Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)

Ok ladies of a certain age. This menopause thing is really getting on my nerves. And the truth be told its more that I look like a doughy faced troll than any hot flash or sleep disturbance. My girlfriends who are on HRT look 10 years younger.

What if anything has your doctors said about the pros/cons. The research I've found doesn't seem to support HRT for an improvement in MS although it has been noted MS symptoms can be worse in menopause and we know usually better during pregnancy so I wonder if I could justify the risks by considering the possible benefits to MS also?

I briefly discussed last year with my gyn who wasn't in favor based on my lack of whining about hot flashes and considering an increase in stroke and cancer risk but I'm not sure I'm all that concerned about those things. I'm officially in menopause as of this month. I don't have any intention of living an extra long life and anything sounds better to me at this point than dying from complications of MS.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

It's such a conundrum. The benefits some people have from HRT really make it tempting, and there is no single answer depending on your situation and history. My OB was ready to lay that stuff on me at the drop of a hat, so there's the old switch your doctor angle.

One thing I can seriously suggest is a book called "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christiane Northrup. Her chapter on diet is super excellent and I feel it helped. Some very simple changes reduced the hot flashes and helped with general energy and focus.

I followed a couple of her threads - namely to cut back on alcohol because it messes with your hypothalmus, take magnesium regularly, and keep regular sleep hours. My menopause hasn't been awesome but it hasn't been a nightmare. In the looks department, things are changing but I have good days and bad days. Sigh!

Throughout menopause I did not have MS symptoms that I can pinpoint as being exactly those. Although I have had neuritis pain off and on (now that I know what it feels like) I don't know exactly when the bilateral uveitis changed into optic neuritis, but other than some tolerable back pain and possible neuritis pain, there were no major symptoms happening during the menopause years.

hey, good luck. I'll be following your thread!
    All the best, ~G

Comment

I've been post menopausal for years now, but when I was going through the change I was seeing a naturopathic Dr. She recommended bioidentical hormone therapy instead of synthetic. I was going to give it a try, but I had a horrible MS flare during that time (which finally,after years, led to my dx).

I had bigger and more challenging battles to fight and I never did go on any treatment for menopause. To combat hot flashes I used a product called Remifemin (pill)- good for hot flashes, mood swngs and irritability. The main ingredient is black cohosh. It was safe and I had no side effects and it really helped keep some of these sx at bay.

Can you imagine what it felt like to get a bad 3 months long flare and a dx while going through menopause?
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I went on hormone replacement after a hysterectomy. After many years I developed breast cancer from the estrogen. It was caught early and I was lucky to just have a lumpectomy. Since then I have had terrible hot flashes with no end in sight.

Comment

I knew I'd get excellent answers! Thank you all.

Gargantua, I will definitely get The Wisdom of Menopause book. Supplements are probably going to be the most reasonable option to at least trial first.

Seasha the bioidenticals were recommended by several friends but they aren't FDA approved which makes me nervous. Since I have uterus it looks like I'd have to do progesterone and estrogen. One friend is using the vaginal cream Estradiol and swears by it. She looks amazing but has wonderful olive skin which holds up better than those of us who are fair skinned to begin with so not sure if its the magic cream or just good genes. And no I can not imagine having menopause and a major flare at the same time you are a trooper.

Loopey that sounds awful hope it passes quickly.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Menopause signifies that single moment in time when you have officially gone 12 months with no sign of any menstruation or spotting. After that single moment it's then called postmenopausal. I am not being condescending I just found "menopause" anticlimactic

I had read several books on Perimenopause and Menopause including The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup. All were excellent and I did many of the suggestions on diet, exercise, OTC Progesterone Cream/Estrogen cream and supplements.

I thought I was doing really well with all of this in place. HA! I hit that magical moment in time (menopause) and within a few weeks nothing was helping with sexual issues and where I had never had much for hot flashes they became horrible and unbearable. AND my mood was out of control.

I saw my Gynecologist and she suggested it might be worth trying HRT. I have been on HRT for 8 months and feel so much better. I was put on a "mid-level" of HRT and next year she would like to take me down to a lower level. She does stress to not miss a mammogram and required I get one before starting the HRT. I use vaginal and pill form HRT.

Jules A, I am 57 and hit menopause at 56
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              Menopause signifies that single moment in time when you have officially gone 12 months with no sign of any menstruation or spotting. After that single moment it's then called postmenopausal. I am not being condescending I just found "menopause" anticlimactic

I had read several books on Perimenopause and Menopause including The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup. All were excellent and I did many of the suggestions on diet, exercise, OTC Progesterone Cream/Estrogen cream and supplements.

I thought I was doing really well with all of this in place. HA! I hit that magical moment in time (menopause) and within a few weeks nothing was helping with sexual issues and where I had never had much for hot flashes they became horrible and unbearable. AND my mood was out of control.

I saw my Gynecologist and she suggested it might be worth trying HRT. I have been on HRT for 8 months and feel so much better. I was put on a "mid-level" of HRT and next year she would like to take me down to a lower level. She does stress to not miss a mammogram and required I get one before starting the HRT. I use vaginal and pill form HRT.

Jules A, I am 57 and hit menopause at 56
              Thanks Snoopy, I'm glad to hear you have gotten relief. This is officially the 12th month so here I be. I started getting minimal hot flashes about 6 months ago. I thought 53 was late but can't imagine if had still been dealing with menses at 55. That has been the silver lining in this cloud.
              Anonymous

Comment

Went through zee change in one year- no flashes after that- without interventions. I did buy lots of pjs at the thrift store so I could have a new set every nite of the week.

Have been using the estradiol cream for a couple of years and it really helps. It is very low dose and I donīt worry about the risks that come with the pills. There is now a generic version of the cream so the price is much more reasonable. The NYTimes ran an article about estrace and its "cousins" in the last year- worth reading. They should be advertising Estrace on the signs in buses and subway cars

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                  Went through zee change in one year- no flashes after that- without interventions. I did buy lots of pjs at the thrift store so I could have a new set every nite of the week.

Have been using the estradiol cream for a couple of years and it really helps. It is very low dose and I donīt worry about the risks that come with the pills. There is now a generic version of the cream so the price is much more reasonable. The NYTimes ran an article about estrace and its "cousins" in the last year- worth reading. They should be advertising Estrace on the signs in buses and subway cars
                  Thanks for the info! I haven't looked into the risks of the cream so good to know they are reduced.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
                    I went on hormone replacement after a hysterectomy. After many years I developed breast cancer from the estrogen. It was caught early and I was lucky to just have a lumpectomy. Since then I have had terrible hot flashes with no end in sight.

I went on HRT also after a complete hysterectomy. I stuck with it for several years then quit with the doctor's approval. It still worries me that now I don't have any hormones... a natural substance that we should all have. But I'm not sure about that either. I never had breast cancer, but have had a lot of breast pain. My mammograms show some other stuff... fibroids or something. And Fibromyalgia can and does also cause breast pain. I'm not really up on all of this, but I'd like some reassurance too. All I remember is all the controversy about HRT.
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      Thanks for the info! I haven't looked into the risks of the cream so good to know they are reduced.
                      I still remember my menopause experience like it was yesterday. My mom had gone through early menopause just as HRT arrived on the scene, and she decided to weather her experience "cold turkey". I heard that my menopause symptoms would be similar to hers, and they were, but like her, I thought I'd also do it "cold turkey".

I had just transitioned from teaching 7-8th graders to kindergarteners, and I was miserable! I woke up nights in a cold sweat with drenched pajamas and no sleep. They I would be on recess duty and have a hot flash; I was miserable. This was all pre MS.

I was a walking mess when I saw the nurse practitioner at my next OB-GYN appointment, and she made me realize that lack of sleep can be far deadlier to your health that a few estrogen pills. She offered me samples of the three available dosages, and I quickly found I needed the highest dosage to get rid of the night sweats. Over the course of 6 months, I quickly found the lowest dosage was enough, and I remained there for 12 years. The dose is so low my OB-GYN said I could stay on it indefinitely if I wanted. I am eternally grateful to the NP for convincing me that HRT can be controlled and not harm your health; I ended my career with no symptoms. I actually quit cold turkey, and it was tolerable.

Comment

Thanks Ladies! This is very helpful. The sleep thing is getting on my nerves. Historically I am an excellent sleeper with a predictable number of hours even in spite of getting up at least 4 times to pee, thanks MS.

However I recently started waking up around 4am, not even having to use the bathroom, no temperature discomfort or even anxious thoughts...just wide awake. I'm up for over an hour, fall back asleep but then have difficulty waking up at my usual time. I'm going to discuss with my gyn.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                        X