Selma Blair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selma Blair

My computer newsfeed said actress Selma Blair announced she has Multiple Sclerosis. It is true I had to Google who she was, but I appreciate any celebrity who opens up about their diagnosis.
    Tawanda

She was in cruel intentions , hell boy , Anger management , and a whole bunch of other things. These are just the ones I know of the top of my head.

I did not know she had this. Was this A recent announcement? I have mixed feelings about anyone being open about this, but I do kind of appreciate celebrieties who are open because I can see how they are doing health wise. Although I know they have access to way better doctors than I could dream about seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
      She was in cruel intentions , hell boy , Anger management , and a whole bunch of other things. These are just the ones I know of the top of my head.

I did not know she had this. Was this A recent announcement? I have mixed feelings about anyone being open about this, but I do kind of appreciate celebrieties who are open because I can see how they are doing health wise. Although I know they have access to way better doctors than I could dream about seeing.

What is wrong beeing open about it? by th way,2 years ago Jamie Lynn Siegler said she has had MS for 15 year,but kept it a secret all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Medina89 View Post
        What is wrong beeing open about it? by th way,2 years ago Jamie Lynn Siegler said she has had MS for 15 year,but kept it a secret all the time

It is just my own personal opinion but I do not like people being open about it because

1. This disease is on my mind every second of every day. I do not need things that are going to remind me about it more.

2. Reading about how Selma talks about it is depressing to me. TO ME she makes it sound as if she is already on the downhill side of this disease.

3. For us regular people we can never be open about it like celebrities. We would be judged and secretly talked about behind our back about how we are "defective" and "disabled"

Comment

3. For us regular people we can never be open about it like celebrities. We would be judged and secretly talked about behind our back about how we are "defective" and "disabled"
          Sorry you feel this way. Defective is definitely not a word most people use. It is one you choose to use.

Even disabled, that was not my experience at all at work once I finally disclosed to my colleagues. And I know that is the case, as I had a few good friends who were open about what was being said in discussions. Because I communicated it matter of factly, showed no self pity, and openly discussed how it impacted me and what I was doing to ensure it didn't impact our work product as a team, I was treated no differently.

It wasn't until I decided to file for disability that the word disabled actually came out, and it was from me.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Sorry you feel this way. Defective is definitely not a word most people use. It is one you choose to use.

Even disabled, that was not my experience at all at work once I finally disclosed to my colleagues. And I know that is the case, as I had a few good friends who were open about what was being said in discussions. Because I communicated it matter of factly, showed no self pity, and openly discussed how it impacted me and what I was doing to ensure it didn't impact our work product as a team, I was treated no differently.

It wasn't until I decided to file for disability that the word disabled actually came out, and it was from me.
            My problem is that for me my job is either I am 100% able to do it or any amount of disability I have to retire. I can't tell my co workers because well half of the people I work with are immature petty little children and they would talk about me. They made fun of a coworker who had a very mild stroke when she called in sick the next week. They said she was being dramatic and using her stroke as an excuse to avoid work.

And I guess I use the word defective because I am not like a normal person. My body is basically attacking itself and to me that is not normal. I am sure there is a better word but that is one that to me fits with how this disease makes me feel.

Comment

For us regular people we can never be open about it like celebrities. We would be judged and secretly talked about behind our back about how we are "defective" and "disabled"
              I am one of those "regular people" who have MS. I don't imagine that people talk about me secretly behind my back and call me defective. If they do, that reflects more negatively on them that it does on me.

If they call me disabled, oh well. I have a disability. That's just truth and reality.

I can't imagine not being open about it. It seems like hiding it would add a lot of stress and anxiety to your life, Daisycat.

If your friends and acquaintances are that mean and judgmental, maybe it's time to seek and nurture new friendships.

I experience only genuine caring and helpfulness from others. Those who know me, and strangers.

Perhaps the difference is not in the people we know, but in our perceptions.

When I try to put myself in your stressful shoes, Daisy, I'd much rather be me, with 17 years of MS, 9 years on disability, an openness regarding my MS, and using a cane, because I have hope, a positive perspective and caring people in my life.

It appears that your life, with current good health and a full time career is more difficult than mine is. Your negativity and your view of your future and of others in the world seem to be much more disabling to you than my MS is to me.

Daisycat, I'm glad that you've been finding some gratitudes. I am hopeful that your negative perspectives will change as you begin to notice and identify your blessings.

I continue to encourage therapy for you to help you to find a healthy way to cope and to teach you some resilience skills.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                My computer newsfeed said actress Selma Blair announced she has Multiple Sclerosis. It is true I had to Google who she was, but I appreciate any celebrity who opens up about their diagnosis.
                I also appreciate those who are open. Being secretive about MS just seems to indicate denial. Being open can be a step on educating the public about MS and dispelling myths.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  I also appreciate those who are open. Being secretive about MS just seems to indicate denial. Being open can be a step on educating the public about MS and dispelling myths.
                  My first thought, what sad news, but I also appreciate her openness especially in Hollywood where so much is based on the illusion of perfection.

Unfortunately for many of us it isn't practical to disclose while we are attempting to continue with our careers. I'm not going to disclose until its obvious and depending on the presentation I will likely retire early. I have been blessed to make a good living and since my MS diagnosis I have worked enough to basically have made as much as I would have if I hadn't gone back to school or worked the overtime. So my lifetime gross income at this point is probably about what it would have been if MS never came into my life and I hadn't made the changes and retired at 62-65.

Unlike Daisycat my career has flexibility with regard to how physical you have to be but I also need to be mentally sharp. I suspect my cognition will suffer if for no other reason than losing my self-confidence and edge but that is just my personal take on my situation.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

The people, who I work with, who are like this are not even close to what I would consider a friend. However since we work together we have to be friendly with each other and at least play nice while we are at work. Not everyone is like this and I notice the age of the person has a big role in how they act.

I honestly can’t imagine being open about this to people. I do not know why I am so ashamed about it. I have tried to figure out what exactly about it is making me feel this way and I can come up with a few things, but maybe it is just all of them together are doing it.

If I have to call my Dr or the company to refill my meds and I am anywhere where someone can hear me ( work , the gym , the store , even walking outside my apartment) I have to ask them to hold on until I get somewhere private. For my medication delivery I only let them deliver it on a day I will be home so I can get the box in ASAP.

The few select few who do know about this aren’t exactly “supportive”. I know I have said this before but my mom just tells me to pray , my boyfriend is in denial because he always says we will deal with it if it ever gets bad , but he won’t talk to me about what “dealing with it means”. I am also one of those people who refuse to ask for help because it makes me feel like I am showing weakness. (I was this way before this disease)

I would give anything to have hope and maybe after talking with my new neuro I will. Right now I am worried that each day will be my last “good day”. I think that is why I was so upset that the dachshund races were cancelled. I want my dog to win one at least once in her life, and I do not know if I will be able to even take her next year to race. That and I planned my entire vacation around this and both of the events were cancelled so that was frustrating.

I am trying to find gratitudes although some days are a lot harder than others.

And I did read what Selma said about this and to me it just reinforced the "public" view of this as a disease that causes people to not to be able to function normally. I am probably taking the things she said out of context but some of the things she said was still upsetting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      Unlike Daisycat my career has flexibility with regard to how physical you have to be but I also need to be mentally sharp. I suspect my cognition will suffer if for no other reason than losing my self-confidence and edge but that is just my personal take on my situation.

This right here explains my biggest fear about this disease. My job has no way to make any accommodation for me. Any amount of disability no matter how mild means I have to retire and go on disability.

Comment

Personally, I am thankful for celebrities who come forward with this for a few reasons:

- I think it's important to bring attention to the disease. Look at how much attention is paid to cancer. It is a god awful disease but due to all of the cancer awareness that has happened in the past, it has turned cancer into a "privileged disease". Privileged in terms of funding for a cure, aggressive symptom management, access to pain management and so forth.

- Since our culture is so celebrity obsessed, this will help bring awareness as curious people will read about a famous person having MS well before they would ever read an article about MS in general. If it takes a celebrity coming forward to spark an interest, so be it.

- The more people read and understand, the more understanding they will be towards the people they personally know with the disease. This can help to dispel so much misinformation that is out there and we can personally benefit from that.

- When people see celebrities that are not completely incapacitated, it dispels the myth that every one of us will end up like Annette Funicello. Her public battle with MS has left a lasting impression on so many people and they believe that we will all eventually be as bad off as she was.

The way Selma talked about it was not depressing. She was honest about the fact that she is currently relapsing and she gave a well deserved shout out to the people who are currently supporting her while giving real examples of how they have helped. So many people want to know how they can help someone with this disease and for her, at this moment, it is simply having someone to help her get dressed.

She also said that she could use assistance on the street if she drops stuff because it is really difficult for her at times. Kudos to her for admitting that sometimes she needs help. If it's hard enough for us "regular, non-celebrity" types to ask for and accept help, how hard must it have been for her to admit that to the entire world? She does not make us with MS look weak, "defective" or "disabled". She is helping people to understand a neurological disease that affects so many.

Other celebrities such as Jack Osbourne have made it their mission to bring real, meaningful awareness to this disease. He doesn't have to do any of this. He could be treated by all of those "special doctors us regular people don't have access to" and gone about his business. Instead, he made MS his business.

We also have Jamie Lynn Sigler who hid her disease for 15 years. That is just so sad that she felt she had to hide it for a decade and a half. What a lonely and terrifying thing to go through. She is now working to bring awareness to the disease and I view her coming forward as a completely selfless act.

When celebrities disclose their own diagnosis, and not because they have no way to hide it, they are not doing it for themselves. They have very little to gain and a lot to lose. They are doing it for the entire Multiple Sclerosis community and for that, I am grateful.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
                        Last edited by Mamabug; 10-21-2018, 10:18 PM.
                        “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Well said, Intodust and I agree!
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Into dust
                            I do get what you are saying, but just because someone is made aware of a disease doesn’t always mean they will read and know the most reliable information. For me it makes me afraid that my PM will read about it and think I am a liability if I become like that.

Some people are going to read what she wrote and think that is how she is all the time every day. I get why she felt the need to tell people about this, but I also see the harm this can cause to some people. Some people are ignorant and are going to think what she said describes what she is like 24/7 and they aren’t going to bother to learn anything else.

Comment

I visited a new church today. The message was called “The Label Maker,” and it was about how we all carry around these labels that OTHER PEOPLE give us. Better yet— it was about how WE ACCEPT these labels from other people. However, there’s no need in it. Religious or not, the message was simple: it doesn’t matter what label others put on you as long as you know who you are. It spoke to me in a big way, and now I feel the need to just put this out here.

With that said, there are some derogatory terms being thrown around and I think sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between “my” disease and “your” disease, and often this just becomes “OUR disease.”

As Phil Dunphy sang on Modern Family, “We’re all in this together!” (Haha!) And while I don’t believe we would ever call one another “defective,” sometimes that’s how it feels when you refer to yourself this way, Daisycat. We know it isn’t true. I know it’s a label you’re carrying around but I do hope one day you will see that it isn’t a respectful one and doesn’t come from a place of love.

Just my two cents,
                              smalltowngirl
                              DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
                              - 2 Corinthians 4:16

Comment

Working...
                              X