Yet another MRI question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another MRI question!

How thoroughly does your neuro really go over your MRI report? I just found old MRI reports on a hospital portal that I never looked at. Holy mackerel! No wonder do many posters ask about the language on those things! My doctor just kind skimmed over it quick...as if he did not want to scare me or something.

I am wondering about your doctors. Do they go through your MRI line by line? I mean, if you do not have a medical degree, the terminology is daunting! Even Google can't save me. If I knew I could have printed out that report from a portal, I would have brought it with me and made my doctor explain it word for word...maybe even asked for an extended appointment. Kind of too late now. These reports are ancient now and I doubt I will want another MRI any time soon. Not on a DMT and nearly 55 now.
    Tawanda

I’ve only had three MRI in 14 years. Last one was maybe a month and half ago. Never had one explained to me. I’m assuming it’s more for the doctors than the patients. Taking a picture of it all never made me feel better and I suspect if he went over them in detail I’d only feel worse. Guess I feel better not knowing so I have never asked what they look like. They are probably wondering why I’m still walking after looking at them ? They are used for DX primarily I think. Actually I think
    My last one was a baseline for when I started Ocrevus
    Protocol so to speak. It was my first DMD so maybe now they’ll have something to compare it too.

Hopefully my next ones will look lbetter
    That will be the plan. For
    Now I couldn’t care less. The last one took about one hour and seemed to knock the h-ll out of me.
    Really need to take my sleep med after posting not before LOL. If they call me in to discuss then it might be interesting if not couldn’t care less. It is what it is. Save the machines for somebody that they can help.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
      How thoroughly does your neuro really go over your MRI report?
      I have had one doctor that not only went over the MRI results with me but actually pulled up the MRI and showed me what she was talking about. The most interesting part for me was seeing that yes, I have the "Dawson fingers" that I have heard about. She was also the one that let me know that I have spinal lesions too. A good doctor!

The other neuros that I have had seemed to give me a summary of the report and never bothered to show me the actual report OR an image of the MRI. I ended up with the feeling that they maybe couldn't read an MRI?

I just found old MRI reports on a hospital portal that I never looked at. Holy mackerel! No wonder do many posters ask about the language on those things! My doctor just kind skimmed over it quick...as if he did not want to scare me or something.
      Imagine my surprise when I found out that I could actually get a disc with the not only the MRI but the report also! But I don't know what I am looking at with the MRIs and like you said the reports are too technical for me to understand much of. Maybe I am just too dumb to be concerned, but at least they have always found a brain . But having seen the MRI and the report I can at least ask questions abut specific things that concern me.

These reports are ancient now and I doubt I will want another MRI any time soon. Not on a DMT and nearly 55 now.
      Yeah I have less MRI's now than ever, but I have also been dx'ed a long time and am (always have been) fairly stable. My more recent ones were because of problems that I was having at the time, not a routine "It's time for another MRI" thing. And like you I am in later 50's and not on a DMD. Kinda no need if there isn't something to chase down ...

oceanpride ... "If they call me in to discuss then it might be interesting if not couldn’t care less. It is what it is. Save the machines for somebody that they can help."
      Yeah I have that attitude too - even to include going to the doctor. They can't do anything anyhow, so why bother going to hear that? Of course the doctors are the people that I have to rely on to fill out all the reports that seem to be required to let people know that my "incurable, progressive " disease is still incurable and progressing .

Comment

My first neurologist pulled up the MRI, pointed the lessons out, and how it tied to the report. After the 1st, he would look at it, then comment on MRI if something different in the image or report. So bummed when he retired.

My current neuro, he looked at when 1st transferred. I always ask questions when report is different. The last one, I was upset because it mentioned a prior brain bleed. Never in any of the reports before. He said they would monitor, but I had brought my original MRI disc, which when he looked at, had the same thing. I had been diagnosed with 2 concussions prior to MS. So in 13 years, only one radiologist ever noted it. How scary!

For me, most of the time, reports are different due to how detailed a radiologist is, not actual changes, or if changes, age appropriate findings. They just don't say that and I have to ask! So sad that not more of a standard.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          For me, most of the time, reports are different due to how detailed a radiologist is, not actual changes, or if changes, age appropriate findings. They just don't say that and I have to ask! So sad that not more of a standard.
          Also, different machines at different facilities make a difference-as well as technological advancements over all these years I have had M.S. My poor neuro only had my 2004 report (those IMAX photos in a huge envelope) to compare with my 2015 report. Like comparing apples and oranges. He had to come up with something all the same for the report he submitted. I also find myself seeing more about "age appropriate findings" and "for a patient of this age". It is what it is. I obviously don't have the young sexy brain I used to (or the young, sexy anything)!! Lol
          Tawanda

Comment

Working...
          X