Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Hi all

Does anyone have the opinion that it (having a "Like" button to use) would in any way reduce the number of posts or discussions at all?

Looking forward to your opinions on this.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by trevvian View Post
      Yeah, this is a case in point. I could have liked this post, to indicate "yep, my experience on other boards is similar," rather than adding a post that says nothing really new.

It depends on the makeup of the board, but a lot of the time it's a way to celebrate. "I had a new grandbaby!!!" may garner 80 likes, rather than just 25 posts saying "congrats."

Well-said supportive posts get lots of likes too. It's pretty rare to see a Like duel.

I rarely comment, but ya'll would know I were reading your posts if I could like them.
      You reminded me that I often like a comments and then also add my own too. I would have liked this and also commented.

The "I had a new grandbaby" threads are definitely something I'd rather "like" and rarely post on anyway.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi all

Does anyone have the opinion that it (having a "Like" button to use) would in any way reduce the number of posts or discussions at all?

Looking forward to your opinions on this.
      I don't see how it would reduce the number of total discussions and wonder in the world of "click bait" if likes would add to the advertising stats? In the interest of providing data, lol, below are my copied/pasted numbers from another board. Although really I suppose the only thing it proves is that I'm a blabber mouth.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        You reminded me that I often like a comments and then also add my own too. I would have liked this and also commented.

The "I had a new grandbaby" threads are definitely something I'd rather "like" and rarely post on anyway.

I don't see how it would reduce the number of total discussions and wonder in the world of "click bait" if likes would add to the advertising stats? In the interest of providing data, lol, below are my copied/pasted numbers from another board. Although really I suppose the only thing it proves is that I'm a blabber mouth.

Thanks Jules.

Was curious as to whether choosing a like button might replace someone commenting about a post, and discussing why they liked it.

But you made me realize that they can do both!

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks Jules.

Was curious as to whether choosing a like button might replace someone commenting about a post, and discussing why they liked it.

But you made me realize that they can do both!

Take Care
          As most often the case, not my original idea, lol. Thanks to Trevvian!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

MSWorld could add a "like" button on a trial basis and see what happens, then re-evaluate continuing the Like feature or discontinuing.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              MSWorld could add a "like" button on a trial basis and see what happens, then re-evaluate continuing the Like feature or discontinuing.
              Thanks SNOOPY!

Didn't even think of having a trial basis for using the "like" button - it makes perfect sense.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post

Thanks SNOOPY!

Didn't even think of having a trial basis for using the "like" button - it makes perfect sense.

Take Care
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                  Excellent point but I haven't found that to be the case at the other message boards I visit. For me its more about indicating I agree and didn't feel the need to reiterate the exact same comment. If I don't agree 100% I don't "like" something and will either add my two cents or skip the thread.

Perhaps it is divisive to suggest that members are thinking "look how many agree with me"?

I do like knowing my posts that I took the time have been read and appreciated by peers. Its also interesting to see those I agree with on some things, not on others etc. I especially enjoy "liking" someone who I tend to disagree with when they say something I think is good.

I don't think its about counting the number of people who agree with me nor do I believe that because others agree with my opinion that means it is correct, as most opinions are really just that an opinion, but more that we happen to share that particular view.
                  Hi Jules,

Guess it's a personal thing with me. I can see myself getting a "Big Head" if "likes" pile up... and honestly don't like the feeling it gives me. Striving towards humility and ditching any source of pride is more my way of thinking, probably MY problem too!

And the "divisive" comment I made was just me thinking that there may be others adversely influenced by popularity... .

Can anyone else here disagree with thinking..."A" and "B" and "D" always think this way! Honestly I have seen patterns of thinking among members but making it simpler by a "like" button?

Yes, I understand that you can like and comment but taking the time to say "I agree with "A" and then cobbling words together to express yourself... isn't this preferable? Isn't this real communication?

"Opinions... their most universal quality is diversity" -Montaigne

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    Yes, I understand that you can like and comment but taking the time to say "I agree with "A" and then cobbling words together to express yourself... isn't this preferable? Isn't this real communication?
                    Jer ~ This is what I was pondering - that we might lose some communication and expression of viewpoints that a "like" button might take away.

On the other hand, members who (for one reason or another) only "lurk" - the use of a "like" button would give them an opportunity to contribute, and the feeling that they are part of the group too.

Take Care

Comment

Jer ~ This is what I was pondering - that we might lose some communication and expression of viewpoints that a "like" button might take away.

On the other hand, members who (for one reason or another) only "lurk" - the use of a "like" button would give them an opportunity to contribute, and the feeling that they are part of the group too.

Take Care
                      KoKo,

Your "lurking" comment is a good one! A real plus giving someone an opportunity to do the least of things may lead to their actually submitting a post or starting a thread.

I'm with Snoopy (trial basis) and gotta love Jules "click-bait" chuckle!

Let us know what you mods decide!

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                        KoKo,

Your "lurking" comment is a good one! A real plus giving someone an opportunity to do the least of things may lead to their actually submitting a post or starting a thread.

I'm with Snoopy (trial basis) and gotta love Jules "click-bait" chuckle!

Let us know what you mods decide!

Jer
                        Thanks Jer

Always enjoy your candid feedback!

Take Care

Comment

Well, my friends, I got word that there will be a "like" button coming up when they do the next upgrade here. I don't know when that will be, but it will be an added feature, "like" it or not.

I'm sure there will be more news coming when that time approaches.
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                            Well, my friends, I got word that there will be a "like" button coming up when they do the next upgrade here. I don't know when that will be, but it will be an added feature, "like" it or not.

See that's the kind of post I would like.

Acknowledging I saw it and appreciate the post to let us know. Not say, "Wow I really agree with this. Seasha should be proud!"

Not to passively denigrate all the other mods who did NOT follow up on this and post.

Also:
                            If I'm on my phone, posting can be a PITA an this board, but liking a post can be supportive of others.

Like the great post earlier from the guy who's in a great place & wants to be encouraging. I have nothing to add, but I appreciate the post!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Thanks Seasha, for letting us know!

Comment

Originally posted by trevvian View Post
                                See that's the kind of post I would like.
                                Me too! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion!

Loved this, Jer:
                                "Opinions... their most universal quality is diversity" -Montaigne
                                Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X