Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is numbness a "sometimes" thing for some people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is numbness a "sometimes" thing for some people?

Can anyone explain the phenomenon of the unpredictable numbness in MS? All of a sudden I'm getting this again. Haven't noticed it in awhile, but lately... it's tickling my toes and feet again. What actually causes these occasional symptoms to flare up after a long absence?

I thought I understood this stuff at one time, but things are a little fuzzy for me now. Of course, it is holiday time and that always throws me into a spin cycle. Maybe I'm just too tired to remember the reasons for certain MS strangeness. Thanks.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Can anyone explain the phenomenon of the unpredictable numbness in MS? All of a sudden I'm getting this again. Haven't noticed it iledn awhile, but lately... it's tickling my toes and feet again. What actually causes these occasional symptoms to flare up after a long absence?

I thought I understood this stuff at one time, but things are a little fuzzy for me now. Of course, it is holiday time and that always throws me into a spin cycle. Maybe I'm just too tired to remember the reasons for certain MS strangeness. Thanks.
    Hi marti

Provided that you are not having a relapse, MS symptoms that come and go such as numbness, tingling, muscle spasms, weakness, etc. are called paroxysmal symptoms.

The cause of these symptoms are impaired nerve signals.

What causes paroxysmal symptoms?

Paroxysmal symptoms are due to sudden, inappropriate electrical signals in nerves that have already been damaged by MS. Attacks of paroxysmal symptoms are different from the seizures seen in epilepsy as the brain wave patterns are completely different although, confusingly, they may be treated with anti-epileptic drugs.

Paroxysmal symptoms can be triggered by movement, touch, fatigue, hyperventilation (breathing too quickly), temperature change or emotional stress.

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/parox...ysmal-symptoms

Hope this info helped.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X