Do I exercise or skip the night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I exercise or skip the night?

My legs have gotten weaker and more spastic - actually it seems like since I started Aubagio. Opinions? But a different question. I am trying to strengthen them with my recumbent bike and my treadmill. Alternating nights. One ride, one walk. Today for example my legs are really tired. Should I skip or press on?

Carolyn hi, I think Listen to your body.I think over time your legs will get stronger.I have a recumbent bik also,doing same thing.Good luck to you.I also take aubagio no problems.

Comment

Carolynj,

Agree that you should listen to your body as Carlyle stated.

Did discover that there were days I put in a session at the gym, arrived feeling like "road kill" and departed feeling better for having went (cardio / legs - elliptical, bike, stairs or treadmill). My body "lies" to me. Sometimes telling me I cannot do something and then when I attempt the task... I can do i. And feel better for it.

In general, for me anyhow, this is the current zeitgeist. However there are occasions that gathering / saving spoons makes sense.

But, exercise is the way to go, keep at it!

Comment

When I read the articles about exercise in MS publications or on the Internet I get a little disturbed. Those magazines always show us these picture perfect situations, people enjoying themselves, running circles around everyone, staying active etc. I am all for moving... keeping things "oiled and moving", but I am 68 years old and in pain every day of my life. I just can't push myself to the limits anymore. I walk around my house all the time... almost a compulsion .... find it hard to stay still. But it doesn't help the pain. Maybe it keeps me active to a point. I have several health issues which cause pain and a general sick feeling. I have to juggle meds to compliment every illness and keep the meds from fighting with each other. And Yes, sometimes I over do it and force myself to do the things around the house and yard that need to be done. I hate to ask for help all the time. I know 68 isn't exactly old, but I sure feel it sometimes.

Anyway, I say... give yourself breaks... do what you can... don't kill yourself with excess. And someone please let these MS magazines know that it's okay to publish articles and pictures of people who are "less than perfect" and unable to participate in every activity.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Best advice my physical therapist gave me was to "be kind" to myself. To listen to my body and do what I can do.........but to recognize that some days will be better and some days will be worse than others. I occasionally skip one day of PT and OT exercises due to leg/balance issues.......but rarely miss two days in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
            Best advice my physical therapist gave me was to "be kind" to myself. To listen to my body and do what I can do.........but to recognize that some days will be better and some days will be worse than others. I occasionally skip one day of PT and OT exercises due to leg/balance issues.......but rarely miss two days in a row.
            Excellent advice. Give yourself permission to take a rest but if at all possible don't allow it to derail your routine. Much of exercising is habit and it is amazing how quickly our bodies decondition from a lack of movement or reduction in our prior baseline of activity.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X