So sorry. It's possible you re-ruptured that disk.It sounds like a visit to back surgeon is needed .

                      I hope you find answers soon that will relieve back pain! And that your neuro's office has finally sent in the paperwork for your pre auth.

                      Please keep us updated.

                      Best wishes
                      Kimba

                      ďWhen you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.Ē ― Max Planck

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X