Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you let others know that you have to scale back?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How do you let others know that you have to scale back?

    I definitely need to take things slower than I used to. I'm not sure how to phrase it so that others don't think I'm making fake excuses. Oral, in-person communication has always been a challenge for me. So when I'm feeling guilty about saying no, it definitely comes across as faking. If I plan ahead and speak as if I'm speaking for someone else, I can do it calmly. But if it's a situation I didn't anticipate, guilt takes over. Then I smile -or worse! try to sound serious. Either option, though, I over-explain and repeat. It's a disaster.

    Do you have a go-to phrase or two that you use?

    #2
    Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
    I definitely need to take things slower than I used to. I'm not sure how to phrase it so that others don't think I'm making fake excuses. Oral, in-person communication has always been a challenge for me. So when I'm feeling guilty about saying no, it definitely comes across as faking. If I plan ahead and speak as if I'm speaking for someone else, I can do it calmly. But if it's a situation I didn't anticipate, guilt takes over. Then I smile -or worse! try to sound serious. Either option, though, I over-explain and repeat. It's a disaster.

    Do you have a go-to phrase or two that you use?
    Hi MMMMS

    The less 'trying to explain' that I do, the better it is!

    Simple and to the point - No, I'm just not up to it - thanks for asking/thinking of me.

    Take Care
    PPMS for 24 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

    Comment


      #3
      That is so simple. Why didn't I think of that! Let them ask if they want more info. You're smart. 🙂

      Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi MMMMS

      The less 'trying to explain' that I do, the better it is!

      Simple and to the point - No, I'm just not up to it - thanks for asking/thinking of me.

      Take Care

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
        That is so simple. Why didn't I think of that! Let them ask if they want more info. You're smart. 🙂
        If they ask for more info, no explaining is necessary - Sorry, I'm just not up to it.

        PS - I'm not all that smart, but had to learn about saying 'no' from a therapist.

        Take Care
        PPMS for 24 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

        Comment

        Working...
        X