Hoping to provide encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping to provide encouragement

I haven't posted in quite a while, but want to share some encouraging information.

Here's the background - too long but as I haven't been on Msworld for a while some may find it interesting.

I had my first MS event on Jan 1, 2000 and have been on DMDs since April 2000 - Copaxone, interfereons, Novantrone, Tysabri, Gilenya, Tysabri, and now it has been a year since my first Ocrevus infusion - in less than a week I'll get the third

I have left foot drop, a weak left leg, a lousy sense of balance, use forearm crutches, and when I have to urinate have to get to the bathroom in a hurry or ...

I'm male, well educated, employed constantly since 1971 until 2010 when my employer decided to gut the group I was working in. When I remember being laid off I thank the then CEO who caused it. I had enough symptoms, detailed medical records, and was able to receive both Long Term Disability insurance I bought through my employer, and was approved for SSDI on my first try.

Perhaps because of the meds, or because I'm fortunate, my progression has been minimal.

About two years ago I posted my desire to walk better, I've been using forearm canes at times, a scooter for longer trips, and far too often a scooter indoors. I exercise lightly, trying for three weekly 40 minute periods on an indoor recumbent bicycle.

At the direction of a bright PT I've been doing a variety of exercises for lower back muscular pain, neck stiffness, and getting up from a chair.

Both my wife and I have been saving since childhood, both well educated and I was somehow able to convince employers to hire me - in my case I continue to wonder why my managers didn't fire me after a my first years. We met online in 2011 and have been together ever since.

Here's the encouraging part

My wife loves to travel and we can afford it, having decided "we aren't graduate students" - the children are doing well - we just returned from ten days in SW France. The apartment we rented had a few steps from the street, the apartment was small so I had to use my crutches indoors.

By the halfway point of our stay my walking had improved, my left leg stronger, when I'm rested I can compensate for the foot drop by lifting the leg from my hip. I use a Walkaide but find it works well most of the time, but sometimes is useless.

Coming home this couch potato was so excited about getting stronger I'm using the forearm canes more and more indoors and around the house and its terrace, and when going to lunch.

My wife (very very smart, very caring, sometimes very observant) tells me I am walking better than when I met her seven years ago. She adds that my spirit is better since starting Ocrevus.

Summary

Between Ocrevus, exercise, and being well loved I'm doing better than I could have imagined.

I hope some readers will find some encouragement.

You have definitely succeeded in the encouragement department. Wonderful to hear your news. Expecting to hear more of the same soon.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMSer View Post
      Between Ocrevus, exercise, and being well loved I'm doing better than I could have imagined.

I hope some readers will find some encouragement.
      Good news is always welcome. Thank you for sharing your story!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I love this encouraging news, so keep on doing what you're doing! Glad your wife is right there with you - you are a lucky man
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for sharing, GardeningMSer.

Glad to know that you're doing well and living a good life!

Wishing you continued health and happiness.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes it’s very encouraging Thank you for this.
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Glad to see an update from you GardeningMSer. Thanks for sharing your good news.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X