Large Lesions Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Lesions Gone?

When I was diagnosed I had <1" lesion in the back of my brain and one in my spine that spanned three cervical vertebrae. All of these areas would present on MRIs as areas of signal abnormality for four years so I thought I was stuck with that since I read healing past two years probably wasn't going to happen (50% chance of lesions healing). I also had two small periventricular spots when I was dxed. My latest MRI is completely normal except for these two little spots! It's very random and the neuro told me that the one on my spine should cause me the most worry. One of the C verts has retrolisthesis, but this doesn't seem related to MS? Maybe a mild injury?

All my sx that didn't resolve in the first year are still around, like intermittent left leg weakness, upper chest pain, mood swings, and fatigue. I'm still working full time, did well on a promotional exam, doing freelance work, and bought a car. I worry entering my 4th decade of life because I've been reading about perimenopause triggering SP.

I have no explanation for your disappearing lesion.

I don't know if perimenopause triggers SPMS. Time does.

I'm also not exactly sure what you're asking. Maybe someone else will come along who can better speak to your concerns.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
      When I was diagnosed I had <1" lesion in the back of my brain and one in my spine that spanned three cervical vertebrae. All of these areas would present on MRIs as areas of signal abnormality for four years so I thought I was stuck with that since I read healing past two years probably wasn't going to happen (50% chance of lesions healing). I also had two small periventricular spots when I was dxed. My latest MRI is completely normal except for these two little spots! It's very random and the neuro told me that the one on my spine should cause me the most worry. One of the C verts has retrolisthesis, but this doesn't seem related to MS? Maybe a mild injury?

All my sx that didn't resolve in the first year are still around, like intermittent left leg weakness, upper chest pain, mood swings, and fatigue. I'm still working full time, did well on a promotional exam, doing freelance work, and bought a car. I worry entering my 4th decade of life because I've been reading about perimenopause triggering SP.
      Hi dyin_myelin ~

Recent research on MS lesions has discovered that disappearing or shrinking MS lesions is not necessarily due to remyelination and repair (sorry to have to say).

"When the lesions decrease over time, it’s not because the patient lesions are healing but because many of these lesions are disappearing, turning into cerebrospinal fluid.”

https://neurosciencenews.com/ms-brain-lesions-9240/

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...s-study-finds/

Hopefully your lesions have healed.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Check out the lesions on this stable patient-

http://www.msdiscovery.org/news/news...more-meets-eye

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hi dyin_myelin ~

Recent research on MS lesions has discovered that disappearing or shrinking MS lesions is not necessarily due to remyelination and repair (sorry to have to say).

"When the lesions decrease over time, it’s not because the patient lesions are healing but because many of these lesions are disappearing, turning into cerebrospinal fluid.”

https://neurosciencenews.com/ms-brain-lesions-9240/

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...s-study-finds/

Hopefully your lesions have healed.

Take Care
          Really fascinating. My brain lesions are the same, but largest of my spinal lesion shrunk some. I wonder if the same will hold true for spinal lesions?

Interestingly enough, when it was noted that one of my cervical lesions shrunk on my MRI, it coincided with a worsening of symptoms in my arms and increase in its weakness.

Here I was cheering the shrinkage!
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Really fascinating. My brain lesions are the same, but largest of my spinal lesion shrunk some. I wonder if the same will hold true for spinal lesions?

Interestingly enough, when it was noted that one of my cervical lesions shrunk on my MRI, it coincided with a worsening of symptoms in my arms and increase in its weakness.

Here I was cheering the shrinkage!
            It is fascinating to me too, Kathy.

MS research seems to march on at a faster pace lately. Some beliefs and theories become outdated before you know it!

Not sure about spinal lesion shrinkage either, as they seemed focused on the brain lesions for that study.

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciated the smoke detector analogy.
              DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
              - 2 Corinthians 4:16

Comment

Hello dyin myelin,

I recall reading a few years ago that people with spinal cord injury were 6 times more likely to get MS, however, I didn't follow-up and verify that info. But it has not been the only article I have come across suggesting a link between spinal cord trauma and MS.

I wouldn't worry about something triggering SPMS. MS is progressive from the start. It is one disease but with wholly artificial segregations (RRMS, SPMS, PPMS, etc.) that do more harm than good, IMO. Nor would I allow a neuro who designates patients as SPMS or PPMS to treat anyone I know. The reason is obvious... because once labeled SPMS or PPMS some insurance companies will not pay for an approved DMT only symptom management.

To me, it has become crystal clear that some of the existing DMTs ARE effective in slowing progression even in SPMS and PPMS so why limit access to DMTs by allowing a Neuro who doesn't know any better to label you that way and then have insurance refuse to pay for a DMT which can help you?

I rejoice with you about the your MRI report! You are stable disease-wise in addition to being one of my favorite people in all the world. I believe you will enjoy a very long and prosperous life full of joy and happiness. Best!

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

Hi Marco,

Thanks for posting that link. I've always, and still do, find it fascinating, especially
                  that the patient voluntarily submitted to 24 MRIs in a year but it explains so well
                  that any MRI is just a "snapshot" of a specific time in our disease process.

Comment

Working...
                  X