For Daisycat and all those struggling to come to terms with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Daisycat and all those struggling to come to terms with MS

I didn't want this to get lost on page 12 of another post.

Yesterday was my 21st Anniversary. My husband gave me the most thoughtful gift. It's a book by Maya Angelou called, "Life Doesn't Frighten Me". It's a childrens book, but with a very powerful message. It got me thinking about where I'd be if I gave up the 1st time something bad happened to me.

Since my husband and I met, 23 years ago, we have been through some tough times, but we've never given up.

Car Accident where I was hurt pretty severely, endometriosis (with 2 laporoscopies to burn out scar tissue), overian cyst removed, infertility, adoption, husband lost his job, husband had tumor removed from his lung, son's autism diagnosis (3 weeks after my MS diagnosis), my father's death, my mother in law's death, coping with childhood mental and physical abuse. I'm sure there's more. Through all of it, my husband has stood by my side, by his own choice.

The reason for this post is to say, "I'm still here." and "Life's not over when something bad happens". I'm not cursed. This is not hell. This is life. No one is immune to tragedy and difficult times. Don't give up. There's still a lot of life to be lived.

Love and peace to each of you. We are lucky to have eachother.

Hi Kittysmith,

Appreciate your thread! I tried to put a list together, like you did, of the things that were "bad" when they happened.

What I discovered was the bad or unexpected events actually proved positive as I matured.

Been at it now pushing 7 decades (maturing that is) regardless of events. Regardless of twenty plus years with MS.

Could even say that at times I now experience joy! not simple finite happiness!

Thanks again Kitty.

Jer

Comment

Yep, life is full of surprises. Guess it really is like a Box of Chocolates!!

As for Daisycat, I hope she finds the comfort she needs. At the start of her post I truly wanted to be of some help to her... just some encouragement. But it didn't take long to see she was having none of it. But by the later posts I think she was feeling a little bit better. I have no problem with planning for the end, but she seems so far from the end that I felt she was just wasting precious time on the negatives. And I really never understood the "humiliation" she talked about. But, I don't know her. Maybe she has a reason to feel that way.

I'm sorry to say that I quit feeling anything for her except frustration because I couldn't say anything to help her to see that she might not ever have to face the kind of "end" she so eagerly looked forward to. With all the new treatments and the fact that she has not experienced a lot of symptoms ( I don't think she is disabled at this time ) she should have hope.

Anyway, thanks for your upbeat post. Keep on keeping on. It's been a hard year for me too. But, things are beginning to look up.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Jer and Marti

It gets frustrating when we know you can absolutely live a full, happy life with MS. It is definitely not the worst thing that has ever happened to me. When I was 1st diagnosed, my mom said, "Why does my daughter have to have this"? She's a bit on the melodramatic side, Lol. But my answer was, "Why not me"? Should someone else get it instead of me? It just happens. "Why me" gets you nowhere. If MS is the worst thing that ever happens to be, I'll take it!

Comment

Kittysmith,
          Happy Happy Anniversary!
          Thank you for putting in words the trial and triumphs of life. No person on earth has had one without the other. You have certainly have had many of each. Your post gives many the encouragement to live a fulfilling life that really matters (with ms or not)

Comment

How encouraging to hear, Kittysmith, and thank you for drawing attention to what life in general is all about. There will be peaks and valleys, but we, as MSers, are warriors on this human path.

Happy Anniversary and thanks for sharing!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

kittysmith

Wonderful post!

Thank you for sharing your story.

Hope you have a terrific anniversary, and many more!

Take Care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

thank you

Thank you all for my "Happy Anniversary" wishes. I could not have found a better partner to spend the rest of my life with. He is an exceptional husband and father.

Autism has probably been the one thing that has changed my life the most. We adopted our son as a newborn. I was able to watch his birth. I was the 1st one to hold him and the 1st one to feed him. I was never bitter about infertility. My husband and his brother are both adopted, so it was an easy decision. More importantly, I was never angry that he has autism. Never felt cheated or punished by the universe. Things happen. He has enriched our lives beyond measure. I am a better person for having raised him.

Life can be fulfilling, but you have to accept the bumps on the way. Just bumps, not roadblocks.

Thanks, guys, for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
                  Autism has probably been the one thing that has changed my life the most. We adopted our son as a newborn. I was able to watch his birth. I was the 1st one to hold him and the 1st one to feed him. I was never bitter about infertility. My husband and his brother are both adopted, so it was an easy decision. More importantly, I was never angry that he has autism. Never felt cheated or punished by the universe. Things happen. He has enriched our lives beyond measure. I am a better person for having raised him.
                  kittysmith

Heartwarming account! You have my admiration.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you Kitty (and everyone else) for your encouragement. It really does mean a lot... even if it seems as if I am not listening. I promise it has helped in some ways.

Comment

So glad to hear from you, Daisycat

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                      Thank you Kitty (and everyone else) for your encouragement. It really does mean a lot... even if it seems as if I am not listening. I promise it has helped in some ways.
                      Daisycat, I am so glad you responded! You have been on my mind since I 1st started reading your posts. MS sucks, but I just can't give up as long as I feel good (ish). Some good days. Some bad days. In the end, it's just another day.

You seem like a really amazing, interesting person. I look forward to getting to know you on this board. My favorite childhood cat's name was Daisey. I was in 3rd grade. My parents told me I had spelled Daisy wrong. I told them, I didn't care. I insisted on keeping the "e". That darned cat lived to be 19!

Don't stop posting. I really hope you'll stay with us.

Take care.

Comment

Thank you Kittysmith. I think daisy (no matter how you spell it is an amazing name for a pet..) (May be biased here) and I’m glad you got to have such a long time with your kitty.

Comment

Thanks, Kitty, for the positive thread!
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

So happy!

Daisycat (Now I must resist the temptation to spell Daisy with an "e") Lol.

I am so proud of you. You may still feel down, but you have made giant steps. I'm excited for your future. I hope you will accept my virtual hug (((❤))) and a virtual high five ✋. Wish I could give them to you in person.

Take care, Daisycat. I look forward to more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
                              Daisycat (Now I must resist the temptation to spell Daisy with an "e") Lol.

I am so proud of you. You may still feel down, but you have made giant steps. I'm excited for your future. I hope you will accept my virtual hug (((❤))) and a virtual high five ✋. Wish I could give them to you in person.

Take care, Daisycat. I look forward to more posts from you.

Thank you Kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X