Ugh, Here Come the Lymies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, Here Come the Lymies

So, I took a peek at Selma Blair’s Instagram account and for the first 4-5 posts I was touched by both her fans support and her interaction with them. Then, the Lyme Parade showed up.

This may be more of a vent than anything else, but what is it with the “chronic Lyme” community? I swear, I’ve come across hundreds of comments from “Lymies” on MS posts who interject with their woo-woo scientific opinion that all MS is just misdiagnosed chronic Lyme disease.

It’s always the same diatribe. “MS is misdiagnosed Lyme!” “You need to find a Lyme literate doctor!’” “You have to have your blood work sent to a special lab because commercial labs can’t detect Lyme!”

Its so upsetting to read this because not only is chronic Lyme not proven to exist, but these labs and “Lyme literate doctors” cost patients hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash and insurance won’t cover cover it because it’s pseudoscience. I understand that some patients are desperate for answers for their ailments and I get that some fall prey due to desperation, but to try to convince someone with a real, diagnosed disease that they must have Lyme is terrible.

The “treatments” for chronic Lyme aren’t only insanely expensive, but they can be downright dangerous.

On the other side of the “celebrities with chronic diseases” you have people like Yolanda Foster touting this so-called disease and convincing people that she not only has it, but that they do too.

This type of “public service” is so harmful and it’s yet another reason we need to make sure MS is understood by those around us.
    “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

I have to agree with you on this one. I know this was one of the things my first neuro tested me for and because of all my Dr google time one of the things I thought maybe I had instead. I even had my PCP order a second test for it because of all the chronic Lyme disease people.

I knew that the chances of it being Lyme were probably 0.01% but hearing all the time about how this disease is really chronic Lyme can get old and frustrating.

I guess this just is more proof that people are clueless when it comes to anything related to this disease.

Comment

Obviously, Lyme disease is real, and both the symptoms and presentation can closely resemble MS. Some of the neurological symptoms can persist after treatment but that does not mean that the infection is “hiding in their organ tissues, destroying their body”.
      It just irks me to no end that there are “Chronic Lyme Warriors” out there that don’t even have Lyme disease, let alone some chronic variant of it. Then they’re peddling their ideas to others who are going through a very vulnerable time in their life.
      I sort of feel like they’re trying to piggyback off of other real diseases in a desperate attempt to justify their own fake disease.
      It’s just gross.
      “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Working...
      X